NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

15 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Ah the big 50. You’re allmost grown up then. 😁😁😁

I keep wondering when I will actually feel like I am! 🤣🤣

14 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Good thing you went for the rubber feet on the tripod, @Stu. I fear the  alternative of the metal spikes might damage Mrs Stu’s carpet.

i have both, but mainly use the rubber feet. Spikes would be good on grass, though.

I have been wondering about buying spikes for it. I normally observe on grass, and  suspect they will be better for that. Not so expensive so I might just grab some to try.

Whilst it is a very expensive tripod, it's nice that it comes with the spreader and tray included which are extras for the Uni 28 and make quite a difference to ease of use and stability I think.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

Whilst it is a very expensive tripod, it's nice that it comes with the spreader and tray included which are extras for the Uni 28 and make quite a difference to ease of use and stability I think.

The good thing about the trays is that they can be swapped between different tripods. A while after I got my Planet, which came with the tray, I bought a Report, which came without a tray. I was pleasantly surprised to find the same tray fits both (I don't use both tripods at the same time). 

I believe there are actually 2 sizes of tray, so one needs to check if they fit a particular tripod.

• Like 1

Not a reply to anyone of you in particular but I am gob smacked by that tripod. I am a love of the old school (not everything has to be carbon fibre) I know, you are all in the know and one of you has it in his or hers house, but some info to the uninformed would be nice. Who makes that that thing of beauty?

Marv

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Thanks for the advice, I will look into it. Small inexpensive changes I like. Going to use it for a few months then floc it, blacken edges and a light shield.

Forgot to say that it was massively out of collimation. Thankfully I have a laser so in a couple of minutes all was sorted. I like to think that they are shipped with all the main mirror screws loose to allow the mirror some cushioning whilst in transit🤔

M

As you are in France I bought my flocking material from 

https://www.feutrine-express.fr/store/Feutrine-adhesive-au-metre

1 minute ago, fozzybear said:

As you are in France I bought my flocking material from 

https://www.feutrine-express.fr/store/Feutrine-adhesive-au-metre

Cheers, always interested in a local source especially as buying from elsewhere requires a monetary exchange.

Thankfully I bought a big roll from FLO first time around so I think I have enough left over for the 150.

If you don’t mind I am going to pm you. Reply if you want.

Marv

Just now, Marvin Jenkins said:

Cheers, always interested in a local source especially as buying from elsewhere requires a monetary exchange.

Thankfully I bought a big roll from FLO first time around so I think I have enough left over for the 150.

If you don’t mind I am going to pm you. Reply if you want.

Marv

no probs

48 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Not a reply to anyone of you in particular but I am gob smacked by that tripod. I am a love of the old school (not everything has to be carbon fibre) I know, you are all in the know and one of you has it in his or hers house, but some info to the uninformed would be nice. Who makes that that thing of beauty?

Marv

Marv, it is a thing of beauty indeed, made by Berlebach. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/berlebach-tripods.html

Not only do they look lovely, but they are warm to the touch even when it's cold, and have excellent vibration damping. I have lusted after one of these for a long time.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

Marv, it is a thing of beauty indeed, made by Berlebach. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/berlebach-tripods.html

Not only do they look lovely, but they are warm to the touch even when it's cold, and have excellent vibration damping. I have lusted after one of these for a long time.

You didn’t mention the lovely smell of the wood, Stu 🙂

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, JeremyS said:

You didn’t mention the lovely smell of the wood, Stu 🙂

That is probably the remnants of my manflu preventing me from appreciating it at the moment!!

• Like 2

It always baffles me what logic, some use when deciding what packaging to use. Wit Amazon I have sometimes had the reverse of that. :rolleyes2:

Not too long ago I had this incoming from FLO, to help me decide the future direction I intend to take: SCT or refractor? :undecided:

1914132854_DSC_0048-Copy.thumb.JPG.5186e111443fc1e9419821e4c47df84c.JPG

Only given it the one try so far, which proved to me I need to get a proper focuser on my C9.25!
It was clear out a bit ago, so will spend a half hour looking at Luna...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Davey-T said:

New illuminator for my Explore Scientific finder, usual excellent service from FLO :thumbsup:

Could maybe have done with a bigger box in case it got damaged 😂

Dave

RDF-2.png.0b216991cb0de38d0dd412c02c31612a.png

There you go, box now the correct size 🤣

In reality, the box was making space for the enclosed cloud.

• Haha 1

A boring mystery picture, but...

tabs.jpg.7f41ee137b75639921b56a99092fc8d7.jpg

I bought my Atik 460 from Ian King a couple of years back and it has been in my obbo ever since.  After a string of ropey subs I wondered if the dessicant plug might be getting a bit tired (though last night's subs were fine - obviously conditions rather than kit after all).

Nevertheless, I dropped FLO a line last week, asking how much some replacement plugs might be.  Received these in the post yesterday, completely free of charge.  You really can't complain about THAT for customer service...

• Like 2

UPS person delivered a big box earlier.
Nice new padded bag for the OOUK OD150 f5 scope.

Lacerta Carrying bag Newton 150/750

Stock picture from the supplier.
Bag is well fitted and well padded and cheaper that the Geoptik one I had before and reviewed on here.
I hope the black one will offend Mrs W less than the red one did.
Another review to come I think and this one does not get stopped by rain and wind.

• Like 4