Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

8 hours ago, Racey said:

Well actually... I wasn't wondering  

But seeing as you felt the need to confess I'd like to try and reassure that help is available  by pointing out there are helplines for such afflictions...

?

Sorry, can't afford a phone.

:grin:

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, iPeace said:

Sorry, can't afford a phone.

:grin:

Leave it with me...  You've been so helpful to us, @Mrs Racey and I will start one of those crowdfunding exercises !! We'll get you through this buddy... ?

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Racey said:

Leave it with me...  You've been so helpful to us, @Mrs Racey and I will start one of those crowdfunding exercises !! We'll get you through this buddy... ?

I'm fine, really. The path I'm on is better value for my money than mental health care. I've responded much better to the green letter treatment than to any of the others. I can almost come out in daylight, now.

:rolleyes2:

P.S. Only ridiculing myself, here.  :happy11:

Edited by iPeace
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Piero said:

Here is my heavy weight eyepiece case. :) 

My light case is waiting for a new member from Japan.. hopefully it will be ready within 1-2 years :) 

eyepiece_case_201706.thumb.jpg.68fd37b246e12f8f6063758e4e7ca174.jpg

All right, I'll bite.  What is that long tube over on the far right?  I can't say that I've seen anything quite like it in an eyepiece case before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

All right, I'll bite.  What is that long tube over on the far right?  I can't say that I've seen anything quite like it in an eyepiece case before.

Hi Louis, 

That is the 2"-1.25" Glatter laser collimator (650nm) which is inserted in the Glatter tuBlug. Instead, the circle in the plastic bag near the filter case is the square holographic attachment used to collimate the secondary offset. Jason D provided templates for this and described a step by step procedure on CN. I believe one can also check the collimation in refractors using the laser and the square holographic unit. I used this once with my TV60, and a square reticulum was projected with the light beam placed exactly in the centre of this reticulum.

I like the Glatter's tools a lot. They completely changed my feelings about collimation at nighttime. 

Piero

Edited by Piero
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Piero said:

Hi Louis, 

That is the 2"-1.25" Glatter laser collimator (650nm) which is inserted in the Glatter tuBlug. Instead, the circle in the plastic bag near the filter case is the square holographic attachment unit for the laser used to collimate the secondary offset. Jason D provided templates for this and described the procedure step by step on CN. I believe one can also check the collimation in refractors using the laser and the square holographic unit. I used this once with my TV60, and a square reticulum was projected with the light beam placed exactly in the centre of this reticulum.

I like the Glatter's tools a lot. They completely changed my feelings about collimation at nighttime. 

Piero

Thanks.  I might look into that.

Did you hear that Howie Glatter recently passed away?  You can share your thoughts about him here.

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

Thanks.  I might look into that.

Did you hear that Howie Glatter recently passed away?  You can share your thoughts about him here.

Yes, I read about it on SGL (estwig started a thread too) and on CN. That is a very sad news. I read many of his posts and found them very very useful. One could really tell he loved to share his knowledge to people. 

16 hours ago, Piero said:

My light case is waiting for a new member from Japan.. hopefully it will be ready within 1-2 years :) 

These EP choices are excellent and covers all the bases superbly. Great stuff Piero!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jetstream said:

These EP choices are excellent and covers all the bases superbly. Great stuff Piero!

Thanks Gerry, particularly because you helped me a lot in this! :) 

Ok, I've changed around a few things to make room for a few things since last time I showed the case, changes are  3 useless TeleVue's are gone, the little Meade 32 is gone, the two X-Cels are also gone.

New to the box are an ES Coma Corrector, which has been removed to make room fo the ES 100°  5.5.mm

ES 82° 4.7 & 6.7,  an ES 68° 34, and of course with 2" eyepieces I made another trip to the sporting goods store and in the flyfishing department I found these  boxes  then I trimmed the foam liner to fit the filters into and keep them snug.

And as the 1.25 filter boxes I have shown before they are easy to open and remove the filters,,,,,,,,Much easier .

Yeah, and the case will change again in the near future to make room for the 100° 9mm

The CC, and 2"  glass are for the 10" truss dob. and the 1.25's are for the SCT,

Kinda weird, drove a dob one night, a week later I owned a dob.

The use of the coma corrector has put some great resolution in the fov.

thumbnail_IMG_20170621_191834.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20170625_153826.jpg

Edited by SloMoe
  • Like 5

I had been working on a "big dob" cyclops case from the moment I ordered my 20" last October. The 20% off Televue black friday sale got me started with the 21Ethos and 13Ethos. I then added a Paracorr2 just before the dob arrived.

