SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

My latest addition to my livery of equipment is  this Nikon 3200. I bought it second hand from ebay with a very low shutter count. I didn't buy it specifically for astro work as I still have my old Canon 1100D  for that purpose. But  of course with the recent clear nights I couldn't resist putting it through its paces attached to my Driven 16" Skyliner Dob. It made a pretty good job of the Dumbell and Ring nebulae. However it has a couple of disadvantages compared with the Canon when using it for astro work,firstly the 10 second shutter delay has to be activated after every shot while the Canon keeps the setting until its switched off,secondly the Nikon has a very long processing time on multi second exposures. For example on a 15 second exposure the Nikon takes 17 seconds to process the image while on the same setting the Canon only takes 2 seconds.Granted the Nikon has twice the pixels but it still seems a bit excessive.

Unfortunately my collection of  M42 screw lenses don't come to focus with the Nikon,but I notice that Nikon lenses are fairly cheap on Ebay.

The image of the Dumbell was taken last night attached to the above telescope coupled to a Celestron Ultima Duo 21mm eyepiece.15 second exposure at 6400ISO.

NikonD3200220919.JPG

Dumbell Nikon210919.jpg

• Like 1

What Markkus said, the D3200 ist doing dark-subtraction by default. So for a 15s exposure, it will take another 15s dark frame. You can also enable it on your Canon to level the playing field 😀

Also, beware that the 3200 cannot do bulb via USB tethering. But there are workarounds for that.

Edited by freiform

20190923_134310.jpg.ebfce7abacb90108b476085ee0e111fb.jpg

My thanks to FLO.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think a little bit of green and black would be in my possession, but it arrived today. I had decided I just needed one more high power EP to complete my set for viewing the planets while they are so high in the sky here. It was a toss up in the end between the TV Delite 3mm or the Nagler 3-6mm Zoom. The zoom won in the end for the simple reason that if the 3mm FL of the Delite proved unsuitable then at least I had 4,5 and 6mm FL's with the zoom which I know are usable on the planets here with my SW Planetary and Vixen SLV EP's. Made in Japan too which instills me with confidence in its quality, even though all my Chinese made gear is excellent.

Also arrived is the Astronomik OIII filter which I intend to use on the Veil Nebula which is just arriving on the scene here in the late evenings and which I have never seen before. I know John has frequently sung the  praises of the OIII in the past for viewing the Veil so I thought I would give it a go. Main drawback here is it is very low in the sky (about 15-17 degrees), so visibility will be the biggest hinderance, but I live in hope. :) 

Edited by Geoff Barnes
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Geoff Barnes said:

Never in my wildest dreams did I think a little bit of green and black would be in my possession, but it arrived today. I had decided I just needed one more high power EP to complete my set for viewing the planets while they are so high in the sky here. It was a toss up in the end between the TV Delite 3mm or the Nagler 3-6mm Zoom. The zoom won in the end for the simple reason that if the 3mm FL of the Delite proved unsuitable then at least I had 4,5 and 6mm FL's with the zoom. 

I love my 3-6 Nagler Zoom, so much so that I just bypass my 5mm Nagler t6 and just use the zoom for the flexibility you have noted.
Hope you get to enjoy the Planets while you have them well placed Geoff, sadly for us in the UK it's rather poor for a few years yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An old manual Nikkor 50/1.8 and C-mount adapter I got for 55 €. Widefield!

Now I have to figure out how to get everything working with the ASI183, filters, distance, etc.

And how to mount it, although there are 78mm lens mounts available for cheap [1]. The one offered by ZWO [2] ist around 50€, but has a dovetail and a thread to attach a small finder.. mhh.

image.thumb.png.c863e985af34789e2c39618693d3c6f0.png

Sven

[1] https://www.amazon.de/MENGS®-Stativschelle-70-200mm-100-400mm-35-350mm/dp/B00K0BI55Q

[2] https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p8771_ZWO-Fotostativadapter---Haltering-fuer-gekuehlte-ASI-Kameras-mit-D-78-mm.html

Edited by freiform
  • Like 2

Today I collected this bundle of goodies from my folks place delivered courtesy of @FLO and @Brian28.

I guess that I am therefore somewhat to blame for the inclement weather, though I did try very hard not to let the clouds out of the boxes but they managed to get away from me, sorry. 

A hard saved for and much awaited iOptron AZ Pro, mini-pier, fittings and counterweight plus a Berlebach top plate and cables from auntie FLO and a dew controller from Brian. 

Sadly it looks like Berlebach have sent an IEQ45 top plate for a Planet tripod rather than for a Uni tripod which is what I need, so for once I'm happy that the weather isn't suitable for observing as I couldn't go out and play with the new toys anyway 🙄

IMG_20190923_203449.jpg

IMG_20190923_210024.jpg

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Alan White said:

Post person also delivered a bit of Meteorite as well, 
bought for its name as I am a Star Wars fan.

Tatahouine Diogenite, very small fragment, it's only 10mm x 5mm.

IMG_3539.thumb.JPG.f395d1162327d51e5ec80f9f3b91eebe.JPG

Tatahouine (not the same spelling as in SW). Isnt that in Tunisia?. 

Been there to Luke's home. Matmatta is the name of the location of the film set, but Tatahouine is close by.

It's all in the Sahara. Damn it was hot...40C

Edited by LukeSkywatcher
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

Never actually seen one of these scopes. Will be interesting to see what you think of it. 🤔

So far, it's a bit terrifying haha. Managed to get the light pollution filter fitted yesterday. The original clear glass filter was jammed in solid :o

IMG_20190923_175311.jpg

Which contains an Opticstar 2x 2” Telextender. Same as the ES and Meade versions and a great buy a £99.00 delivered. 👍🏻

Makes for quite a tall setup in the focuser. Need to get a parfocal ring for the Morpheus as it won’t quite fit all the way into the telextender.

1AFB9450-DCB5-49E6-AD19-430ECA069196.jpeg

59F3ACAA-7BF1-4984-9155-DB603F66A4BB.jpeg

A029A996-8EEE-483F-9D5D-48B75A803FA7.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Not before time I have eventually sourced a protective carrier for my Oberwerk Tall Tripod.  The Geoptik carrier for Eq6 and tripod.  It has a bit more capacity than I envisaged, wondering if I might fit my Vixen HAL 130 alongside it, need to get the Vixen in from the garden to check it out. No more dings and scrapes😀

32A912AA-F826-4D14-8ED1-835D947CFD08.jpeg

• Like 5