Narrowband

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

2 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Just sold my ASI120MC because it’s incompatible with my tablet. 🤬

My 120MM works great in my old Win 7 USB2 laptop but I had trouble with the 1600MM. That's fixed now with the new laptop but the 120 wouldn't work!

7 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Just sold my ASI120MC because it’s incompatible with my tablet. 🤬

Hopefully it's new owner will put it to good use :D

6 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

My 120MM works great in my old Win 7 USB2 laptop but I had trouble with the 1600MM. That's fixed now with the new laptop but the 120 wouldn't work!

It seems like it’s the USB2 cameras that use the regular USB cables that give trouble with newer tablets but the ones that use the mini USB connection on the camera seem to work. 🤔

4 minutes ago, johninderby said:

It seems like it’s the USB2 cameras that use the regular USB cables that give trouble with newer tablets but the ones that use the mini USB connection on the camera seem to work. 🤔

Yes definitely a USB traffic issue. For ages I thought the issues with my 1600MM were because I use a Startech USB2 to CAT5 extender. It had a quirk where the 1600 wouldn't download images unless the 120 was looping frames in PHD!!! Every now and again it would also just give the dreaded BUSY message in APT and could stay that way for hours until I stopped the image plan and restarted it. Very infuriating as I couldn't take my eyes off it while imaging. Well, since moving to a modern laptop it works brilliantly. Downloads quicker and hasn't skipped a single frame. But then the 120 wouldn't work properly. It gives a split frame effect in both PHD and Sharpcap. Googling brings up results from CO and ZWO forums where it's a known issue for some. ZWO say they didn't anticipate such issues with USB3. As you have said though, the USB3 versions of the 120 and the new Minis have addressed the issue. I could have just swapped for one of those but it's nearly my birthday 😁

• Thanks 1

On 06/05/2019 at 22:09, johninderby said:

The Lacerta and TS solar finders are .also adjustable. 

And the Svbony solar finder is available with a mini ball head mount which makes it fully adjustable. I added the ball head afterwards and it works a treat.

DE3C4145-137A-46D2-98C9-ED89B2CD355F.jpeg

John have you a link to where I can obtain this Svbony solar finder from. Also I think you previously had a Lacerta solar finder - any opinion which you prefer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

John have you a link to where I can obtain this Svbony solar finder from. Also I think you previously had a Lacerta solar finder - any opinion which you prefer.

Available from a few German places but less than half the price on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SVBONY-Solar-Finder-Scope-Fully-Metal-For-Sun-Positioning-Solar-Eclipse-Observe/362366838367?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Ball head from Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0189228CS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Lacerta was good quality but prefer the Svbony as it is easier to use particularily once the etched lines on the disc are inked in.

• Thanks 1

New diagonal prism. It better be good or I'm in deep trouble.
Goodbye plastic unbranded mirror with repaired screw hole.

Now, what happened to those DSO's

Later: Goodness _ I can see a difference just eyeballing through it out the window as some thin wispy clouds, and next doors bricks, brighter and more contrast. The twist focus bit feel lovely and smooth.

WP_20190511_13_55_12_Pro (2).jpg

Edited by Fraunhoffer
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fraunhoffer said:

New diagonal prism. It better be good or I'm in deep trouble.
Goodbye plastic unbranded mirror with repaired screw hole.

Now, what happened to those DSO's

Later: Goodness _ I can see a difference just eyeballing through it out the window as some thin wispy clouds, and next doors bricks, brighter and more contrast. The twist focus bit feel lovely and smooth.

WP_20190511_13_55_12_Pro (2).jpg

That is a major upgrade to the optical system, it can't fail to improve things......,congratulations.

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Saganite said:

That is a major upgrade to the optical system, it can't fail to improve things......,congratulations.

Agree with Steve, the Baader prism is a top drawer piece of kit😀!!

Dave

• Thanks 1

On 10/05/2019 at 11:38, JeremyS said:

Knobs as per @johninderby's suggestion earlier on the Postman thread. Allows easier + quicker changing of EQ head between SW pier (used at home -first pic) and tripod+pier extender (for trips away - 2nd pic)

IMG_4575.JPG.0308ac4ca52b3b511dacd8d81f88c547.JPG

IMG_4577.JPG.665652dd02273fa00d86498ed8a65f8f.JPG

Just fitted mine too Jeremy and they worked very nicely. I used the plastic spacers and didn't have any immediate problems so fingers crossed they keep holding it firmly. Have done the GP-DX on the SW pillar and also my GP which is on a lovely Vixen pillar, handy if I want to switch it to a tripod to be more portable.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 08/05/2019 at 18:45, cloudsweeper said:

Congrats on your acquisition!  The ST120 is a nice 'scope - easy to handle, with great wide views (esp. with a 2" diagonal).  I have a good x2 Barlow for extra mag with mine.  The focuser is a weakness, but is OK.  (I did try a Crayford, but couldn't live with the way it slipped.)

I ditched the stock focuser on mine and replaced it with a dual-speed model.  So much better.

James

Decided to upgrade the 12inch Revelation focuser to a Baader Diamond Steeltrack. Fitted it whilst the mirrors are off at Orion Optics for recoating.  Feels like amazing quality piece of kit. Can’t wait to try it out. 😁Thanks to Harrison Telescopes for supplying so promptly. 

Steve 

75A68EF1-DA75-4846-B15B-0FC5376486CD.jpeg

F8A8B3D7-F736-4BED-919E-98F2AE60CE70.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

New Skywatcher 6x30mm RACI finder for use with my Tak FS128 and Vixen ED103s scopes.

I have an SW 9x50 RACi on the Tak but sometimes it would be useful to have a wider FOV (7deg for the 6x30 vs 5.5deg for the 9x50, I believe) and also less faint stars visible when hunting some objects from a star atlas.

Had some trouble finding one of these at UK stockists, but eventually did succeed and ordered yesterday afternoon from 365Astronomy, arrived well packed just now, 21 hours later!  Thanks to Zoltan and team:thumbsup:

Dave

IMG_20190514_114013026-351x624.jpg

IMG_20190514_114047055-351x624.jpg

Edited by F15Rules
photos added
  • Like 5

Hello all. Not quite a postman delivery as I went to get this myself.  Stellarvue SV102ED !!

Saw the advert on SGL  on Thursday and it immediately caught my eye.   Got on the phone that evening and ended up with a trip to Llandudno on Friday after work to see rhw1967  - Richard and the scope.  Got the whole package in the end as per the ad at a price that suited us both. 

The flight case still has the original label  on it noting serial No 0114 !!!! 

The Feathertouch swung the deal. I have one on my C9.25 of late and well impressed, as per posts on here from many happy users.  Reading reviews on the scope helped along the way. 

First light on Saturday evening  - up and down the lunar terminator with a big grin on my face.  No colour seen at all. 

This afternoon I've been doing some solar viewing with my Herschel wedge. AR  2741 looking epic in moments of good seeing at x80. 

Richard - it's everything you said it was. 

Clare skies all.   John 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Telescope40
Spelling issues
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1