SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

?

I tried my new 6mm HD-OR today (for almost 2 hours) and it's exactly what I was expecting and even more. It's a very good eyepiece, super sharp on the moon, it will reveal faint surface details far better then my 4.7mm, the overall sharpness and total resolution is just amazing. It's the power sweet spot for my telescope 166x probably. 

I could see a blue festoon on Jupiter, getting out of the NEB and spreading into the equatorial region, that's the most impressive blue cloud I have ever seen with my telescope so far.

? I am impressed and what luck? to be able to test the new eyepiece on the very same day? ? thank god

• Like 2

So this arrived today  ?  just in time for Rhodes tomorrow.  Hope the star adventurer mini can cope?.   The Sony camera is quite light so hopefully weight won't be a problem, but at 135 I'll probably need decent polar alignment (and @James knows how great I am at that?)

Helen 

IMG_20180525_123555.jpg

IMG_20180525_123608.jpg

• Like 6

20 hours ago, N3ptune said:

@Lockie Has @JeremyS said, I think the same thing, I can retract my eye quite far away for my 7mm and still retain the image of the planet, they have good tolerance for eye distance. Although, it's probably not the definition of real comfort with eye relief.  ?

Very good quality/price for the poor man, the purist or the realist. ?

Here is my bit cat with my collection of 2 Orthoscopic ?

XOAJMc2.jpg?1

Have you tried using a Baader style winged eyeguard with orthos?

I used to find them quite comfortable and kept my eyelash from touching the glass ?

Dave

• Like 2

Hey it's my big cat again! Hello! ?

@F15Rules No I don't have any special eye guard like the Baader but taught of conceiving something myself with a simple shape like some kind of a soft extension ring made out of rubber.. 

I see they sell eye guards on Agena's website $2.25 each.

https://agenaastro.com/agena-eye-guard-1-25-eyepieces-id-28-4mm.html

You can remove the eyeguard of the BCO and install it on a Fujiyama? it looks very custom made for the Baader EP.

uW9MWSB.png?1

43 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Have you tried using a Baader style winged eyeguard with orthos?

I used to find them quite comfortable and kept my eyelash from touching the glass ?

Dave

I second that opinion. I use winged eyeguards on a lot of my eyepieces. Really does work well. If the rubber eyeguard is a bit too big, simply cut and put inside the eyeguard, a small strip of that sticky backed velour often used for inside of scope tubes, for a snug fit.

Added bonus is that the rubber can act as a shield against sub zero aluminium touching eye socket area, should you be brave/insane enough to venture out in those conditions.

Andy.

• Like 1

I've also seen people use cut pieces of bicycle inner tubes as eyeguards. I think you slip the tube on the ep then fold the rubber back over itself, creating a nice comfy fit which can also be adjusted up or down. Quite good for the rare ep's which have overly long eye relief.

Andy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 25/05/2018 at 10:21, AndyH said:

I've also seen people use cut pieces of bicycle inner tubes as eyeguards. I think you slip the tube on the ep then fold the rubber back over itself, creating a nice comfy fit which can also be adjusted up or down. Quite good for the rare ep's which have overly long eye relief.

Andy.

That's a very good idea ?, I want to build my own eye guards with inner tubes, they come with special glue, the one used to patch the tube in case of a puncture? I believe I can build some good eye guards with that and self adhesive felt.

Thanks for that Idea. ?

• Like 1

I've just got a Synscan Wifi adapter. Setting up last night was a breeze. Soooo much easier to use than the handset. No more walking around with the mount as it slews so the cable doesn't wrap around! Also purchased Sky Safari Pro on my Galaxy S7 and it worked seamlessly. Cracking little gadget.

It wasn't Christmas but I got a few items in that ... I ordered :)  A Die Hard  950 Power supply jump starter has 2-12 Volt cigarette plugs, I use it to power my Celestron 8 GPS. I also got in the Landing Pad from Starizona I really love this thing. it saves me a lot of frustration trying to place the scope on the tripod and center it on that lone pin. 

IMG_20180527_083803596_LL.jpg

Edited by Giada
add photo

Hello. These came into my possession on Friday.  TS OPTICS  16x70 45 degree binos. Always fancied a pair. Came with all the original kit - carry case, cloth bag and gloves plus a blower. Three pair of eyepieces came along too !! The ones to give the 16x mag plus a pair of 12mm and 17 mm's. 

Will be used with my binoviewers and see how they compare with the TV zooms I currently use with the BV's. 

John 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Telescope40 said:

Hello. These came into my possession on Friday.  TS OPTICS  16x70 45 degree binos. Always fancied a pair. Came with all the original kit - carry case, cloth bag and gloves plus a blower. Three pair of eyepieces came along too !! The ones to give the 16x mag plus a pair of 12mm and 17 mm's. 

Will be used with my binoviewers and see how they compare with the TV zooms I currently use with the BV's. 

John 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Nice. I saw those on abs. I can't remember what the price was but it seemed like a bit of a a steal. If they had been 90° instead of 45° I'd have gone for them myself. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, laudropb said:

ust delivered by the Amazon person.

07B4541D-E5CC-439F-81B9-49874BE3E7AB.jpeg

This is an excellent book by all accounts - look forward to hearing how you like it. Bill Leatherbarrow, BAA Lunar Section Director, is certainly the right person to author such a book!

• Like 3

On 27/05/2018 at 18:11, Telescope40 said:

John 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Congratulations John!

They should deliver somefabulous summer Milky Way views - look forward to your first light report .

Dave

Edited by F15Rules

3 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Congratulations John!

They should deliver see fabulous summer Milky Way views - look forward to your first light report ?.

Dave

Hello Dave and Jeremy.  

Appreciate your comments. 

Jeremy - I did get them off the ABS website. Bit of negotiation but I think I got a very very good deal. 

Dave - think I've got the bino part of this hobby covered now. Along with the pair of Pentax I took off your hands and a pair of WW2 ex military 6x 30's that I love, I'm sorted. Milky Way here I come. 

Already looking to add a RDF to the TS Optics as I think this may be a nice addition plus I also have an O-lll filter. Wondering if I bought a second one they might give me some enhanced views with the "big" ones. 

New threads to follow asking for advice on both subjects. 

Clear skies. John 

• Like 2

Woohoo!!!!! 

Look what arrived just now. My Lunt 8x32 WL Solar Bins. Mark@beaufort (whom I bought them from) was not telling fibs when he said they are as new. These bins look like I've just gone to a shop and bought them. There isn't even a scratch on the box. 

Sun's out, so time to go see what these puppies can do. 

Full report later in the review section. 

DSC_0204.JPG

DSC_0205.JPG

• Like 6

1 hour ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Woohoo!!!!! 

Look what arrived just now. My Lunt 8x32 WL Solar Bins. Mark@beaufort (whom I bought them from) was not telling fibs when he said they are as new. These bins look like I've just gone to a shop and bought them. There isn't even a scratch on the box. 

Sun's out, so time to go see what these puppies can do. 

Full report later in the review section. 

DSC_0204.JPG

DSC_0205.JPG

Look nice Paul, enjoy the sunshine

Its raining here in southern Essex.

Nice be avatar