Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Expensive!!!!!!!

Garry g

Well I now have all I need to start observing apart from clear sky's. 

I am brand new to this and on a whim I bought a celestron astromaster 114eq complete with mount, all for £100. GREAT until the mount got smashed during delivery (thanks hermes). 

So I buy a new mount....... and I went for the eq3 pro mount....... ummm just short of £400. Along with new eyepieces telescope camera and a small laptop and power bank, my whim has now risen to near on £800,  now I wait and wait and wait again for that sure to come clear night sky,  can't wait to do my trial and error observations, expense phut why not lol. 

• Like 9

Hi and welcome to the forum :icon_biggrin:

Was the scope not insured by the sender ?

I use Hermes a lot. Never had a problem with them but I do insure most things I send just in case.

6 minutes ago, Simon Dunsmore said:

Welcome, 

After buying several scopes over the years, I now refer to them as cloud magnets! 

With so many people buying scopes, we don't stand a chance of clear skies 😂

Welcome to the hobby and the forum 

I'm perched over astro buy and sell like a gnome with a fishing rod.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, John said:

Hi and welcome to the forum :icon_biggrin:

Was the scope not insured by the sender ?

I use Hermes a lot. Never had a problem with them but I do insure most things I send just in case.

Problem with Hermes and many of the carriers that use freelancers toting packages in own cars is that for it to work for the delivery person they need to minimise the number of trips, given the low per parcel drop rates. Also the depot is often only open for a short time to collect the days drops so most need to collect everything in one visit. So you find they pack everything in any way they can, even crushing down the boxes to fit where necessary without knowing what's in them of course.  Not to say that it didn't end up damaged en-route but at least then a large truck is used so hopefully shouldn't happen. Can be down to luck if the local person has a van or is prepared to make multiple trips, guess I've been lucky on that front but for valuable/fragile stuff I tend to prefer one of the big name carriers and like John I'd insure so you may be able to claim for damage.

• Like 1

And then again if you buy one of those domes, to augment the scope gear along with the musical instruments mentioned earlier then pay for the divorce which will be imminent. There may be enough left to buy a cheese sandwich..............Welcome to the club               

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One simple bit of advice on Astronomy, 
Never, Ever add up the total spent!
It saves a whole lot of heartache, it really does.
The views after all are yours alone and priceless.

Welcome to SGL and Astronomy, enjoy.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Alan White said:

One simple bit of advice on Astronomy, 
Never, Ever add up the total spent!
It saves a whole lot of heartache, it really does.
The views after all are yours alone and priceless.

Welcome to SGL and Astronomy, enjoy.

And there's also the trick of discounting the upfront investment in kit over the many years of enjoyment and use you get out of it. Works out to a small amount per day 🙂

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, dark knight said:

If any consolation i spent just shy of £1400 on a telescope last month and still waiting for first light! Welcome to the lounge and astronomy

Snap!

Regards Andrew 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

And there's also the trick of discounting the upfront investment in kit over the many years of enjoyment and use you get out of it. Works out to a small amount per day 🙂

Per observing day/night?

Regards Andrew 

Edited by andrew s
  • Like 1