Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

Another couple of Omnis from Aliexpress 11/11 sale - for  a tenner apiece it would be rude not to. Almost have the whole set now. They're not at all bad, but the eye relief on the low focal lengths is a bit tight.

1606582962022975171882.jpg

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

I have read some good things about the 17.5mm Morpheus. Cant wait to try it on targets such as the orion nebula!

I'm surprised how much smaller it is than some of the other focal lengths in the range.

Thanks for the quick delivery Harrison Telescopes 👍

DSC_1066.JPG

DSC_1067.JPG

👍 how many is that now?

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Dantooine said:

👍 how many is that now?

This many 😁

Really looking forward to trying out the 17.5mm

The 9mm is my favourite (don't tell the others in the collection I said that) , the moon looked absolutely stunning through it earlier this week.

The 14mm is a close 2nd, giving some. Lovely WFOV views of open clusters.

I would like the 4.5mm aswell for high power views. However with our poor conditions I am not in a rush to aquire it!

Baz

DSC_1068.JPG

Edited by Barry-W-Fenner
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

This many 😁

Really looking forward to trying out the 17.5mm

The 9mm is my favourite (don't tell the others in the collection I said that) , the moon looked absolutely stunning through it earlier this week.

I would like the 4.5mm aswell for high power views. However with our poor conditions I am not in a rush to aquire it!

Baz

DSC_1068.JPG

What’s your high magnification with those?

2 hours ago, Dantooine said:

What’s your high magnification with those?

Currently the 6.5mm yields x230 in the 300p.

A nice power, however I have not been able to utilise it often in recent months due to the very poor conditions. The 4.5 will offer a huge x333, I doubt it would see much use though.

The 9mm gives a pleasing x167 and very comfortable eye relief. As mentioned above I had some beautiful views of the moon earlier in the week with this eye piece. I really enjoy using  each of them though, I just hope to get a bit more time using the 6.5 soon!

Baz👍

Edited by Barry-W-Fenner
  • Like 1

This last week I got a few things, including an eyepiece from Harrisons sent in a Jiffy bag! What's that all about?   The other things were from FLO and far better packed.

707199788_IMG_20201128_193022_5-Copy.thumb.jpg.21de890e3abdeded65a7aa1823ce7e2b.jpg

The synscan is for my AZGTi, not because I am hoping it will operate better without the app, ( my mount can be tempramental... ) but because I like the tactile control offered by the arrow buttons. I am also hoping that it will mean I can dispense with the app crashing and ruining my night vision.  This is just the tip of the iceberg, with other things incoming, so I expect it will be weeks before I get to test things. :rolleyes2:

Edited by Greymouser
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Greymouser said:

This last week I got a few things, including an eyepiece from Harrisons sent in a Jiffy bag! What's that all about?   The other things were from FLO and far better packed.

707199788_IMG_20201128_193022_5-Copy.thumb.jpg.21de890e3abdeded65a7aa1823ce7e2b.jpg

The synscan is for my AZGTi, not because I am hoping it will operate better without the app, ( my mount can be tempramental... ) but because I like the tactile control offered by the arrow buttons. I am also hoping that it will mean I can dispense with the app crashing and ruining my night vision.  This is just the tip of the iceberg, with other things incoming, so I expect it will be weeks before I get to test things. :rolleyes2:

.... I get lots of wifi drops and direction pressing is a pain with a screen. So I popped an old handset in (FLO for the cable). I made a printed handset holder with a hook on the back, which I hook over a long M12 bolt I screw into the back of the altitude axis. So the handset is  easy to reach and use. Also power the mount using a cheap USB 5v to 12V adapter and a USB powertank... just enough current supply. 

Peter

• Like 1

On 28/11/2020 at 17:03, Ags said:

Just a little orange adapter to connect a finderscope to my Canon EF to T2 adapter.

20201128_170023.thumb.jpg.9eef17fbca18e3373e4d77102ef0200d.jpg

It was a full moon but I had a test run tonight on M31 and the double cluster. Now that I have a finder, the setup (ASI178MM, 100/f2.8 macro lens and AZ-GTi) is a real pleasure to use!

Edited by Ags
  • Like 2

More bits from the AliExpress sale. A right angle finder and a small dew heater - my Hyperflex zoom keeps dewing up lately on the few clear nights we get. The finder is optically very good, but the mount is hopeless - there isn't enough adjustment on the alignment screws to line it up, without it all going floppy. Thankfully I've been through this before with a replacement finder for the Celestron Travelscope - the castings for the mount need a small amount shaving off the underside at the front. I think it's the same casting again, with the same problem. So it's out with the coarse [removed word] file again!

David

16067427255271472725950.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, MrFreeze said:

More bits from the AliExpress sale. A right angle finder and a small dew heater - my Hyperflex zoom keeps dewing up lately on the few clear nights we get. The finder is optically very good, but the mount is hopeless - there isn't enough adjustment on the alignment screws to line it up, without it all going floppy. Thankfully I've been through this before with a replacement finder for the Celestron Travelscope - the castings for the mount need a small amount shaving off the underside at the front. I think it's the same casting again, with the same problem. So it's out with the coarse [removed word] file again!

David

Ooooh, I have been wondering about a right angle finder, but funds are tight unless I sell stuff, unless I can find a cheap one... I figure I need a right angle finder as I am struggling with my straight-through one on my 10 inch dob. Trying to find stuff nearly straight up is almost impossible for me now unless I get some serious Yoga lessons. And many other positions are painful these days! I think this device would go quite some way to curing my woes! Though my funds are restricted at the mo (I am recently out of work) it has been lovely seeing all your goodies on this thread, it gives me some of the excitement without the cost!

Edited by Luke
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MrFreeze said:

David

I think with that finder design the image is the right way up but left and right are still reversed.

Same view as a refractor / mak-cass / SCT when using a mirror diagonal.

The yoga stuff is why I got it! With mars in the position it is, I have to do a meridian flip after about 9:30pm as the RA motor catches on the saddle of my maksutov, and I end up hanging upside down trying to look through the finder. Been after a cheap one for a while, and got this from LanWan Optical Instruments - came with a free blue (82A) filter as well. It's gone up a bit now the sale is over, but still a pretty good price £23.58 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000578781663.html

I think with that finder design the image is the right way up but left and right are still reversed.

Same view as a refractor / mak-cass / SCT when using a mirror diagonal.

Yes, absolutely correct John.

David

Edited by MrFreeze
addition
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, MrFreeze said:

The yoga stuff is why I got it! With mars in the position it is, I have to do a meridian flip after about 9:30pm as the RA motor catches on the saddle of my maksutov, and I end up hanging upside down trying to look through the finder. Been after a cheap one for a while, and got this from LanWan Optical Instruments - came with a free blue (82A) filter as well. It's gone up a bit now the sale is over, but still a pretty good price £23.58 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000578781663.html

Yes, absolutely correct John.

David

Do they do a RACI one at that price as well ?

10 minutes ago, John said:

Do they do a RACI one at that price as well ?

They don't do a RACI one at all - if they had at that price I would definitely have bought it. 😁 A quick search on Ali didn't reveal any RACI finders - they probably call them something else. I'm just happy to get a right angle one whether it's reversed or not.

David