Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Do you ever feel like you've wasted your money?

Olli

10 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Yes I agree with Peter. I have been involved with astronomy for well over 50 years and have seen some wonderful events and met some great fellow astronomers that will remain friends for the rest of my life.

It has been rather annoying weather recently and I have only really used my PST and the small Heritage 130P. Next week I fly out to California for nearly a month and I am taking my 12x70 Binoculars in the hope of seeing some delights of lower Scorpius and Sagittarius plus hopefully catch a view of Omega Centauri. If the skies are kind I will be a happy observing astronomer again.

Hope you have a great holiday.Hopefully the skies are better across the pond  :)

20 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

True, but you need DATA to work with.  Not much of that been incoming this last month or so....

Well, I wasn't exclusively considering "many hours" of classical (night time) imaging. ;)
But I have struggled to get even ONE minute gaps in the clouds for SOLAR imaging...

P.S. In similar whimsy, I have to admit I haven't yet tried *Radio Astronomy* -- But! :D 

Edited by Macavity

23 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Yes I agree with Peter. I have been involved with astronomy for well over 50 years and have seen some wonderful events and met some great fellow astronomers that will remain friends for the rest of my life.

It has been rather annoying weather recently and I have only really used my PST and the small Heritage 130P. Next week I fly out to California for nearly a month and I am taking my 12x70 Binoculars in the hope of seeing some delights of lower Scorpius and Sagittarius plus hopefully catch a view of Omega Centauri. If the skies are kind I will be a happy observing astronomer again.

Enjoy.  I have done a lot of visual from outside of San Diego, out in the semi desert, and it is spectacular.  Watch for snakes and scorpions if you go a-wandering with the bins glued to your eyes.....!

I suppose there must have been the odd piece of astro kit I regretted buying but I can't think of any.  I have been well pleased with practically everything I have bought.  What I'm not pleased about is the number of times I can use the kit!!

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Ow, sure when you are losing money it 's bad thing, but it's not a point to stop. The idea is that if you lost money it should be a lesson for you, for future. So in case you will fault it same situation, you already know what to do. In my case when I am losing my money I am trying to get it back and my way to earn money is really simple, everything that I need it's connection to Internet and PC. I enjoy my work since i am passing surveys, playing games, even viewing websites. You can earn 100-150 dollars monthly. During the quarantine ir is really valuable chance. Here is the link yourmoneygeek.com

Edited by RonyJoshua

On 10/04/2018 at 08:14, Thalestris24 said:

If I'm brutally honest to myself, I think I've probably wasted my money :( Although I'll probably get the odd clear night or two over the course of a year, it's not enough to be able to justify the expense of several imaging setups. Especially not when you add in the increasing light pollution. I think I must be a masochist. Hey ho.

Louise

The light pollution reason is where imaging comes to play... especially the narrowband side of it....

Well, if a good scope was one of your childhood dreams, it's not wasted.

You might have squandered the money on other things ;) 

I know i have spent money on *WAY* more stupid things than my astro gear.

Best, U.