NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

On 02/12/2020 at 15:17, TerryMcK said:

A DynaSun WT011H Professional Tripod Head Grip for use when using binoculars. First impressions are it is absolutely astonishing - why didn't I buy one of these years ago for use with my cameras too.

image.png.698dac1b309938e6d63c7abe63f1d2c1.png 

That's the same as the Ravelli branded and the Amazon basics trigger grip and ball heads set up. Great value for money, had mine for 5 or 6 years. Just be sure to check tensions now and again, they can need adjusting sometimes.

Our resident Binocular expert, Steve Tonkin (@BinocularSky) posted a very useful unofficial "manual" for these heads, if you search the Binocular forum for Ravelli Trigger Grip or similar you should find it👍

Dave

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Been waiting for this for 10 days..

Feels like Christmas!😊👍

Vintage Carton Japan 60mm F11.8 refractor in complete, mint condition with EQ mount, finder, eyepieces etc..:hello2: imported by first owner direct from Japan.

Dave

IMG_20201208_114650597.jpg

IMG_20201208_120359790.jpg

IMG_20201208_120436305.jpg

IMG_20201208_121404388.jpg

IMG_20201208_120633678.jpg

1607197461007_Carton 60mm 1.jpg

😮 amazing find! All complete & original boxes 👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, F15Rules said:

Feels like Christmas!😊👍

Vintage Carton Japan 60mm F11.8 refractor in complete, mint condition with EQ mount, finder, eyepieces etc..:hello2: imported by first owner direct from Japan.

Dave

Nice handles on those drawers, Dave.

Very nice scope too!

• Haha 4

That's the same as the Ravelli branded and the Amazon basics trigger grip and ball heads set up. Great value for money, had mine for 5 or 6 years. Just be sure to check tensions now and again, they can need adjusting sometimes.

Our resident Binocular expert, Steve Tonkin (@BinocularSky) posted a very useful unofficial "manual" for these heads, if you search the Binocular forum for Ravelli Trigger Grip or similar you should find it👍

Dave

Yep, same as Revelli. I bought one a couple of years ago with tripod. Great kit for bins. I paid about 60 quid.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Feels like Christmas!😊👍

Dave

That's a lovely looking refractor setup 😃

It looks like this exact one... http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/CartonCometSeek.htm... love reading this guys reviews 👍

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 1

I managed a (very) quick view through the Morpheus 14mm (alongside the Pentax XW14) the other night and was impressed enough with the view that I decided to add it's longer focal length brother... the Morpheus 17.5mm.

I'm still undecided as to which are "better" (if any) between the XW or Morpheus, but will be putting this up against the XW20 when I can. I do think there is space for both sets anyway, so we will see 🤔

Morpheus_17.5.jpg

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 6

Dave

Yes it was with advice from Steve's website that I bought this one. I had first light with it and my Helios Stellar-II 20 x 80's the other night looking at Saturn and Jupiter. The grip makes it so much easier and the binocs are awesome. 🖖

• Like 3

I have just received an Altair-Astro Herschel Solar wedge for the sunny days. It comes in a smart little aluminium flight case (not that I would stuff it into an aircraft hold) and some Haribo's.

It looks very well made but it is in anodised gold. I wish they did it in William Optics red to go with my red WO scopes 😃 but never mind. I've just got to wait for a bit of sun now!

image.png.7ba760e73a3c61b01b33b554e4f91a79.png

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

I have just received an Altair-Astro Herschel Solar wedge for the sunny days. It comes in a smart little aluminium flight case (not that I would stuff it into an aircraft hold) and some Haribo's.

It looks very well made but it is in anodised gold. I wish they did it in William Optics red to go with my red WO scopes 😃 but never mind. I've just got to wait for a bit of sun now!

image.png.7ba760e73a3c61b01b33b554e4f91a79.png

Love it, brilliant for solar. Over to the light side. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Feels like Christmas!😊👍

Dave

IMG_20201208_114650597.jpg

IMG_20201208_120633678.jpg

Now that is a very elegant scope.  Congratulations & well found!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Love it, brilliant for solar. Over to the light side. 

