SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show me your eyepiece/accessories case, please.

Leegsi

13 hours ago, Paul73 said:

So what is going to fill all of that spare space?

Eyepice cases abhor a vacuum....

Paul

Thats my "filter" space!

I remove them from their boxes and place them there - UHC (left), O3 (right) and Hb (centre) - then I can grab them in the dark :)

It also gives me a "soft landing" zone should I drop a filter while fitting/removing them to the Paracorr2!

Edited by alanjgreen
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Tyson M said:

This is my grab and go eyepiece case. For the larger Vixen scope I use a photo backpack with the same EP's in bolt cases.

27684702539_accf5d9140_o.jpg

That is a peculiar looking trade mark on the diagonal! What make?

4 minutes ago, 25585 said:

That is a peculiar looking trade mark on the diagonal! What make?

It's a Lunt Herschel Wedge in the 1.25" fitting. The cactus is the Lunt logo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Paul73 said:

My Baader diagonal shows the undersides of clouds much better than the Lunt, day or night.

Apologies for veering off topic, but the UK sounds more and more depressing the more reports of clouds day and night I read about on here.  My closest experience was travelling in Germany in June/July.  It was overcast on all but 3 days out of 16 and never got above 60 degrees F.  By contrast, it was sunny every day I was gone from Texas during that same time period, and the highs were always in the upper 90s.

2 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Apologies for veering off topic, but the UK sounds more and more depressing the more reports of clouds day and night I read about on here.  My closest experience was travelling in Germany in June/July.  It was overcast on all but 3 days out of 16 and never got above 60 degrees F.  By contrast, it was sunny every day I was gone from Texas during that same time period, and the highs were always in the upper 90s.

It's certainly not Texas weather but it's not that bad. I've only had a telescope for a year but feel like I've got a good amount of use out of it. Would I like to have used it more? Of course I would but it's a case of making the best of what you have. I've had a couple of sessions already this week :) 

• Like 1

As Neil says, ....... " its a case of making the best of what you have. " The weather here in the UK, at least in my neck of the woods, has been atrocious for Observing this past year.  Guess I've been spoiled as I've lived most of my life near a dark location on California's coast, so the hobby here makes about as much sense as having surfing as a hobby while living in the desert.  Got to say though, I now have a greater appreciation for the rare clear nights when they do present themselves.  :smiley:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Louis D said:

You know how to hit a nation when we are down don't you Louis? ;);) 

Seriously though, the weather is a constant challenge, frequent cloud and the jetstream often wanders overhead to give poor seeing. Vapour trails from aircraft (I live near Heathrow but they also affect a lot of the country) contribute to poor transparency as well. Being on the edge of a large ocean, with prevailing winds blowing off it bringing constant weather systems and moist air our way makes life interesting!

That said, I think we have had quite a few nights this winter where the transparency had been very good. I've seen plenty of observing reports which is great, and shows that people are getting out there and making the most of it. I've had more sessions this winter than last, definitely.

There does seem to be a desire for people to have kit which can be setup (and taken down!) quickly so that we can exploit small gaps in the weather.

I was going to say at least we don't get hurricanes, but parts of the country are currently being battered by 100mph+ winds, so not far off!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

It's certainly not Texas weather but it's not that bad. I've only had a telescope for a year but feel like I've got a good amount of use out of it. Would I like to have used it more? Of course I would but it's a case of making the best of what you have. I've had a couple of sessions already this week :) 

I agree, I had a lot of good nights last year. From a superb Jupiter opposition and Ganymede transit, excellent Saturn opposition, through to some superb deep sky views including a really good M42. It's dark where I live in the country though, the nearest coast to me is in Wales and I'm over 180 metres above mean sea level.

• Like 1

I've previously shared my cases of Takahashi and Pentax eyepieces that I use with my Takahashi FS102.

I've recently bought some 2-inch eyepieces and a Barlow for my Celestron C9.25. They fit nicely inside a padded photo bag I picked up for £11 new.

L to R Celestron Luminos x2.5 Barlow, ES 18mm 82deg, Luminos 23mm 82deg, ES 34mm 68deg

Jeremy

Eyepieces 2 inch.jpg

• Like 8

On 12/01/2018 at 14:39, JeremyS said:

I've previously shared my cases of Takahashi and Pentax eyepieces that I use with my Takahashi FS102.

I've recently bought some 2-inch eyepieces and a Barlow for my Celestron C9.25. They fit nicely inside a padded photo bag I picked up for £11 new.

L to R Celestron Luminos x2.5 Barlow, ES 18mm 82deg, Luminos 23mm 82deg, ES 34mm 68deg

Jeremy

Eyepieces 2 inch.jpg

Nice eyepieces! 

I find padded photo bags very useful to bring a small set of eyepieces. In particular, a shoulder bag can be handy whether one observes sitting or standing. 

Which models is yours? 

