Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

nightfisher

What did the postman bring?

No but I've only got the one and there's more than she can eat!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Today's delivery from FLO

MVIMG_20190917_162432.thumb.jpg.d431126ec0054d0cb7f0abf015f98155.jpg

MVIMG_20190917_163030.thumb.jpg.1dfd2cfc2a51ea65fce952b16168e799.jpg

And a clear night forecast for tonight. :-)))

• Like 7

20 hours ago, Gina said:

Black + Decker GL7033GB Electric Strimmer Grass Trimmer, 700 W, 33 cm  to attack nettles, thistles and other weeds between house and observatory.

That looks good, will likely put an order in for one myself. Not sure my grass is big enough to justify a mower, and in any case I like to let it become "wild" rather than manicured to an inch of its life. I know lawns are supposed to be a "bloke thing" but I've never been a fan of striped perfection.

• Like 2

I used it yesterday and can offer comments.  Worked fine on grass but ate string on weeds and the so-called heavy duty fixed twin strings wore out in a few seconds.  I've bought a new spool of string but will probably refill spools with loose string in future.  100m of 2mm string costs about the same as a B&D spool of 6m, from Amazon and there are probably cheaper sources.  I did try some unwanted ABS 3D printer filament in 1.75mm size but that didn't work.  I think the "proper" stuff is nylon and a bit more flexible.

• Thanks 1

Thanks. Couple of quick pics of the grass

20190918_132537.thumb.jpg.494dbc25c68d1e8ef57be238cc414d33.jpg

20190918_132610.thumb.jpg.7a7064851c744612d37c862da291100c.jpg

Too long for a mower, but a bit much for a strimmer. 

12 minutes ago, DaveS said:

20190918_132537.thumb.jpg.494dbc25c68d1e8ef57be238cc414d33.jpg

20190918_132610.thumb.jpg.7a7064851c744612d37c862da291100c.jpg

Too long for a mower, but a bit much for a strimmer. 

I cut grass much like that with my new strimmer - it's quite powerful.  Not exactly quiet - I wore ear defenders.

• Thanks 1

I've got ear plugs that I use with the SDS drill, but maybe I should get the real thing.

3 minutes ago, DaveS said:

I've got ear plugs that I use with the SDS drill, but maybe I should get the real thing.

I would.  I don't think an SDS drill will be any good for cutting grass.

James

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

55 minutes ago, Gina said:

I used it yesterday and can offer comments.  Worked fine on grass but ate string on weeds and the so-called heavy duty fixed twin strings wore out in a few seconds.  I've bought a new spool of string but will probably refill spools with loose string in future.  100m of 2mm string costs about the same as a B&D spool of 6m, from Amazon and there are probably cheaper sources.  I did try some unwanted ABS 3D printer filament in 1.75mm size but that didn't work.  I think the "proper" stuff is nylon and a bit more flexible.

I did wonder whether it would be cheaper to use strimmer filament in a 3D printer or vice versa! 🙂

You can also get metal strimmer wire, but you really do need to keep that stuff well away from your toes.

James

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveS said:

Just don't cut it and call it a nature reserve 🙂

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, DaveS said:

That looks good, will likely put an order in for one myself. Not sure my grass is big enough to justify a mower, and in any case I like to let it become "wild" rather than manicured to an inch of its life. I know lawns are supposed to be a "bloke thing" but I've never been a fan of striped perfection.

My neighbour is of the striped perfection type....So I never cut straight ;) . 

Your garden looks just the type Gardeners World keeps telling us to create for the insects and other wildlife....Looks like you have done a great job there :thumbright:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, johninderby said:

Think you need a field mower like this. 😁

2B91E13E-414C-4A3E-B620-3E8CEFDB9F0B.jpeg

I've been pulled into a pond by one of those, an old Allen Scythe, desperately struggling to disengage the drive

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

I've been pulled into a pond by one of those, an old Allen Scythe, desperately struggling to disengage the drive

The image going through my mind accompanied by the Benny Hill theme. 😂😂😂

• Haha 4

I received a large pile of electronics components to build my dew heater controllers.  Still waiting on a few more bits though.  Hopefully they will arrive by the end of the week.

James

• Like 1

I received a large small pile of electronics components  - resistors and voltage pump IC.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Postman dropped off a nice piece of German glass today. Baader Morpheus 14mm thanks to David Hardie. Had a quick first light with Andromeda & Saturn & must say I’m very happy with the views. Going to get very expensive now building up my new eyepiece collection now I’ve been spoiled 🥺. Also tested my other recent acquisition, Altair 60mm finder/guider RACI. Happy bunny 😁.

CD93BEC9-DCC3-4B1B-921C-CCEE96CCD15B.jpeg

FB60CDB4-E2BB-47B4-8B86-4D8215F1DFAC.jpeg

• Like 3