SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

20 hours ago, Gina said:

Black + Decker GL7033GB Electric Strimmer Grass Trimmer, 700 W, 33 cm  to attack nettles, thistles and other weeds between house and observatory.

That looks good, will likely put an order in for one myself. Not sure my grass is big enough to justify a mower, and in any case I like to let it become "wild" rather than manicured to an inch of its life. I know lawns are supposed to be a "bloke thing" but I've never been a fan of striped perfection.

• Like 2

I used it yesterday and can offer comments.  Worked fine on grass but ate string on weeds and the so-called heavy duty fixed twin strings wore out in a few seconds.  I've bought a new spool of string but will probably refill spools with loose string in future.  100m of 2mm string costs about the same as a B&D spool of 6m, from Amazon and there are probably cheaper sources.  I did try some unwanted ABS 3D printer filament in 1.75mm size but that didn't work.  I think the "proper" stuff is nylon and a bit more flexible.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Thanks. Couple of quick pics of the grass

20190918_132537.thumb.jpg.494dbc25c68d1e8ef57be238cc414d33.jpg

20190918_132610.thumb.jpg.7a7064851c744612d37c862da291100c.jpg

Too long for a mower, but a bit much for a strimmer. 

I cut grass much like that with my new strimmer - it's quite powerful.  Not exactly quiet - I wore ear defenders.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Gina said:

I used it yesterday and can offer comments.  Worked fine on grass but ate string on weeds and the so-called heavy duty fixed twin strings wore out in a few seconds.  I've bought a new spool of string but will probably refill spools with loose string in future.  100m of 2mm string costs about the same as a B&D spool of 6m, from Amazon and there are probably cheaper sources.  I did try some unwanted ABS 3D printer filament in 1.75mm size but that didn't work.  I think the "proper" stuff is nylon and a bit more flexible.

I did wonder whether it would be cheaper to use strimmer filament in a 3D printer or vice versa! 🙂

3 hours ago, DaveS said:

That looks good, will likely put an order in for one myself. Not sure my grass is big enough to justify a mower, and in any case I like to let it become "wild" rather than manicured to an inch of its life. I know lawns are supposed to be a "bloke thing" but I've never been a fan of striped perfection.

My neighbour is of the striped perfection type....So I never cut straight ;) . 

Your garden looks just the type Gardeners World keeps telling us to create for the insects and other wildlife....Looks like you have done a great job there :thumbright:

• Like 2

Postman dropped off a nice piece of German glass today. Baader Morpheus 14mm thanks to David Hardie. Had a quick first light with Andromeda & Saturn & must say I’m very happy with the views. Going to get very expensive now building up my new eyepiece collection now I’ve been spoiled 🥺. Also tested my other recent acquisition, Altair 60mm finder/guider RACI. Happy bunny 😁.

CD93BEC9-DCC3-4B1B-921C-CCEE96CCD15B.jpeg

FB60CDB4-E2BB-47B4-8B86-4D8215F1DFAC.jpeg

• Like 3