The 100 degree views are amazing but the ability to hold an object in the FOV for longer (having moved from the CPC1100 with tracking) has made the transition to manual nudging a lot easier for me!

Therefore, I decided to add another Ethos and placed a wanted advert which led to me adding a "used" 10mm Ethos which has of course been great on globular clusters. However, I also find that with the shorter focal length of my dob, it is getting into the focuser regularly for other smaller DSO too...

It has been surprisingly easy to get a sharp focus with the 10mm, so I edged my bets and placed another wanted advert for an 8mm. A lovely "used" 8mm has now arrived and been added into the case...

If I need to go any deeper then I will blow the dust of my trusty x2 powermate!

Fyi, the big piece of foam is where I place my 2" filters ready for action at the beginning of each session and gives me somewhere to "hover" when fitting/removing them from the paracorr2 (just in case I drop one). So please don't suggest that I can fit many more eyepieces in there! :)

case1-june17.thumb.jpg.b507897937194b3a15ed13bbbdb88bb0.jpg

The 13mm & 10mm are wearing Baader Hyperion 14mm fine tuning rings to make it easier to find the focuser in the dark.

The 8mm is wearing a Televue 30mm barrel extension plus a 2" Parfocalizing Ring. I played with the paracorr2 in my Borg89 this morning and have set the ring in the same focus position as the 13mm (when in position "H"). I love my Borg, the ability to unscrew the standard tube and swap for a "short tube" allowed me to reach focus with the Paracorr2 inserted!

Now I just need to wait for a chance to test it all out in the dob...

Alan

Edited by alanjgreen
  • Like 5

On 19 June 2017 at 22:49, Piero said:

Mouth (or eye) watering case of goodies Piero.  Very nice indeed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Highburymark said:

Mouth (or eye) watering case of goodies Piero.  Very nice indeed.

Thank you. :) 

It took a lot of research and savings, but it was worth it! :)

• Like 2

On ‎19‎.‎06‎.‎2017 at 23:49, Piero said:

This is just lovely.

You even got endcaps for the Docter :)

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Pondus said:

This is just lovely.

You even got endcaps for the Docter :)

Actually, the previous owner got the end caps for the Docter. It's quite strange that the Docter is sold with a case but no lens caps! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Another heavyweight case but those widefield views that these eyepieces deliver are just so addictive. The ES 92 are imo more comfortable and easy to use than the ethos. I'm looking forward to the yet to be released 6.5mm, 8.8mm and 22mm in this line. In the meantime I will be powermating the 17mm and 12mm - does create a bit of a beast though. (Normal sized eyepiece included for scale).

IMG_1597.JPG

Edited by GavStar
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

At long last I've organised my eyepieces into  cases. A motley collection with not a green letter to be seen. A while back I had something of an eyepiece rehash thinking I'd have a few less, but after the selling and buying I've wound up with more.  Some have not had a proper outing so I've more than enough to keep me occupied. The main case came as a gift from a retired professional photographer and though the case is old its in very good condition and so sturdy you could drive a bus over it and its contents would be OK, not that I'm going to put that to the test. The small case is one I picked up at a charity shop and was originally designed for cosmetics, I think, so that s been re-purposed to house my small EPs with a little room for additions. I was going to say "little" EPs but there is nothing little about the performance of an ortho.

Big Case: 6mm LV, 7mm Nirvana, 9mm LV, 12.5mm Altair LER, 15mm SLV, 20mm ES Maxvision, 32mm Reveleation Plossl, Rigel 35mm.

Small Case: 10mm BCO, 12.5mm Circle T Volcano Top Ortho', 25mm Circle T Volcano Top Kellner.

EP case 1a.JPG

EP case 2a.JPG

Edited by Alfian
  • Like 4

Victorian aesthetic of course! But practical too. The fold down box sides provide space for temporary storage of eyepieces and filters as they're being swapped in and out of the telescope. The 1.25" tray is removable and underneath are a few more bits and pieces that get used far less often. I used to keep eyepieces in the telescope pier but once the pier was permanently outside in my observatory I found they were getting dusty so decided to make a traditional eyepiece case. Now they can all be kept inside but be taken out when needed either in the obys or with my portable scope :) 

59b3c415e93a0_eyepiececase.jpg.41ad67be89c974b6910e51084c57d9a1.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3