SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Do you ever feel like you've wasted your money?

Olli

So after the past month ( might be even longer)  it has been cloudy basically every night or its raining since the first month I bought my scope I managed to use it a few times but havent since. And now as the skies are getting dark later I no longer feel like going out as I'm just too tired to go out late. Because of these reasons I  keep thinking to myself if I have waisted my money on buying a scope. I know this is probably not true and will hopefully pass when I get to use scope again but was wondering if any of you have had this feeling before?  

I still have my strong interest in astronomy still though :)

Edited by Olli
  • Like 1

It’s just an attack of the clouded-out blues. We all (I think ?) get that sometimes.

You’ll be fine - and we’ll all still be around to hear from you when you get better ... ?

• Like 1

I think it also depends on your reasons to purchase a scope in the first place.

I dont know when you started astronomy but for me, its been an OK winter, weather wise. Last winter was worse for me here. Only bad weather is this last 4 weeks for me. Although I was away for two of those weeks to a place where the sun and stars shone brightly :)

I have never felt I have wasted my money on my astronomy gear. Having been viewing since 2010 and imaging since 2016. Purchasing lots of bits and pieces. I find the weather just a obstacle to wait out until it changes for the better. And I do think, personally, if it was clear skies every night then I would probably get bored quickly and sell up lol.

I think the weather will improve next week. Hold on in there. It will get better, it always does ;)

• Thanks 1

I live in a place, where for about 4 months straight, i can't think about my telescope, despite how much i would love to go out,  near arctic temperatures are forbidding.

What makes it worse is the crystal clear winter skies which tease the hell out of me, yes i felt like you many times, hang in there, it is worth it when you have your time under the stars. 

• Like 1

Can't say I've felt like I've wasted my money, but definitely had the cloudy blues.

We all have though, and it's just something you have to accept with this hobby, the weather is so unpredictable.

Youll get spoilt with a few good clear nights in a row, and then you can go a month or so of pure cloud.

4 minutes ago, Star101 said:

I think it also depends on your reasons to purchase a scope in the first place.

I dont know when you started astronomy but for me, its been an OK winter, weather wise. Last winter was worse for me here. Only bad weather is this last 4 weeks for me. Although I was away for two of those weeks to a place where the sun and stars shone brightly :)

I have never felt I have wasted my money on my astronomy gear. Having been viewing since 2010 and imaging since 2016. Purchasing lots of bits and pieces. I find the weather just a obstacle to wait out until it changes for the better. And I do think, personally, if it was clear skies every night then I would probably get bored quickly and sell up lol.

I think the weather will improve next week. Hold on in there. It will get better, it always does ;)

Well I have always been interested in astronomy was mostly reading books but got my first scope beginning of the year. I'm hoping it will change as I said I still love learning about it all so that's still a good sign.

• Like 1

This spring has been dire with near constant cloud and rain. The few sunny days quickly clouded over come evening, just to rub it in.

As an imager it's nearly impossible to grab the odd 5mins.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Floater said:

It’s just an attack of the clouded-out blues. We all (I think ?) get that sometimes.

You’ll be fine - and we’ll all still be around to hear from you when you get better ... ?

I hope so :)

No, remember that a telescope will last you many years, if not rest of your life.. so I don't think its a waste of money since you will get use out of it, with amazing views over time.... a waste of money would be determining that it was a "waste of money" and selling it for half of what you paid.

I'm sure that you have other items you bought which you perhaps haven't used for longer than 6 months...

You wont think like it a waste once you see Planets of nebulae of a particularly crisp night that will make you go "Oh WOW"... and even if you did have your scope out every night, the chance of having conditions that are amazing every night is low... this way it'll keep you hungry for more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I live in the North East of Scotland and sometimes I do get that feeling but when I get those few and far between magic nights all thoughts of selling get clouded out. I almost almost put mine up for sale. After a good run of pictures I am now looking into a APS H size CCD. I dont think I could part with my Observatory its just too good to sell and the amount of money and gear I have gone through to get to the point I am at now.

• Like 1

I'll add that I regard imaging as a long game, being prepared to carry projects over more than one year. I have one I started last Oct that I'll pick up again when the targets come round again. It's when projects don't even start that's frustrating.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

If I'm brutally honest to myself, I think I've probably wasted my money :( Although I'll probably get the odd clear night or two over the course of a year, it's not enough to be able to justify the expense of several imaging setups. Especially not when you add in the increasing light pollution. I think I must be a masochist. Hey ho.

