SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

Replacement dew shield to fit my Skymax 180 from FLO. Astrozap changed the sizing of the one that used to fit without telling the dealers so the one previously sent by FLO wasn’t the right size. Anyway all sorted now and FLO included a Celestron Elements TrekCel 3300 - Torch / Power Pack free of charge to make up for the inconvieience. Good of them as the “mistake” wasn’t their fault in the first place.  ?

John

69BA6430-549A-461F-B56C-647E8441E73E.jpeg

• Like 3

They both seem to be thermometers but what for?  Seems a strange place to put a thermometer.  I have seen dials on focuser knobs before but thought they indicated focuser position.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lockie said:

I think the one on the scope is to aid in building up a darks library for different temps, but I have no idea why one would be needed on a diagonal? 

I thought the same or perhaps some observers may like to note the weather conditions in their notes. Anyway, it was bought primarily for compactness, weight, "windproof" imaging and nice round stars. The flattener and camera all screw onto the drawtube so it's a nice solid connection. The rack and pinion focuser is nice and smooth and focus doesn't appear to shift when the lock screw is tightened. I persevered last night and done some observing on Jupiter. It is a long way off from the light gathering abilities of the 200p, so I will still keep that for observing sessions. The WO gives crystal clear views and no sign of CA on Jupiter. I need to figure out how to balance it though as it's focuser heavy. Overall I'm well impressed with the build quality. Just need dark, moonless clear skies to go with it!!

• Like 1

Compass would be more useful. Binoculars can have them. 

Actually an ep with compass built in view NSEW /alt azi/RA Dec would be good for star hopping and eyes-through manual guiding.

Suppose it is possible with digiscoping if an on-screen digital compass app is running and displayed. I have tried a small mobile with a compass app running adjacent to my Telrad, which was quite good with auto rotate turned off. It ceased to be useful with dark sites that had poor or no signal. A small sat nav using continuing GPS, or orienteering watch with same would be better.

21 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

I thought the same or perhaps some observers may like to note the weather conditions in their notes. Anyway, it was bought primarily for compactness, weight, "windproof" imaging and nice round stars. The flattener and camera all screw onto the drawtube so it's a nice solid connection. The rack and pinion focuser is nice and smooth and focus doesn't appear to shift when the lock screw is tightened. I persevered last night and done some observing on Jupiter. It is a long way off from the light gathering abilities of the 200p, so I will still keep that for observing sessions. The WO gives crystal clear views and no sign of CA on Jupiter. I need to figure out how to balance it though as it's focuser heavy. Overall I'm well impressed with the build quality. Just need dark, moonless clear skies to go with it!!

I wasn't knocking WO by the way, although I know some of their 'scope bling' isn't for everyone, and the dials are curious. Very nearly bought the WO61, planned it for ages then the Tak60 came up at a good price! I've always been pleased with the WO scopes I've owned in the past, Meg72 and WO66SD's mainly. Like you say great build and yours being fpl53 and a triplet must be stunning, I found their little doublets to be very good indeed, enjoy :) 

Yes, I concur with the difficulty balancing these mini fracs, light lens cell close to the mount, and heavy focuser, I think some folk wrap an ankle weight around the front like a lead dew strap. 

Edited by Lockie

31 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

I need to figure out how to balance it though as it's focuser heavy.

You can rotate the focuser to the top and move it forwards on a longer dovetail which is what I did with the WO Star71.

Dave

Long-dovetail.png.3bda27eb010101029aee8220e3f3adcb.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

You can rotate the focuser to the top and move it forwards on a longer dovetail which is what I did with the WO Star71.

Dave

Good idea, thanks. I have a spare vixen dovetail so I could use that. Will have a play tonight indoors.

Not exactly the Postie but a courier brought 44 off 2.5m x 300mm plastic tongue and groove panels for cladding the exposed blockwork of a couple of our smaller observatories.

Interesting transaction. Ordered them from a W Midlands firm via eBay. Order confirmed and delivery to arrive via Hermes who emailed to confirm and said they were waiting for the items. Next day, "Good news" from Tuffnells saying that they will be delivering my order later that day and that the goods were in the van. Waited in for them and at 1.30pm, instead of "The Big Green Parcel Machine" the goods arrived via another courier company???. Overall, a seamless hassle free transaction at a good price. Finally, on later inspection, it appears that the goods were produced by a different company than the one listed on eBay. Isn't internet shopping a wonderful thing!   ?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Dave

@david_taurus83, i've got my scope exactly like @Davey-T has it in this picture because the focuser kept on hitting the Dec saddle. I'm glad Dave suggested me this because this also gives me nice and easy access to the focuser lock. Dave is a real life saver. Be like Dave :D

Edited by souls33k3r
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nothing so fancy for me today, but nonetheless an important improvement for my frac. 

_20180705_175340.thumb.JPG.bb44994c38092a1b916dce6899be18e0.JPG

Really feel the focuser on the bresser was a bit hard to get perfect focus with my ham fists. ? 

• Like 1

Dear APM sent me the correct prism I bought in their sale already (I am off to post the other back shortly)

Here is the correct one, a 2 inch roof prism diagonal mounted on my TV Genesis. 47mm clear aperture, no vignetting with my TV 55mm Plossl. Correct image, rotating ep lock and view as bright and clear as a dielectric mirror from both ends. My near end scopes have a day job now :)

IMG_20180706_125614.jpg

• Like 1

New battery for my obs'y laptop, bought when XP was the latest thing and still running it, for several years it's been complaining every time I started it up that the battery was knackered so finally given in and bought it one :grin:

Dave

Battery.png.37224d859b4d5e957164507aaecae4a2.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

New battery for my obs'y laptop, bought when XP was the latest thing and still running it, for several years it's been complaining every time I started it up that the battery was knackered so finally given in and bought it one :grin:

Dave

Battery.png.37224d859b4d5e957164507aaecae4a2.png

Why run the laptop using battery and not through mains? that's what i do

• Like 2

1 minute ago, souls33k3r said:

Why run the laptop using battery and not through mains? that's what i do

For the last few years it's been permanently plugged in the mains and whinging every time I started it.

If I unplugged it to take indoors to download the nights work by the time I got it indoors it shut down for lack of battery so I had to fetch the charger in with it.

Now hopefully I can just unplug it and take it indoors without the charger and without it shutting down.

Dave