SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Today's (07-03-16) ISS Solar transit

SiriusDoggy

Today's ISS Solar Transit taken just north of Jean, NV. Boy was it hot out there today but with the Sun high overhead that means the ISS was actually much closer to us as well. A mere 268 miles above us compared to last weeks pass that was 513 miles away due to the low angle. Of course with it closer to us the apparent speed is also much faster so I only managed to grab it in 14.5 frames this time.
Technical details:
Lunt 80mm Ha scope
ZWO ASI 1600MM camera capturing at 30fps
Processed in AutoStakkert!2, tweaked in ImPPG, Layered and colorized in PhotoshopCC
Composite of 17 layers. 1 layer is the finished plate for the surface. 1 layer is for the edge prominence's and then each frame that captured the ISS is layered in with everything removed except for the ISS.

i-zxGHmc4-X3.jpg
©2016 Photography by Greg McKay

Wonderful! I have the 80mm Lunt too, so now you've given me something to aim for :happy11:.  I had no idea there was such variation in distance/size.  What exposure did you use to "freeze" the ISS? I tried this with the moon the other week and just got a blur.  Iain 

Excellent image. But that's not the ISS, it's a Tie fighter from Starwars , A stormtrooper leaving a deathstar. 

In fact it's a fleet of Tie fighters  ☺. Imminent invasion? 

So it's all true then.

Great capture,  well done. 

Nige

7 hours ago, Iainp said:

Wonderful! I have the 80mm Lunt too, so now you've given me something to aim for :happy11:.  I had no idea there was such variation in distance/size.  What exposure did you use to "freeze" the ISS? I tried this with the moon the other week and just got a blur.  Iain 

Iainp,

Yes, there's a huge difference in apparent size between viewing it near the horizon vs overhead. The exposure was .050ms but you can freeze it as slow as .30ms for sure because my buddy shooting through a double stacked system couldn't get any faster than that.

Archived