Louise

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You have to get what you can, when you can, how you can. Been on a family visit to Fylde coast Lancashire. Astronomy was not on the agenda as the forecast looked not so great as usual. As an after thought I took along my binoculars, monopod. Glad I did as last night became lovely and clear, so enjoyed touring the clusters around Auriga, Gemini, Cancer, concluding with the Beehive Cluster, a perfect binocular object. The ISS cruised overhead before my Dad came out to remind me that the Sky at Night was due to start. So quite satisfying after a lengthy period of no activity. Patience, going with the flow with the familiar forecast disappointment, keep on planning and aspiring and retain options in terms of approach.     

• Thanks 1

Funnily enough that thought crossed my mind today. I’ve bought quite a few astronomy related items recently and have a couple more planned. The forecast is consistently poor at the moment. I did find myself wondering why I’m buying all this stuff. However, I can look back on similar  times to this in the past and know that the clear skies did eventually arrive and I throughly enjoyed my scope then. I observed through the summer last year. Sagittarius and Cygnus are wonderful constellations. I used to take a power nap 9:30-10:30pm. Observe 11pm until 2 or 3am and then get up at 7:30am for work. Sometimes 2 or 3 nights in a row. I was tired but got to see an awful lot of things that most people will never get to see in their lives.

The payback on your scope won’t come in regular even instalments but every now and then a pot of gold will arrive in the form of an unforgettable night under the stars. Those will be the times that scope will seem worth every penny. Have a read of some of the observing reports. That’s always a good way to remember why you bought a scope :) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well... Thank you for all of the replies it has been quite interesting reading them all. I'm hoping this is just a phase and once there's a clear night again and I am in the right mood I will remember why I got my scope. Granted my setup is probably no where near the cost of some of yours so it's a bit different to compare. :)

• Like 1

I do not feel that my astronomy investment has been a waste of money, but the reality is, that I do feel observing conditions in the UK fall far short of being worthy of what I have spent. I've been on and off in this hobby since the mid 1960's, and if one looks at it as a seasonal or hobby of opportunity, then it can be most satisfying. Unfortunately, while trying to wade through the quagmire of advertising, many new to the hobby get caught up in the starry eyed gadget trap, which can make one feel like they have wasted their money for the meagre returns. 

Edited by L8-Nite
spell
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Olli said:

Well I have always been interested in astronomy was mostly reading books but got my first scope beginning of the year. I'm hoping it will change as I said I still love learning about it all so that's still a good sign.

If you’ve always been interested in astronomy, then that is likely to be something that continues with you for life. I have been doing this for about 18 years now, and try not to consider it as something I have to do x times a month or week. That spoils the enjoyment for me, and would make me feel frustrated. I have a young family, busy job and just try to fit Astronomy around that. It is highly annoying when you have a free night, have the energy to observe but the clouds spoil the show, but I’ve had enough amazing nights to make it all worth while.

Spring and Autumn observing can be some of the best, and I don’t subscribe to the ‘pack it in over summer’ idea, there is always solar or some twilight double star observing, or the moon!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

If I look at the money I've spent on astronomy equipment over the last few decades, I'm sure I could have bought a brand new car for the same out lay, and I would certainly get a lot more use out of the car! At one point I've had as many as 8-9 telescopes sitting around waiting to be used.

However, if you're into astronomy you're into astronomy. It's as simple as that. You'll always have your eye on one bit of kit or the other even though opportunities to use the kit can be few and far between. It's not a practical use of money beyond a point, but looking at your sig I really don't thin you've over done it. It's nice to have at least one scope available if you do find it clear out side and you don't have an early start for work :)     

• Like 5

I find that currently i have more time for solar observing and it seems to present more opportunities too. Lunar is also good as it 'burns through' the cloud. I have a lot on in my life generally currently so don't have much time in general so grabbing titbits is all I hope for.

• Like 4

I've only been doing this for a few years and the weather has always been mostly poor in that time so I don't have any better experiences to compare it to. 6 weeks with no opportunities does happen now and again. Two weeks with no opportunities happens often. I keep everything ready to go on an opportunistic basis because it's easy to miss a chance if you were not expecting it.

I probably have too much stuff and need to thin things out a bit but this is a long term interest for me and I do feel I'm getting my monies worth over the long term.

• Like 2

I've spent most of my life and money on astronomy. I've seen so many wonderful things and met so many wonderful people that I feel that every minute and penny have been well spent.  :icon_biggrin:

Edited by Peter Drew
Typo
  • Like 17