Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

6 hours ago, Adam J said:

Depends, but I would go with a black disk for darks or a light polution filter for luminescence. 

You can always upgrade to 3nm AD filters and then you can use a NII filter along side the Ha.

Adam 

Do you know how much 3nm Astrodons cost? :eek: :laugh:. Possibly a Star Analyser to get started with spectroscopy?

BTW I have a full set of the 3nm Astrodons, and find the [NII] very useful.

If ever I buy a Nitrogen 3nm filter it will have to wait at least a couple of months and then I shall need convincing that it would be better than using Ha 5mm - Ha 3nm.  Spent this months allocation on a bigger EFW!

8 hours ago, Adam J said:

Depends, but I would go with a black disk for darks or a light polution filter for luminescence. 

You can always upgrade to 3nm AD filters and then you can use a NII filter along side the Ha.

Adam 

I have been thinking about the CLS CCD filter for luminence.

Are those the Astrodon filters you're hinting on ?

I find those ridiculous expensive 😖

Delivered yesterday, (or the day before). and left in the electric meter cupboard, a 2"-1.25" reducer/adaptor from @F15Rules/Dave; to accompany my SkyWatcher 28mm e/p, so that I can use it in my TeleVue Ranger, (or with my Mak or SCT, should I forget the Altair Astro 2" star diagonal).

4 hours ago, Geoff Barnes said:

...and what is today's mystery object pray tell? :) 

Its a finely made metrology stand which most likely came from the Zeiss factory works.  A great help when a third hand is needed for micrometer measurements and other inspection uses.  I stumbled upon this on ebay in a listing which was unrelated to Zeiss.  :smile:

PICT0003 (Medium).JPG

• Like 3

Nothing, been sitting here all morning waiting for my delivery from FLO, just checked the tracking and according to RM it was delivered at 12.01 and signed for by Mr Rossiter, no card through the door and no idea who Mr Rossiter is :cussing:

Dave

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

43 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Nothing, been sitting here all morning waiting for my delivery from FLO, just checked the tracking and according to RM it was delivered at 12.01 and signed for by Mr Rossiter, no card through the door and no idea who Mr Rossiter is :cussing:

Dave

Mr RossiterimgID129160288.jpg.gallery.jpg.1ae7de9194cc98461a6b8e78ebbbd1b5.jpg

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, markse68 said:

Possibly the most useful £3 spend yet 😉

1E6DB76B-93F4-4B62-9818-BD1D8E7C7D8B.jpeg

I have one of these, and it was really effective with my Skywatcher 25mm, but wasn't the right distance from the eyepiece to focus with my 10mm SW ep (and I couldn't adjust the distance). 

It is extremely good value, but if you don't get good results with the first eyepiece you try, make sure you have a go with any others you have.

Good luck! 

Ady 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, adyj1 said:

I have one of these, and it was really effective with my Skywatcher 25mm, but wasn't the right distance from the eyepiece to focus with my 10mm SW ep (and I couldn't adjust the distance). 

It is extremely good value, but if you don't get good results with the first eyepiece you try, make sure you have a go with any others you have.

Good luck! 

Ady 

Thanks for the tip Ady- it’s a terrific design with the chuck jaws to grip the eyepiece and I couldn’t believe all the threaded parts are brass inserts- incredible for the money! 

Its also perfect for microscope-phone-photography 👍 (random pic of a Wago connector up close I took earlier trying it out 😉)

AA06746B-5774-49E6-AB77-2322EBC80364.jpeg

10 hours ago, johninderby said:

I also have one of these although it’s started having problems with clamping the eyepiece as the jaws aren’t closing evenly... Maybe taking apart and cleaning needed? 🤔

Has one of the jaws jumped a “tooth” on the scroll thread John?

3 hours ago, arrayschism said:

Starting on a build of Robert Brown's Arduino Nano Dew Controller Pro. Have been hitting a well known auction site hard for some bits as a result 😛

IMG_20191122_060553.jpg

I'm struggling to finish mine, having done most of the work.  When the weather is so poor for so long it's often hard to find the enthusiasm :(

One thing to watch out for: I found the leads on the diodes I bought were too thick to go through the holes in the PCB.  At the suggestion of another SGL member I soldered them to fly leads, covered the joins in heatshrink and soldered the fly leads to the PCB.

James

4 minutes ago, JamesF said:

One thing to watch out for: I found the leads on the diodes I bought were too thick to go through the holes in the PCB.  At the suggestion of another SGL member I soldered them to fly leads, covered the joins in heatshrink and soldered the fly leads to the PCB.

Thank you James, I shall watch out for that. The PCB arrives next week - hopefully the diodes I already have will fit. Their legs are pretty slim 😊 If not then I'll have a go at doing what you did.

• Like 1