What camera are you using in it Nigella? I've got either a ZWO ASI120MM mini or a ZWO ASI183MM and MC. I'm mounting it on either my ZS73 or ZS103 WO scopes.

1 hour ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Yep, same as Revelli. I bought one a couple of years ago with tripod. Great kit for bins. I paid about 60 quid.

I picked up a pukka Manfrotto one for around £18 a couple years back, easy to overhaul and touch up the paint and works a treat. Defo worth checking if one is available before shelling out for a new one of other brand I think 🙂

9 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

What camera are you using in it Nigella? I've got either a ZWO ASI120MM mini or a ZWO ASI183MM and MC. I'm mounting it on either my ZS73 or ZS103 WO scopes.

Go with the zs103 wo scope and the mono. I use either a 120mm or the 178mm. Haven't got the 183mm so can't comment. Depending on what you want to do. Full disk or close up. Try https://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/

You can put in your equipment and object, is the sun to find out your field of view with different computations. With the 120mm I needed. 0.5 reducer for full disk.

Edited by Nigella Bryant
More comment
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

I picked up a pukka Manfrotto one for around £18 a couple years back, easy to overhaul and touch up the paint and works a treat. Defo worth checking if one is available before shelling out for a new one of other brand I think 🙂

@DaveL59. Why were you sad when reading my post about buying the Revelli pistol grip and tripod?. They were brand new. 60 quid was cheap. I got it because someone here did a heads up about them, and my Horizon 8115 was starting to slip when I mounted my 20x90 Strathspey bins.

Sorry everyone, I'm going off topic. 

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

13 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

@DaveL59. Why were you sad when reading my post about buying the Revelli pistol grip and tripod?. They were brand new. 60 quid was cheap. I got it because someone here did a heads up about them, and my Horizon 8115 was starting to slip when I mounted my 20x90 Strathspey bins.

Sorry everyone, I'm going off topic. 

I was more flagging up that there are other and possibly cheaper options in case folks weren't aware

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

I was more flagging up that there are other and possibly cheaper options in case folks weren't aware

Ah ok. I was just wondering. I dont know how much the pistol grip at top of page cost. There's always going to be cheaper models of the same things. They can be as good as, better or worse. 

60 pounds for the Revelli pistol grip AND tripod, I think was a bargain. Pretty sure I got it on Amazon.

*Edit*

Just checked the Dynasun grip and tripod on Amazon. 43 Pounds.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Ah ok. I was just wondering. I dont know how much the pistol grip at top of page cost. There's always going to be cheaper models of the same things. They can be as good as, better or worse. 

60 pounds for the Revelli pistol grip AND tripod, I think was a bargain. Pretty sure I got it on Amazon.

don't know either, the Manfrotto 222 is very solid and I think these are essentially copies as they aren't made any more. Upside is the 222 uses the 200PL QR plate of which there are many clones, but the clone of the holders I found so far are not quite the same tolerances. Some fit, others need a little bit of grinding the edges. Guess its down to convenience tho, some like me will have a few QR plates to make switching things around easier, others will just fit the QR plate onto the thing they want to use and then refit it to the next...

For sure 60 was a good price new, I expect the Manfrotto were a lot more back when they were around on the market 🙂 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

don't know either, the Manfrotto 222 is very solid and I think these are essentially copies as they aren't made any more. Upside is the 222 uses the 200PL QR plate of which there are many clones, but the clone of the holders I found so far are not quite the same tolerances. Some fit, others need a little bit of grinding the edges. Guess its down to convenience tho, some like me will have a few QR plates to make switching things around easier, others will just fit the QR plate onto the thing they want to use and then refit it to the next...

For sure 60 was a good price new, I expect the Manfrotto were a lot more back when they were around on the market 🙂 

I have 3 QR plates. One for camera (not that I use it), one for bins and one for small scopes. All of these are permanently attached to above mentioned.

These I use with my pistol grip and tripod.

I have a whole different scope,mount and tripod for solar observing (Bresser 102xs and Skywatcher Az5 mount and tripod). Also a Quark Chromosphere.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher
  • Like 1