Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

20 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

Looks like you have got things covered!

Good orange case that can't get lost in the dark.

Maybe a decent wide angle 24mm??? My MkIII zoom gets pretty narrow at the 24mm setting....

Paul

Either that or a shorter Fl scope? :dontknow:

I've got my eye on a sw 130p/650... :hiding:

• Like 1

Much as I was hoping for a couple of pairs of socks, these two beauties were a very nice birthday present today ?

Have found Delites stunning on moon and planets - these will offer 185x and 247x in Tak 100, or up to 166x in Equinox 80 for travel - and maybe a bit of white light solar. Completes move from heavier EPs to a single case of lightweights. And sky looks clear tonight!

IMG_0913.JPG

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Moonshane said:

I did of course mean Nagler zoom LOL.

I really hated Delos  (and Ethos) on the moon as they had to my eyes at least too much lateral chromatic aberration.  Not so with Delites (or Plossls / Panoptics).

Funny how different eyes see things. I've had Ethos in 21, 13, 8 and 6 and Delos in 17.3 (your old one) for some time plus now the Delos 14 and really like them on a wide range of targets. I just don't see any edge (or centre !) issues with them in any of my scopes :icon_scratch:

1 hour ago, Moonshane said:

It was only on the moon John but I look at the moon every time out and need an eyepiece to work on all targets. I've ad the same issue with t5 Naglers but not t1/2. Perhaps it's my eyes!

Please describe in a bit more detail what sort of chromatic aberration you're seeing on the moon.  Is it visible when the moon is centered, at the edge, both?  Is it only on the moon's limb or is it visible across the face of the moon?  I have Delos, XWs, XLs, Panoptics, Meade 4000 UWA, ES-92, AF70s, etc., so I can look for it the next time I observe the moon in each if I know what I'm looking for.  There is some color fringing on the moon's limb at the edge in just about every eyepiece I've ever looked through.  It's usually yellow/violet though it can be red/blue.  I don't know if that's what your referring, though.

Hi Louis

I am going off memory but it's not CA in the typical sense where it shows as a fringe. Rather it seemed to be flashes of blue and pink as I moved my eye around to take in the view. It was like the moon was flashing colours as I observed and I found it very  irritating. It was present in 26mm Nagler, 16mm Nagler, 13mm Ethos, 17.3mm Deloss and 8mm Delos. To a lesser extent in 10mm and 8mm Radian but never in Delite, older Naglers  or Panoptics. Maybe it's just me or I was misinterpreting what I saw.

On 11/25/2017 at 16:20, Moonshane said:

Hi Louis

I am going off memory but it's not CA in the typical sense where it shows as a fringe. Rather it seemed to be flashes of blue and pink as I moved my eye around to take in the view. It was like the moon was flashing colours as I observed and I found it very  irritating. It was present in 26mm Nagler, 16mm Nagler, 13mm Ethos, 17.3mm Deloss and 8mm Delos. To a lesser extent in 10mm and 8mm Radian but never in Delite, older Naglers  or Panoptics. Maybe it's just me or I was misinterpreting what I saw.

I don't know about blue and pink flashes, but I was astonished to see a nice rainbow wash over the field of my 14mm Morpheus when I put the moon near the edge of the field and then tilted my head to examine edge aberrations and sharpness.  I couldn't replicate it very easily, but it was there.  None of my other eyepieces, including my 12mm and 17mm Nagler T4s, showed any rainbow or blue/pink colors across the face of the moon last night.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently got the ES14mm 100°. The televues are great. Once you go green and black you never go back. A big shout out to the Myriad 100°, I don't use it much as I have an F10 SCT, but when I do its great (on brighter objects like the moon, planets > if you can ever see 'em, and brighter planetary nebulae and Globs ), and especially good on my friends 14" Dob.

Clear skies! :clouds1:

SAM_0160.JPG

• Like 6

Here is my 100 degree eyepiece collection that I use with my big dob!

ethos-case2.jpg.b1318f137db5828dafdc4a0fd78207a6.jpg

I just added a "used" 6mm Ethos to the box (fitted with a TeleVue "barrel extension" & "2 inch parfocal ring" to allow me to use it in the Paracorr2 at the same setting as the Ethos 13 & 10mm) :)

Now looking forward to using it in Big Dob to see what it can do !

Alan

Edited by alanjgreen
  • Like 3