Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Neighbour Shouted Out of Window About Camera Noise!

Hi, this is my first post here :)

Tonight I was out in my back garden with my heq5 and a Canon 60d with a Canon EF L 70-200mm lens attached. I slewed to my target at 11pm (NGC 6992) and about an hour later started taking 1m20s exposures with the help of Magic lantern. Then at about 00:30 my neighbour shouted out of their bedroom  window "you're keeping us awake!" which shocked me because I didn't think the neighbours would be able to hear a DSLR mirror closing – their window from the extension on their house is about 20 meters away.

Regardless I ended up calling it a night and now I am really paranoid about the noise I am making at night. If anything I was concerned about the noise of the heq5 slewing to targets but I didn't expect a camera to be an issue.

So now I am in a bit of a problem – I am thinking about wrapping the heq5 in sound proofing material and getting CCD astro camera and possibly manually slewing to targets. I just find it difficult to believe the neighbours could not only hear but actually get woken up by a camera mirror at distance.

Has anyone else face these issues, any advice?

John

Edited by johnh92
  • Like 2

Can you lock the mirror up in the settings, is it a neighbour you get on with ? , I wouldn’t think it would be that annoying maybe you can muffle the noise with wind chimes  😆  once on target I doubt it’s the mount , locking the mirror may help though .

Edited by bottletopburly

Why not switch from a DSLR to a silent astro-cam like ASI294? I hate the noise that DSLRs make and am not surprised that your neighbours are complaining. Mount motors when slewing can also be noisy. I limit mine to slow quieter speeds. Respecting neighbours is important, else when the inevitable security lights go up you can't expect their reciprocal cooperation. 

Good advice from the others but I also suspect the heat last night may have been the main factor in your neighbours poor sleep pattern.    I certainly struggled to sleep well and had a window wide open.  When it’s -5 in winter you may find it less of an issue but best to try and keep neighbourly relations positive in the meantime.

• Like 4

I used to use an old canon 450d and yes it was noisy.

My advice, olive branch and maybe a little chat to explain what you were doing and the equipment you use. I would want neighbours on my side than fighting against.

Have you thought of wrapping a t shirt around the body to ‘muffle’ the sound or perhaps a ‘wind break’ around your equipment, this could stop a lot of the sound or deflect most of it away.

It has been warm lately and probably will continue for the next few months. In autumn and winter and parts of spring it won’t be an issue hopefully.

Good luck,

• Like 2

Camera noise certainly sounds louder in the dead of night.  Usually best to avoid escalation in disputes with neighbours if possible. As pointed out it may be less of a problem when bedroom windows are closed in autumn and winter …. unless they’re fresh air fanatics. :)  Would it help I wonder to adapt or construct a polystyrene box to sound proof the camera? 

1 minute ago, Neil27 said:

I used to use an old canon 450d and yes it was noisy.

My advice, olive branch and maybe a little chat to explain what you were doing and the equipment you use. I would want neighbours on my side than fighting against.

Have you thought of wrapping a t shirt around the body to ‘muffle’ the sound or perhaps a ‘wind break’ around your equipment, this could stop a lot of the sound or deflect most of it away.

It has been warm lately and probably will continue for the next few months. In autumn and winter and parts of spring it won’t be an issue hopefully.

Good luck,

This would warm up the chip, though.

Mirror lock or astro caera would be my choice.

Olly

Somewhat understandable, rather unfortunately. The mounts are anything but quiet. HEQ5's make a noise, quite a bit of noise. Skywatcher didn't produce them to be quiet. As said lower the max slew rate, really helps. Try 7 or 8 or even 6 or 5. The scope doesn't have to race across the sky.

And yes most DSLR's are similar. A silent movement was not often in consideration - maybe a bit odd as many use DSLR's for nature photography, and noise can easily mean the target hears the first shot and disappears from sight. Would actually suspect that some use the noise for a better image. Take a side on shot of a deer, it hears the shutter and looks towards you, take another shot of a face on deer. How many of those are shown and deer etc do not pose for a photo.

Heat being a factor, maybe. Likely just means a window was open and your activity was more audiable. So a warm night would just mean everything was easier to hear.

An artifical and periodic noise registers more with people. Even a low noise registers - head to a quiet location and every small rustle will register to you. Small mice make a huge noise, or so you think. A hedgehog sounds big enough to easily beat up Godzilla effortlessly without a second thought.

