Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'soul nebula'.
Found 2 results
IC 1871 – Part of the Soul Nebula Description IC 1871 is a very busy region of the Soul Nebula, Sh2-199. The Soul Nebula itself is often referred to as IC 1848 but in fact, this is the designation of a star cluster within the nebulosity. The Soul Nebula is located within the Perseus Arm of the Milky Way in the constellation Cassiopeia at a distance of around 7,500 light years from the Earth with IC 1871 situated on the north-eastern edge of the nebula. IC 1871 is rich is Ha emissions but less so in OIII which makes this region an ‘interesting’ challenge especially for bicolour imaging as displayed here, despite there being other regions within the Soul Nebula where there is a greater density of OIII emissions. If I could afford a 3nm SII filter, I would have used that too but I can’t so I didn’t! The nebula also plays host to some fascinating dust lanes that produce some great additional features to contrast against the bright ridges of glowing gas clouds. Within these gas clouds, large cavities have been sculpted by radiation and winds from the region's most massive stars. The dense star-forming clouds of IC 1871 are an example of ‘triggered star-formation’, a theory that suggests that the compressed edges of the cavities caused by the outwards push of the radiation and wind cause the region to produce successive generations of new stars. Image Stats Mount: Mesu 200 Telescope: Sky-Watcher Esprit 150 Flattener: Sky-Watcher Esprit specific Camera: QSI 683 WSG-8 Filters: Astrodon 3nm Ha, 3nm OIII Subframes: 15 x 1800 sec Ha, 28 x 1800 sec OIII Total Integration: 21.5 hours Control: CCD Commander Capture: MaxIm DL Calibration, Stacking and Deconvolution: PixInsight Post-Processing: PhotoShop PS3 Location Constellation Cassiopeia RA 02° 59' 41.0" DEC +60° 41' 4.0" Distance ~7500ly
Hi guys Been busy the last wee while, so haven't done much imaging lately, but i did at least finally get around to processing my Soul Nebula data from a couple of weeks back. So this is 220 mins of Ha, and the same again of OIII, all 20 min subs. With the usual 30 flats and 50 Bias, with aggressive dithering. Shot through a SW 80ED on a HEQ5 Pro mount. Captured in SGP, pre-processed in APP, and post-processed in Photoshop. I used a slightly different method this time. Normally, i stretch the OIII data to the absolute limit, and then combine the stacks in Photoshop, but this time i used APP instead. APP has a nice feature that lets you multiply data, so i basically applied an x5 factor to the OIII data, and then assigned the Ha and OIII to G and B channels respectively (as per the standard SHO model) and then used a blend of 20% Ha and 80% OIII for the Red channel. The resulting RGB image was then imported into Photoshop for everything else. I'm still to decide on whether or not i prefer this method, but i do like how the colours came out with this one. I deliberately left the green alone, rather than take it out, as i think it adds more depth to the image. Although somewhere during my processing i noticed that the image had been converted from 16bit down to 8bit and i didn't realise until it was too late :-( I'm still unsure how that happened exactly, perhaps after running an action, i don't know really. Anyhow, i certainly wasn't for going back to the drawing board so i decided to finish it off all the same. C&C welcome as always guys. Thanks for looking.