Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show us your ED80’s!

Would love to see some pictures of people’s ed80s whether for imaging or just visual, amazing little scopes and can’t wait to get mine! Curious to see what type of focuser/finder/mount people are using so please please post your pictures! :D 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my ED80 as part of a dual imaging rig.  Sorry its annotated for other purposes, however looking at the annotation, the ED80 is about the only part I didn't label, anyway it's the black scope.

The finder is off my gold ED120 and is being used here as a finderguider. 

Dual%20Rig%20ED80%20and%20WO.jpg

This is my Opticstar ED 80   (F5).....  has since taken two unfortunate tumbles and may need a replacement. Here I was having a go at guiding. Haven't quite mastered that yet.

IMG_3807.thumb.JPG.b98bae0301e430e0118539ad8b3c3b2b.JPG

and this is my SW Equinox 80 (F6.25)...  deployed here controversially  in "Narrow Band with a DSLR mode"

IMG_6158.thumb.JPG.9f4527ee720cad4584862800c04f2ed2.JPG

:icon_biggrin:

It's not the ED80 everyones thinks of, f/7.5 Sky-Watcher or Orion doublet with FPL-53 glass, but it's great, too. FPL-51 glass, f/7 ratio, dielectric, violet-damping diagonal, and woven carbon fiber tube for looks. I didn't choose carbon, it was the material attached to the optics sold at a get-rid-of-it-quick clearance price because they were too infected with mold. The store didn't want to bother cleaning them, which I did. The scope was brand new, no marring on the drawtube and the mounting shoe.

Last night there was a so-so clearing, the 80 split a half-dozen doubles with no effort at all, and showed me a couple globulars, M13 and M92. The indigo halo around Vega came and went with fluctuations in the air and focus, but it was surprisingly - and delightfully - absent at focus in calm air (80x). Its basic eyepiece is a Maxvision 34/68, 5mm exit pupil, four degrees at 16x, which is so heavy it requires the sliding counterweight.

20171224_021006.thumb.jpg.241c9ddf81b088dcd6afcebc6e4d02c1.jpg

The night before, during a much briefer clearing, I thought a thermal plume was maybe distorting the diffraction disk a little bit, but none of that seemed to be the case this night. I need to observe with carbon over this and the warmer season to know for real if and how it affects the view.

Here is my Takahashi FC-100 with an 80ED on piggy back. Taken at the last Galloway star camp in November 2017.  I'm in the white goose jacket, dont know who the other numpties are ...  The 80ED has an upgraded moonlite focuser fitted and in this shot a QHY8-L CCD

IMG_2635.JPG

45 minutes ago, Jbro1985 said:

Recently received from Skipper Billy.  Awaiting first light as the clouds have typically rolled in!

Itching to get going with it.IMG-20180112-WA0003.thumb.jpeg.6e66a2ceff0f73be3bb32813df09e63a.jpeg

and here she  is in her previous home ! Scroll down to about 1/2 way down the page.

Moonlite focuser - SO smooth ?

https://sites.google.com/view/astro-imaging/equipment

I miss her !?

This is a picture of my 80ED, Baader M56 clicklock clamp is the only update.

80ED_stock_focuser.thumb.jpg.974f923d82257c193f2fef1665e3c217.jpg

The picture shows some impractical stuffs for solar binoviewing, e.g. the extra clickclamp reducers, two unpaired larger zooms, only to show that the stock focuser is more than capable to handle these weight without any slip.

Archived