SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Expensive!!!!!!!

Garry g

23 minutes ago, 7170 said:

A very interesting question and good point!

I personally believe there is no such thing as a perfect telescope that works great for every object type/interest. My interests have wondered over time from wide-field observations and the planets to doubles and variables, luckily the equipment I bought previously still works alright with those. But it would have been much more expensive if I had to materially change the whole rig as a result of changing interests. 

It can be a hard lesson to learn for some more than others I feel.

The feeling of diving into a new hobby, heart pounding raring to go, and most people you ask for guidance telling you to slow down before you remortgage your house for a set of Eyepeices that your current climate would never allow any usage of :) Its almost as frustrating as watching someone go through it offering guidance and watching them makes those same mistakes.

Such is life I guess :D

Edited by DeathWarpedUp

There are all kinds of hobbies and interests and they nearly all involve significant capital expenditure - for some it's more likely to be spread out over time (e.g. season tickets for your team, or subs to the gym, hill-walking and camping kit, skis etc), with others it comes in distinct periodic hits such as hi-fi (new amps and speakers), fishing (tackle etc), music (instruments), astronomy (telescope and mounts) etc. 

Astronomy is therefore not unique and like any hobby or interest you can take it to whatever level you prefer to take it to. My Celestron C8 cost me about £400 (I can't remember exactly) in 1980 - it's now 40 years old and this week I've attached it to my HEQ5 mount. That's £1 per annum thus far.

Trouble is most people won't bat an eyelid at spending money on fags, or football season ticket, but blink when you say you've just bought an xyz telescope (or hi-fi or musical instruments.... I have a lot of vices... 🤣 ).

These things provide long-term enjoyment and they last (my turntable is 37 years old). I think that's far preferable to spending money on less durable things. 

EDIT... of course it should read £10 p.a. 🤦‍♂️

Edited by Tenor Viol
Bad arithmetic!
  • Like 3

Around 20 years ago, an acquaintance of mine admitted spending £1000 each year to be a member of a golf club. Then he told me he also had to pay £15 per game. At least with astronomical equipment, whatever you spend, its yours for life. And the sky, whenever we see it, is free. So a few hundred pounds or even several thousand, pales into insignificance when looking at things long term. The trouble is the grass is always greener, and the appeal of something shiny and new can be hard to resist, but then for many, the equipment is just as vital for their enjoyment as viewing the skies.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tenor Viol said:

There are all kinds of hobbies and interests and they nearly all involve significant capital expenditure - for some it's more likely to be spread out over time (e.g. season tickets for your team, or subs to the gym, hill-walking and camping kit, skis etc), with others it comes in distinct periodic hits such as hi-fi (new amps and speakers), fishing (tackle etc), music (instruments), astronomy (telescope and mounts) etc. 

Astronomy is therefore not unique and like any hobby or interest you can take it to whatever level you prefer to take it to. My Celestron C8 cost me about £400 (I can't remember exactly) in 1980 - it's now 40 years old and this week I've attached it to my HEQ5 mount. That's £1 per annum thus far.

Trouble is most people won't bat an eyelid at spending money on fags, or football season ticket, but blink when you say you've just bought an xyz telescope (or hi-fi or musical instruments.... I have a lot of vices... 🤣 ).

These things provide long-term enjoyment and they last (my turntable is 37 years old). I think that's far preferable to spending money on less durable things. 

Totally agree. I have a few high end insturments and kit (amps/pedals/stuff) I spent 20 years playing in bands and what not, at least the kit and chosen hobbies will last my lifetime, and possibly my sons for a while (He better ;) ). A few bits might even gain in value.

Edited by DeathWarpedUp

Welcome to astronomy, I've realized domes are Like black holes too. Money is thrown in and nothing comes out, lol. 

Well, enjoyment comes out and those WOW moments make it all worth it.

Edited by Nigella Bryant
More comment added.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

Around 20 years ago, an acquaintance of mine admitted spending £1000 each year to be a member of a golf club. Then he told me he also had to pay £15 per game. At least with astronomical equipment, whatever you spend, its yours for life. And the sky, whenever we see it, is free. So a few hundred pounds or even several thousand, pales into insignificance when looking at things long term. The trouble is the grass is always greener, and the appeal of something shiny and new can be hard to resist, but then for many, the equipment is just as vital for their enjoyment as viewing the skies.

