Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

4 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Happy birthday Nigella. Nifty collection of astro gifts you have there. I had no idea that Baader sells an imaging Ca-K filter. What a great way to get into Ca-K a little more affordably.

Thanks, have to see what the Ca-K line filter is like. Obviously it's not going to be anywhere like a proper Ca-K Lunt or Quark Ca-h. I think it'll show a little more detail than white light. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

I had no idea that Baader sells an imaging Ca-K filter. What a great way to get into Ca-K a little more affordably.

Nor I.  Once I have my Ha setup in action again I shall think on that.

And happy birthday, Nigella :)

James

• Like 1

the long river placed dropped some of this off, along with a book on the A77ii. The 303 was bought to rejuvinate the rubber grips on some of my old lenses that had gone grey/white
image.png.dcf19048570bd6f934687b9599a61c6b.png

Usefully adds UV protection too and only needs a tiny amount, tho the lens above needed a toothbrush to get into the tiny ridges. I expect it may help on eyecups too, will have a gradual work through on those over time, but on the camera lenses they look like new after cleaning up with this stuff.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Just WOW today. Lovely birthday gifts. I'm overwhelmed. Some had to be solar related, lol. And it's not even Christmas yet, lol.

IMG_20201205_122801__01.jpg

IMG_20201205_122651.jpg

IMG_20201205_122858__01.jpg

IMG_20201205_122906__01.jpg

IMG_20201205_122806__01.jpg

IMG_20201205_122732.jpg

IMG_20201205_122719.jpg

Happy birthday X

Its my birthday today too (5th). You have done considerably better than me 😉

I was just hoping for a clear night for my birthday but it’s not to be. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dantooine said:

Happy birthday X

Its my birthday today too (5th). You have done considerably better than me 😉

I was just hoping for a clear night for my birthday but it’s not to be. 

Thanks Dantooine, there's a few of us on here with the same birthday, Stu as well, lol. Says it's clear tomorrow night though. I've definitely been spoilt this birthday. I'm always asked if I want my best presents for my birthday or Christmas. I always think that's unfair cus other people get the good presents on both, lol. I'll probably get soaps and socks for Christmas, lol. 

Edited by Nigella Bryant
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Thanks Dantooine, there's a few of us on here with the same birthday, Stu as well, lol. Says it's clear tomorrow night though. I've definitely been spoilt this birthday. I'm always asked if I want my best presents for my birthday or Christmas. I always think that's unfair cus other people get the good presents on both, lol. 

Astronomers are an odd sort to cater for at Christmas and Birthdays, what we want and what we really really want, costs thousands of pounds, and is beyond the budget of most people. Must say though, that the FLO options for gifts have been well thought out to not offend potential gift givers on price etc...

If you are considering giving an astro friend a present, I would recommend the voucher route though, will save a lot of false smiles on the day, when they get a collimator for their refractor.

Happy Birthday, by the way.

Edited by gilesco
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, gilesco said:

Astronomers are an odd sort to cater for at Christmas and Birthdays, what we want and what we really really want, costs thousands of pounds, and is beyond the budget of most people. Must say though, that the FLO options for gifts have been well thought out to not offend potential gift givers on price etc...

If you are considering giving an astro friend a present, I would recommend the voucher route though, will save a lot of false smiles on the day, when they get a collimator for their refractor.

Happy Birthday, by the way.

That's a really good idea. Do they do a £1000 voucher, lol. 

Edited by Nigella Bryant
More comment added
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

That's a really good idea. Do they do a £1000 voucher, lol. 

No, but I take cheques 😆😆

I expect Steve to chip in soon and remind us that returns and exchanges are extended to end of January, and I expect most astro retailers have a similar deal.

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Thanks Dantooine, there's a few of us on here with the same birthday, Stu as well, lol. Says it's clear tomorrow night though. I've definitely been spoilt this birthday. I'm always asked if I want my best presents for my birthday or Christmas. I always think that's unfair cus other people get the good presents on both, lol. I'll probably get soaps and socks for Christmas, lol. 

I must be getting old as the prospect of new socks is exciting. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

today received  finder scope holder that fits the big TAL-2 finder - will need one of the rings moving on the finder as well as a smidge shaved off one edge of the dovetail to fit into the TAL100RS foot. Also a couple chipped adaptors for the A77II, one T2 and a M42 in case I decide to get a few vintage lenses to play with 🙂 
image.png.19b2bed7ddfac3bcf91c9da2e0c146e7.png

Update - so I filed the dovetail foot to get it to slip into the in-built finder shoe on the TAL100RS focuser and then a slight notch in the edge to assist the single lock screw to retain this huge finder, mounted up and aligned on a chimney 120ft or so away:
image.png.ad84be090a4b2706639f6349c2a72452.png

That is one huge finder, at 50mm it's half the diameter of the scope's 100 😄 

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 12

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

Two “more bigger” amici prisms for the “homebrew right angle binocular project”... now to start finishing the different parts of it.

Peter

Ooooh... what are you building? Any hints or still top secret? Are you modding an existing pair to right angle, or building from two refractors? Sorry! Caught my attention 😆 If there was a reasonable way to replicate the EMS I'd love to see it. 

Postie delivered one of these nice Geoptik EQ6 - HEQ5 tripod adapters. Both my heavier duty tripods are EQ6 fitting so this gives me the option to use the Giro Ercole or the Skytee II on those. While I do like the wood finish of the Berlebach Uni 28, I must say that the Ercole also looks rather smart on the EQ6 with the adapter. Pretty solid as well :smiley:

P1090777.JPG.4ea3119888196c04efb7ea62f1599dc6.JPG

P1090778.JPG.ad59ecee46902ed68f09838fd79cb571.JPG

Edited by John
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Been waiting for this for 10 days..

Feels like Christmas!😊👍

Vintage Carton Japan 60mm F11.8 refractor in complete, mint condition with EQ mount, finder, eyepieces etc..:hello2: imported by first owner direct from Japan.

Dave

IMG_20201208_114650597.jpg

IMG_20201208_120359790.jpg

IMG_20201208_120436305.jpg

IMG_20201208_121404388.jpg

IMG_20201208_120633678.jpg

1607197461007_Carton 60mm 1.jpg

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 19