SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

13 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Same here... that “haze” turned into a full on proper fog 😬Still, got 90mins on the moon and Mars too and an excellent view through the new dob 👍Hope you got some good views 😃

Until the fog showed up, the views were superb !

• Like 1

My TS Optics fork-mount arrived for the giant obsy bins from Germany in under 48hr. I went for it now in case things get pricier after January. So much uncertainty. 

This is a much more refined set-up than my home-made fork mount and holds the 7.2kg bins near zenith effortlessly. So far. It seems well made though.

The max payload is 8kg I think, so I'm nearing the limit, but will report back if there are any issues in a binocular observing report soon.

I also picked up an 80mm Vixen rail to attach the bins to the mount, a dimmable low power red LED torch and a large sheet of red film from RVO as it was all in stock, quick shipping there too, thank you!

IMG_20201127_093521382~2.jpg

IMG_20201127_093601391~2_1.jpg

Edited by Ships and Stars
  • Like 13

Today, I'm scheduled to receive this, direct from China, and via AliExpress: a TMB 4mm planetary...

1027099003_TMB4mm.JPG.42419b4cb9204f263a434b159deebf7f.JPG

I got fed up waiting, for months, for Agena Astro in California to get more in stock, and under the BST marque.  AA is the only source for them here in the U.S. 

In addition, I'm getting it for a little over half of the price that AA charges for it.  However, I have no idea what's going to be in that package once it arrives.  It could be a counterfeit, or a second...

...or a package filled with hair-clips.

I also ordered the 6mm, just a day or two ago, for slightly less outlay, but it hasn't been loaded onto the junk yet.

The 4mm will arrive none too soon, and for the upcoming union of Jupiter and Saturn.

• Like 7

I’m waiting for a van to deliver my first ever telescope... was originally leaning towards a Skyliner 150p or 200p but after considering moving it around from place to place I went for the Explorer 150p instead. Just need it to be delivered so I can get started!

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Deadlake said:

How much weight does it save you over the steel tripod you have?

Further to my earlier response, having now actually weighed the things, rather than guessing (:rolleyes2:) I find that the Berlebach Uni 28 weighs in at 7.5kg compared to the EQ6 steel tripod plus 8 inch pillar total of 10 kg. So that's a useful weight saving :smiley:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

Been posted before but with Christmas coming and maybe bringing presents from other folk worth noting.

Dave

Parcel-scam.png.b82469a4b7a9ee272d425c3681528a94.png

Thanks for this, will keep a watchful eye out.

I am surprised that OFCOM (or whoever monitors these things) allow a premium rate number with that kind of initial charge... I can think of no legitimate reason why any number should have a billing rate so high 😮

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Thanks for this, will keep a watchful eye out.

I am surprised that OFCOM (or whoever monitors these things) allow a premium rate number with that kind of initial charge... I can think of no legitimate reason why any number should have a billing rate so high 😮

Don’t think the company actually exists and it is purely a scam. 🤔

• Like 1

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

Don’t think the company actually exists and it is purely a scam. 🤔

Oh totally, but even so, how can a premium number exist in the UK regulated telecoms system that has that kind of instant charge attached to it... that needs addressing 😬

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Oh totally, but even so, how can a premium number exist in the UK regulated telecoms system that has that kind of instant charge attached to it... that needs addressing 😬

You can, if you're with BT, but I suspect with most telcos, bar premium rate numbers from your line, it doesn't cost anything to put into place.

There should be some IVR that allows you to know the cost of a premium rate call before you actually get connected.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Been posted before but with Christmas coming and maybe bringing presents from other folk worth noting.

Dave

Parcel-scam.png.b82469a4b7a9ee272d425c3681528a94.png

According to the police this scam was shut down in 2005.   All email warnings about it since then are hoaxes.

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/news/hoax-email-from-pds-parcel-delivery-service

Edited to change text to a link

Edited by LongJohn54
  • Thanks 2

Had a birthday this week and was given a rather lovely collection of 50 postcards, each featuring a historical space/astronomical image. They are not just beautiful - but fascinating too. Thought they might appeal to SGL members so have attached details.
Should confirm that I have no connection with the publisher. 

470FAE9D-74FB-46E8-B868-DB90E1BD5C1D.jpeg

61FB63CC-D65E-43A7-B0CC-13A5B4A4244F.jpeg

• Like 13

10 hours ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Yesterday, an unexpected delivery by the postie of a little far eastern thingummy I ordered 10 days ago which had an expected delivery date in January ...

wixey.jpg.21bda8c111416dbf400b71d220c24b1a.jpg

Now I need to think about making a setting circle ...

I've got the same one. Works a treat with the setting circles on the sky tee.

Used this to create the circle

https://www.blocklayer.com/protractor-printeng.aspx

Steve

Edited by Steve Clay