Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Expensive!!!!!!!

Garry g

1 hour ago, paulastro said:

... It's so easy now with all the modern gizmos, I dont really understand why anyone bothers.  Anyway, I think the HST has just about cornered the market in taking snaps of the cosmos 😄.

39 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Indeed. I suppose the same could be said for observing, I mean it’s pretty easy to just point a scope up and look at stuff.

Things are always easy until you try it yourself.  Challenges differ and yes both visual and imaging have most likely been done before but it's a hobby who cares as long as you enjoy it.

Astronomy can accomodate both masochists and normal people though the latter are a minority. 

Regards Andrew 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, R26 oldtimer said:

I quit smoking a couple of years ago. So whenever I feel that my astronomy equipment costs too much, I compare it to all the money that went up in smoke the last 25 years. It actually costs less than 5 years cigarettes.

Unfortunately, you then have to balance that out against the additional cost of your life span increase from not prematurely killing yourself. :D

Maybe drinking is a happy medium :D:D

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, andrew s said:

Things are always easy until you try it yourself.  Challenges differ and yes both visual and imaging have most likely been done before but it's a hobby who cares as long as you enjoy it.

Astronomy can accomodate both masochists and normal people though the latter are a minority. 

Regards Andrew 

Andrew, my comment was tongue in cheek, in reply to Paul.  AP certainly isnt easy, and how visual people actually find stuff without gotos is black magic to me.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, andrew s said:

Regards Andrew 

I think the main challenge with progess is expectations (which are good problems essentially). In essence, most things in life are easier.

• Like 1

Imaging has become easier in many ways. I remember manually guiding a both my own C8 and a 1.5 m infrared telescope of the Arcetri Observatory at Gornergrat. The latter I managed a maximum of 45 minutes for spectrography. Horrible work, leaves you with a splitting headache. Autoguiders and the like make life far easier, but at the same time standards have gone up as well, and more complicated kit also means more can go wrong. At the same time, if I compare my very first M42 effort on Fujichrome film (single 15 minute exposure) with my C8 and at F/6.3

spacer.png

to an effort with my APM 80mm F/6 with 0.8x reducer, stacking loads of short exposures taken with a modded Canon EOS 550D, there is simply no contest

M42USM3expcropsat1curves.jpg.692c8e9704f2408b6fb14431dd4e2314.thumb.jpg.8931e2d1775a98a2aed1d325e58f1f89.jpg

Except when imaging, I still preferstar-hopping to using goto for visual, I will admit. A big 14x70 RACI finder does help

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stu said:

That sounds like the kind of maths I use to explain the price of kit to my dear lady, although that is normally the 2/3rds rule ;). If you started in 1620 then it might be £1/annum..... 🤣🤣

ummm seem to have dropped a decimal place somewhere.... 🤣

It is amazing to see how this post has grown from the original newbies post.

I wonder if he is still reading it, and thinks we are all mad, but if you are still reading this, we really are a friendly and helpful bunch and have lots of banter on here, particularly when there are clouds and we can't do Astronomy.

Welcome to Astronomy and if there is anything you need to know just post it up and some-one (or several people) will be able to help.

Carole 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, carastro said:

I wonder if he is still reading it, and thinks we are all mad,

I was wondering the same !

The moral of the saga must be "Beware joining an astro forum during lockdown when it is cloudy " and everyone is bored outa der tiny , , ,

Gary, if you are still reading :- Just log back in and say "Boo!" :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Corncrake said:

I was wondering the same !

The moral of the saga must be "Beware joining an astro forum during lockdown when it is cloudy " and everyone is bored outa der tiny , , ,

Gary, if you are still reading :- Just log back in and say "Boo!" :)

Probably busy finishing his ebay listings. Like any sane man would at this stage :D

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, DeathWarpedUp said:

Like any sane man would

Not many of those left hereabouts, and I am beginning to have doubts about the girls as well !

I think we should ask Admin to send Gary an email to say something like " Sorry. Forgive them for they know not what they do" 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Corncrake said:

Not many of those left hereabouts, and I am beginning to have doubts about the girls as well !

I think we should ask Admin to send Gary an email to say something like " Sorry. Forgive them for they know not what they do" 🤣

I'm sure if Gary can put up with this, he is a perfect candidate for staring day in day out at the 24/7 cotton wool floating past.

• Like 1

Gary...you’re in SGL, there’s no going back! That loverly round tin has an essence in it that captures better than any black hole....

no...

going..

back.....okay?

welcome to the Stargazing Gotcha league..please help me

chaz..tised