If the DSLR can be quietened, mirror lock or similar then try that and run the mount slower. At home that is about the best you can manage. At least without an equipment over haul.

And apologise to the neighbour, it helps, and helps a lot. Throw in that you never realised that the set up would produce the apparent noise it did. Could in a way thank him/them for bringing it to your attention and you at least know and will see what can be done to improve the situation.

Mirror lock up using the self timer in the timer routine would be my choice, does the 60D have silent shooting modes? I know my 80D has..

Alan

P.S. Canon cameras usually have a thin strip of foam in the mirror box to dampen the slap and this can become worn out/dislodged so worth a look or even experimenting with other materials...

Edited by Alien 13

I suppose having a hobby where one security light later etc etc ...... so maybe the answer is to think about an astrocamera.

On the flip side, you are so lucky to live in an area where the only thing that disturbs you is a camera click. 

I think I would pay a visit in the daylight bearing a bottle of wine and with a sincere apology followed by asking which noise was it that was a problem - it might be the camera - it might be the mount. Then explain that you will do whatever you can to reduce the noise.

• Like 12

13 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

I think I would pay a visit in the daylight bearing a bottle of wine and with a sincere apology followed by asking which noise was it that was a problem - it might be the camera - it might be the mount. Then explain that you will do whatever you can to reduce the noise.

And perhaps see if they might like the chance to look through your scope at the moon or a planet when its possible.

Could get them a little more understanding of your hobby.

Even just a glimpse of Orion's Nebula could change their thinking!

• Like 2

Camera clatter was part of my reason for moving away from my 1200D. No mirror lock up on thay model and I was conscious of how noisy it was. Neighbours never said anything but I'm sure they heard it on still summer nights with their windows open.

We used to have a neighbour that fired up his petrol mower at 5am in the Summer months... we had words...

This has got me wondering about my CPC mount (which sounds a bit like Robo Cop) and what effect this will have on the neighbours. I have not been able to use it for weeks due to  Permacloud. 

This weekend looks clear, so not sure how disturbing it will be with all the windows open. Luckily we are all on very good terms, at the moment...

I like the idea mentioned about muffling the sound with wind chimes, our three cats screeching may also be of help. 😂

Edited by Andy ES
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

^^^ This ^^^

And also throw in a comment about how in frequent it would be due to the very few ideal nights we get to take images, so it would only be the occasional disruption if your next session also woke them.   We don't get on with one set of neighbours, and they had a security light which he angled up so it floods our garden too... then they needed to replace the dividing fence, which would mean possible damage to her plants.  I offered access from our garden as we're end of terrace, so the job was much quicker, the installer didn't have to bring panels through their house etc.... A few days after there was a nock on the door and she presented us with a pot plant, and also asked if there was anything they could do to return the favour.   I mentioned the light and a n hour later he was out there with a ladder and adjusted it so it only lit up his garden.

• Like 10

On 16/07/2021 at 07:18, noah4x4 said:

Why not switch from a DSLR to a silent astro-cam like ASI294? I hate the noise that DSLRs make and am not surprised that your neighbours are complaining. Mount motors when slewing can also be noisy. I limit mine to slow quieter speeds. Respecting neighbours is important, else when the inevitable security lights go up you can't expect their reciprocal cooperation. 

How loud is the fan on them? I have heard some people say it is pretty bad but have no idea myself...

3 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

If I had been out at 1am last night my neighbour wouldn't have heard anything over the top of her rap music and door banging...

My friend in South Africa has  a  dome with noisy rusty bearings that sets all the neighbourhood dogs off barking at 2am  Nobody ever complains. They are probably not so mamby pamby there. That should cover the noise of the camera...........Dave

Whew! I've heard stories regarding difficult neighbors which is why I make a point to give neighbors the impression I'm a bit of a nut. They're

all weary about voicing petty complaints, I don't abuse it but its good when they think you're a loose canon. Follow my lead, set up a work bench in your back 

garden and pretend you are doing some wood work, happy and whistling away. Then when you know they are out and about in their gardens just go into a furious

rage yelling NOOOOO NOOOOOO I MEASURED IT TWICE!!!! while beating the bench to a pulp with a piece of wood before chasing your dog while swinging the wood

around (without harming the dog of course). Soon after you can have a seat with a cup of tea in the garden but make sure they all hear you weep aloud as you

enjoy your tea. This will eliminate any future awkward conversations about the weather, invites to boring children's parties, borrowing of tools, you will be free 

to use your camera!.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 1
  • Haha 11