Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

21 minutes ago, Gina said:

Depends how big the discount was.  But it will severely affect any resale value.

I don't mind that to be honest, @Gina - the purchase was part of a bigger plan to free up money for other uses. 

I sold some very expensive kit but decided I didn't want to do without the use of a nice big reflector for whenever it takes my fancy to use one. By the time I sell the accessories that I don't need and taking the discount, this thing will have cost me around £200. Not bad given that I planned to buy a new focuser for a 6" Orion Optics F11 Dob that currently doesn't have one but will now inherit the GSO Crayford from this scope when I fit my FeatherTouch Crayford to the 10" F5. Some creative maths then tells me the 10" only cost around £50 :lol: 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, iPeace said:

Hm...nice handle...and I've got the same family of rings on my own custom carbon newt. Where's the handle from? :happy11:

I have a spare one if you want it ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DRT said:

Some creative maths then tells me the 10" only cost around £50 :lol: 

That's an absolute steal - and a GSO mirror is already excellent value. Glad you have a light bucket to swing around when appropriate. :happy11:

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, iPeace said:

That's an absolute steal - and a GSO mirror is already excellent value. Glad you have a light bucket to swing around when appropriate. :happy11:

The light bucket is now ready to go ?

IMG_1301.jpg.1f2f558873665b6c28414959bce522ef.jpg

• Like 4

Just now, DRT said:

The light bucket is now ready to go ?

IMG_1301.jpg.1f2f558873665b6c28414959bce522ef.jpg

I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of view offered by a very cheerfully-priced 6" f/6 from GSO. It set me on the Newt Path (the fracs are staying, of course...).

:happy11:

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, iPeace said:

I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of view offered by a very cheerfully-priced 6" f/6 from GSO. It set me on the Newt Path (the fracs are staying, of course...).

:happy11:

Good to know and I look forward to looking through this. 

I can assure you my Fracs are feeling no stress as a result of this latest purchase ?

• Like 2

Mr Postperson called today with a couple of small packages..

The first one contained these:

IMG_20180723_125217922.jpg

The second contained a nice Circle T 4mm ortho volcano top, which I plan to compare with my Parks Gold 3.8mm.

I owned a full set of BGOs a few years ago and confess I have missed them for certain applications such as lunar, planets and double stars.

I often wished they had offered the BGO lens set in a Circle T volcano top body..but I can use these with winged eyeguards, which I do find helpful in keeping my eyelash off the lens with the short eye relief..

I do like orthos..:thumbsup:

Dave

image017.jpg

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 6

An Orion Apex 102 Mak and an Astrozap Dewshield arrived today.

I used have a 90 Mak for grab and go and as a travel scope but sold it a few months ago and have regretted it ever since.

The apex 102 is it's replacement. I wanted to get the Skymax 102 but I have been told there are none available until October. 

The pouch hanging on the tripod contains an Hyperion 24, the diagonal is a WO erect image with helical focuser and the eyepiece is a Baader 8-24 Zoom. For mounting I'm using a Ravelli photo tripod and a TS AZ mount. The day time views are sharp and crisp and the focuser is nice and smooth. The whole setup is light enough to carry around with one hand.

Hoping for some clear skies tonight to get first light.

image.thumb.jpeg.09d56f4d6080883f772c17755113cea5.jpeg

Avtar

Edited by avtaram
  • Like 1

The DHL man delivered a brown box with my Solarscope 70 filter set returned from the IoM after a service and replacement of the glass in the BF  (quite relieved the contrast problem was just that not something more expensive!!)

................................. so expect no sun for days guys...... ?

Helen

24 minutes ago, avtaram said:

An Orion Apex 102 Mak and an Astrozap Dewshield arrived today.

I used have a 90 Mak for grab and go and as a travel scope but sold it a few months ago and have regretted it ever since.

The apex 102 is it's replacement. I wanted to get the Skymax 102 but I have been told there are none available until October. 

The pouch hanging on the tripod contains an Hyperion 24, the diagonal is a WO erect image with helical focuser and the eyepiece is a Baader 8-24 Zoom. For mounting I'm using a Ravelli photo tripod and a TS AZ mount. The day time views are sharp and crisp and the focuser is nice and smooth. The whole setup is light enough to carry around with one hand.

Hoping for some clear skies tonight to get first light.

image.thumb.jpeg.09d56f4d6080883f772c17755113cea5.jpeg

Avtar

Im pretty sure the dew shield is meant to go on the front of the scope.

*tongue in cheek*........i cant be bothered waiting for the emoji to load.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Helen said:

The DHL man delivered a brown box with my Solarscope 70 filter set returned from the IoM after a service and replacement of the glass in the BF  (quite relieved the contrast problem was just that not something more expensive!!)

................................. so expect no sun for days guys...... ?

Helen

Amazingly the sun then came out.... so I got a chance to check it out ?   (just hope there are no after-effects from my near-miss accident :rolleyes:)

2018-07-23-1801-sun-col.thumb.jpg.482dd1b30d2ad780f8e83726979373e1.jpg

Helen

• Like 4

On 25/07/2018 at 11:49, LukeSkywatcher said:

It's here. 

Great tripod and pistol grip. I had it out with the big bins last night having a look around. Very solid build and excellent quality. Takes a bit of getting used to the pistol. It can take a load of 11 pounds. 

• Like 2