Mine is a Lowepro Event Messenger 100  (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowepro-Event-Messenger-Camera-DSLR/dp/B0077B2XI2?th=1). I bought it when I used 1.25" TV eyepieces and it was pretty large for storing a 24 Pan, 3 T6 Nagler and a powermate. My current set is a bit tight but still fits. I might get a larger model at some point. Solid eyepiece cases are great in my opinion, but in the field a small bag allows one to grab / store eyepieces quickly. Of course this depends on the number of eyepieces one uses. For a small set, it is ideal to me. 

Here is my Lowepro. The VIP is generally left attached to the zoom or the docter via T2.

LoweproEventMessenger100.thumb.png.b04b7ad62633917d910f6b7ca06fb151.png 

Edited by Piero
  • Like 7

45 minutes ago, Piero said:

Which models is yours? 

Hello Piero,

you bag looks great. Mine's a "S-ZONE Padded Shockproof Foldable Partition Camera Insert Protective Bag" (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075WSCR1W/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1). So it's designed to fit inside another bag, but this is not necessary as it's fine as it is. Even has a handle on top.

Jeremy

IMG_7486.JPG

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Hello Piero,

you bag looks great. Mine's a "S-ZONE Padded Shockproof Foldable Partition Camera Insert Protective Bag" (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075WSCR1W/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1). So it's designed to fit inside another bag, but this is not necessary as it's fine as it is. Even has a handle on top.

Jeremy

That's a very useful size!  

• Like 1

On 12/01/2018 at 14:39, JeremyS said:

Jeremy

Eyepieces 2 inch.jpg

1 hour ago, Piero said:

Nice eyepieces! 

I find padded photo bags very useful to bring a small set of eyepieces. In particular, a shoulder bag can be handy whether one observes sitting or standing. 

Which models is yours? 

Mine is a Lowepro Event Messenger 100  (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowepro-Event-Messenger-Camera-DSLR/dp/B0077B2XI2?th=1). I bought it when I used 1.25" TV eyepieces and it was pretty large for storing a 24 Pan, 3 T6 Nagler and a powermate. My current set is a bit tight but still fits. I might get a larger model at some point. Solid eyepiece cases are great in my opinion, but in the field a small bag allows one to grab / store eyepieces quickly. Of course this depends on the number of eyepieces one uses. For a small set, it is ideal to me. 

Here is my Lowepro. The VIP is generally left attached to the zoom or the docter via T2.

LoweproEventMessenger100.thumb.png.b04b7ad62633917d910f6b7ca06fb151.png 

I can see a new post about to be  started Chaps

Show us your eyepiece bags

?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

I can see a new post about to be  started Chaps

Show us your eyepiece bags

?

:D 

I like this one quite a lot.. https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Gadget-Messenger-Large-Interior/dp/B00CF5OHZ2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1515872782&sr=1-1&keywords=AmazonBasics%2BDSLR%2BGadget%2BMessenger%2BBag%2BLarge%2Bwith%2BGrey%2BInterior&th=1 

I could fit the 20mm Lunt HDC, VIP plus 40mm spacer, SQM-meter and still have some space for other small gadgets. 

• Like 2

I've rehoused my light set up from a small toolbox into the same kind of padded case as my heavy set up. Everything now has its own place so I can change things without needing any lights and everything is incubated and protected out into the field. Apologies for the little space left in the corner, that will be filled with a Barlow of some sort in due course for use with my microguide eyepiece for measuring things where a focal length shorter than 12.5 mm is useful. I haven't yet settled on what to go for.

20180114_001743_HDR_crop_1083x747.thumb.jpg.3e47e88beaa0af5183cc8bdee0bc664e.jpg

Here's the heavy set up for comparison. This has not changed for some time and I wouldn't be surprised if it never changes.

20170606_210459_HDR_crop_1066x747.thumb.jpg.0e84c3fb47cbbc42fd9400d0e27a78dc.jpg

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

Morning all, guess I've been away for a while, new cases, one for my 100's and the dob, the other with some 82's and things for the SCT.

EYEPIECE CASE FOR:  Skywatcher Truss 10" dob w/ dual speed Crayford    

Williams Optics 100° & 110°, 5mm, 9mm & 20mm  

Zhumell 16mm z100 100°

ES 5.5mm 100°

ES 82° 6.7mm

ES 34mm 68°

2" Barlow

ES HRCC           

thumbnail_IMG_20180204_084640.jpg.b04107e3ab055c61821c4aea07a0ff29.jpgthumbnail_IMG_20180204_084526.jpg.ad0433a3b6e2313e04760c36baa49b5e.jpg

EYEPIECE CASE FOR:  Celestron 8i SCT w/ GPS

ES 8.8mm, 11mm, & 14mm 82°

ES 20mm 68°

ES 2X Focal Extender

Baader Zeiss MK IV Zoom

TeleVue 32mm plossl

Celstron 6.3 F/R

Orion Dielectric diagonal

Baader-Zeiss T2 diagonal          

thumbnail_IMG_20180204_084745.jpg.5b04ea3d8b868958f48493562f04435a.jpg

Edited by SloMoe
  • Like 5