Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

4 minutes ago, DaveS said:

It would have been even nicer if Thecus had supplied a UK plug (Is this even legal?) :mad:. Fortunately I remembered I had a couple of adaptors from a US / Chinese battery powered monitor for their chargers so was able to use one of them for this. Still not happy though.

I'm not sure I'd consider it legal, but they may argue that it isn't a device normally intended for domestic use.  I think that would be pretty weak given that it says "your personal cloud" on the box though.

Ah, I think there's some sort of fudge over external power supplies though.  Perhaps just ones combined with a plug.  Is that the case in this instance, Dave?

James

There is an external "brick" PSU that has an "odd" 3 pin connection with the pins in separate receptacles, while the mains lead has individually insulated sockets. I've seen this before on other (UK plugged) power supplies.

If I knew / was sure of the colour coding of the wires in the lead I'd cut the old plug off and wire a UK one on.

Mr DPD delivered another big box from Scan

20191113_110949.thumb.jpg.155c369a4a30be2633574e6ab44137b0.jpg

I think it helps if you can see your images as they really are. Impulse purchase really, Scan had this on offer (Supposedly) reduced from £700 to £430.

• Like 7

Well ATM the NAS is just an expensive paperweight :mad:. It doesn't help that the "online help" (Yeah right :mad:) refers to the previous version of the Thecus OS, and to Win XP :mad:.

Tried using the "bundled" Acronis True Image Personal, but it needs a product key, which Thecus have neglected to include :mad:.

Perhaps if I were more of a computer geek I could work my way around these hurdles but ATM it might as well be in double-dutch. And this thing is supposed to be "Your personal cloud"? Personal millstone more like :mad:.

I flippin' hate computers :BangHead:.

/rant

• Sad 5

Me too at times!!  Unfortunately, I don't know enough about NAS drives to help.  There should be Open Source software I would have thought.  After all, it's only a collection of hard drives plus an OS (often Linux) and software.

3 hours ago, DaveS said:

Well ATM the NAS is just an expensive paperweight :mad:. It doesn't help that the "online help" (Yeah right :mad:) refers to the previous version of the Thecus OS, and to Win XP :mad:.

Tried using the "bundled" Acronis True Image Personal, but it needs a product key, which Thecus have neglected to include :mad:.

Perhaps if I were more of a computer geek I could work my way around these hurdles but ATM it might as well be in double-dutch. And this thing is supposed to be "Your personal cloud"? Personal millstone more like :mad:.

/rant

Sorry to hear this Dave, if you decide to return it, I can recommend the Qnap TS-45x series.

I managed one in our office for 3 years with little IT background and was gifted it when we migrated onto a cloud system which doesn't work anywhere near as effectively. 

Hope you get things resolved soon.

Ade

2 hours ago, geordie85 said:

Not exactly what the postman brought, but what I bought at IAS today. 

DSC_4016.JPG

After quite some fiddling trying to get everything lined up and fitting together I've mounted the ST80 atop my flt98. 

I must a bit that I'm slightly annoyed, partly at myself for not checking before I left, but before I bought it I was told it comes with a diagonal etc. But when I got home and opened the box, there was no diagonal. 

Also a question for other st80 owners. How easy is it to remove the dew shield? Mine slides off rather easily. 

DSC_4017.JPG

On 14/11/2019 at 11:21, DaveS said:

/rant

i have just seen the SNo for the Acronis, printed on the reverse of the envelope the CD came in, but it's in such tiny figures, and so long that it will take me a while to type it in, especially as I easily transpose numbers.

Not the Postie, but purchased from IAS on Sat, a Geoptik Nadira Observing chair which is rather more transportable than my Thomann drum throne. 

I did contemplate making one the same but by the time I'd costed up the materials and the time I'd have to find to make it, I figured it was worth the investment. 

IMG_20191118_132927.jpg

Edited by AdeKing
Spelling
  • Like 11

Again no postie as collected from FLO and SteveG at the IAS.

The next DeLite, discounted thanks to the TeleVue 10% sale 🙂
And I could hand on heart assure Mrs W, that I bought nothing at the IAS this year 😉

Mind you I have decided on a number of bigger spend items for the next few years.

IMG_3654.thumb.JPG.a24214c61199346e87d59ca5d45d1852.JPG

• Like 7

Just received a set of the new Baader aluminium fine adjustment T2 spacers/shims to replace the delrin shims I've managed to lose (though they were a nightmare to get on/off anyway...).

The metal ones come individually in 0.3mm, 0.5mm and 1mm sizes, each in their own fetching colour, or as a set of three, and there are M48 variants as well.  They are slightly oversized and do not need to be threaded on, are more resistant to compression and seizing up, and promise to make the frustrating job of fine-adjusting back spacing much easier!

• Like 5

On 23/10/2019 at 14:24, Telescope40 said:

DPD delivered today. 
Geoptik HEQ5 to EQ6 tripod adaptor. 
Bling !!  Lol 

So to be clear this allows you to put a HEQ5 on to a Eq6 tri-pod or is it the other way around?

On 19/11/2019 at 05:28, Miguel1983 said:

I've got one slot left, sugestions ?

Depends, but I would go with a black disk for darks or a light polution filter for luminescence. 

You can always upgrade to 3nm AD filters and then you can use a NII filter along side the Ha.

Adam