That reminds me - when I was a sproglet bank clerk I used to have the job of paying the branch's bills - this is around 1980. In those days bank managers were 'pillars of the community' and all their subscriptions to various 'approved' organisations would be paid (e.g. Round Table etc). I remember paying his annual golf club subs of £600. At the time I earned just over £2k p.a.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tenor Viol said:

That reminds me - when I was a sproglet bank clerk I used to have the job of paying the branch's bills - this is around 1980. In those days bank managers were 'pillars of the community' and all their subscriptions to various 'approved' organisations would be paid (e.g. Round Table etc). I remember paying his annual golf club subs of £600. At the time I earned just over £2k p.a.  

Putting thing into perspective like this shows how affordable today's astro gear really is. ☺

• Like 3

Well, I've enjoyed reading this thread, thank you all.

In the early 1970s a 4 inch achromatic refractor or an 8 inch Newtonian  were highly desired items by aspiring astronomers.  If you did manage to purchase one, you might well have been happy to use it for years, many people did.  They were, and still are, useful to see many things very well and  make useful contributions  to the observing sections of the BAA, JAS (as it was then) and the AAV S O etc should you be so inclined.

Now you can buy either of these instruments for around £300 or less. A fraction of their equivalent costs in the 1970s.  Not expensive for most people at all - and even less when bought on the used market.

Now  instead of people who are mostly interested in observing the wonders of the heavens, we have more collectors of telescopes as objects of desire fostered by manufacturers who bring out numerous new models every year that really offer us little new but will empty our bank accounts.   

The 4 inch  achromat and 8 inch reflector are now described as beginners telescopes and we are encouraged to 'upgrade' as soon as possible.

I remember when astronomers mostly talked about what they had observed, and far less time on the merits of the telescope used.  An astronomers reputation was measured by their observations, not by the quantity, quality or cost of their equipment.

If you want to observe the cosmos, it really doesn't cost that much!

Edited by paulastro
  • Like 5

All was not quite so rosy back then, one fella observed canals on Mars with a very fine instrument, he was lionised and suddenly everyone who was anyone could see them. Then there was Halton Arp who could see anomalous galaxies and his reputation took a real hit.

My first 6" mirror with flat cost me two months salary :( I couldn't grind my own, living in digs and bedsits.

Edited by Corncrake

14 hours ago, Tenor Viol said:

My Celestron C8 cost me about £400 (I can't remember exactly) in 1980 - it's now 40 years old and this week I've attached it to my HEQ5 mount. That's £1 per annum thus far.

That sounds like the kind of maths I use to explain the price of kit to my dear lady, although that is normally the 2/3rds rule ;). If you started in 1620 then it might be £1/annum..... 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, paulastro said:

I remember when astronomers mostly talked about what they had observed, and far less time on the merits of the telescope used.  An astronomers reputation was measured by their observations, not by the quantity, quality or cost of their equipment.

You are totally right of course Paul, and if the skies were kinder then I’m sure the discussion would be more observational than acquisatorial! I certainly notice that topics are more kit based when skies are cloudy.

As Jeremy has said though, I get pleasure from owning my kit as well as using it which adds to the hobby from my perspective. Much of it is second hand so less of an investment than it may appear.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

...but if you want to image it 😂

Ah, I deliberately didnt mention the dark arts 🙂.  Everone to their own I suppose. It's so easy now with all the modern gizmos, I dont really understand why anyone bothers.  Anyway, I think the HST has just about cornered the market in taking snaps of the cosmos 😄.

Re. used scopes - I've only been back in to astronomy for the last couple of years. I'm not sure about the UK but here in Germany, I've really noticed excellent value on many used scopes that are *not* ED/APO refractors. A lot of people switching over to them and so really good deals to be had on achros, SCs, Maks, Newts and so on. Just try and ensure the seller is reputable - you can usually tell if they are serious about the hobby or not (e.g. what else are they selling) - if the former, usually the gear has been well looked after.

Edited by Peter_D
  • Like 1

I quit smoking a couple of years ago. So whenever I feel that my astronomy equipment costs too much, I compare it to all the money that went up in smoke the last 25 years. It actually costs less than 5 years cigarettes.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, R26 oldtimer said:

I quit smoking a couple of years ago. So whenever I feel that my astronomy equipment costs too much, I compare it to all the money that went up in smoke the last 25 years. It actually costs less than 5 years cigarettes.

Good point Diomedes! I don’t really have any other vices so any spare cash goes on Astro stuff for me.

48 minutes ago, paulastro said:

Everone to their own I suppose. It's so easy now with all the modern gizmos, I dont really understand why anyone bothers.

Indeed. I suppose the same could be said for observing, I mean it’s pretty easy to just point a scope up and look at stuff.

(I’m joking by the way, I have a lot of respect for observers and the skill it involved).