Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

Just now, nephilim said:

It certainly is a never ending bottomless money pit mate 😂No photo description available.

I dread to think what I have spent over the years.

I'm still torn between the L enhance and L extreme, though being under Bortle 4 I think the L enhance will do just fine.

13 minutes ago, MARS1960 said:

I dread to think what I have spent over the years.

I'm still torn between the L enhance and L extreme, though being under Bortle 4 I think the L enhance will do just fine.

I was the same. I'm under Bortle 3/4 I wanted it for Moonlit nights mainly as they seem to be the only ones that are clear 😒 But now i've used on nights that have no Moon it really does make a massive difference with the amount of signal it can collect over a short period of time.

I've only been back in the hobby since last Nov & i'm already rapidly heading towards 5 figures.....I try not to think about it so it never really happened 😬

• Haha 1

This arrived today. It's an over shoulder, cross chest "Manbag". Very handy for keeping wallets,phones and others bits and bobs in. At night it can be used for storing EPs, and other bits of astro gear while outside. There's plenty of storage space in its five compartments. It even comes with a mesh drinks pouch.

Available in different colours and an option to have it left or right handed.

20210818_171121.jpg

• Like 4

23 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

This arrived today. It's an over shoulder, cross chest "Manbag". Very handy for keeping wallets,phones and others bits and bobs in. At night it can be used for storing EPs, and other bits of astro gear while outside. There's plenty of storage space in its five compartments. It even comes with a mesh drinks pouch.

Available in different colours and an option to have it left or right handed.

20210818_171121.jpg

Just say what it is. It's a handbag for men...

Link please. I need to check they have them in light brown to match my astro boots, or should I go for biege, maybe a completely different colour for contrast? Why is being on trend sooo complicated?! 😉

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
One less "is".
  • Haha 9

34 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Just say what it is. It's a handbag for men...

Link please. I need to check they have them in light brown to match my astro boots, or should I go for biege, maybe a completely different colour for contrast? Why is being on trend is sooo complicated?! 😉

I don't carry it in my hand(s), so not a handbag. I can't remember who I bought it from. It was an advert on FB. I also bought ( a few weeks ago) one of those wallets that flip your cards up, and your cards can't be read by those scimming machines, from the same company which was also on FB.

40 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

I don't carry it in my hand(s), so not a handbag. I can't remember who I bought it from. It was an advert on FB. I also bought ( a few weeks ago) one of those wallets that flip your cards up, and your cards can't be read by those scimming machines, from the same company which was also on FB.

That's a disappointment. Not to worry. ☹️

It must be a cultural thing.  Up here, "handbag" is all encompassing, used to describe various types of bag, for instance a shoulder bag, cross the body, clutch, clasp, etc.

For example the missus may be found scrambling around frantically and ask, "Where's me 'andbag?" when referring to the particular bag used that week which could be any of the styles above and more... 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

That's a disappointment. Not to worry. ☹️

It must be a cultural thing.  Up here, "handbag" is all encompassing, used to describe various types of bag, for instance a shoulder bag, cross the body, clutch, clasp, etc.

For example the missus may be found scrambling around frantically and ask, "Where's me 'andbag?" when referring to the particular bag used that week which could be any of the styles above and more... 😀

If I find out who I got it from, I'll let you know. There's thousands available online. This one is extremely good quality and only cost about €30. I just found that it also contains a self retracting cord in the top compartment that you can attach your house or bike lock keys. Nice little feature. Also, the inside material in all compartments is similar to a cooling/keep warm bag (no more warm sandwiches for lunch, and keep EPs warm at night). It can be worn underneath clothing because it's not big and bulky (extra level of security.

I'm well happy. 

• Like 1

For once a very cheap bargain (eBay).  Moonfish 30mm 80 degree eyepiece.

In my recently obtained Zenithstar 61 this has an astounding 6.67 degree view, so basically it can be used as a finder.

Seen mixed reviews of these and the clones of it, but this (genuine) one is nice and sharp even out to the edges

(and I can use it with my glasses on so the eye relief is pretty good.)

At x12 magnification in the Z61 it is great for just looking about the night sky , and even doubles up as a birdwatching scope for the birds on my garden feeder.

Moonfish 2021_08_19.jpg

• Like 12

Presenting the ridiculously expensive WO Bahtinov Mask for my Samyang 135ED camera lens. Unfortunately there isn't a dedicated one for this lens unless you go down the 3D printed route & after having a dodgy 3d printed experience I've sworn not to go down that route again.

Although this looks like it's clear acrylic, it's actually Mithril Silver hewn from rock in the Mines of Moria by the Dwarf Lords themselves (Lord of the Rings for those who don't know) magically disguised as acrylic 😂 To be fair to WO this seems  very well made & feels solid & with it been transparent it maximises light transmission for really clear & well defined diffraction spikes.

This one will fit over any dew shield measuring between 75-110mm in diameter by adjusting the brass (I think brass?) screws. This will also actually benefit me in the long run as it'll fit the refractor I'm buying this winter (100mm App) so 2 for the price of 1......At £44 though it's still a very very expensive Bahtinov Mask. 

The usual very good service from FLO, ordered Tuesday evening & delivered this morning, also very well packaged 🙂.

Steve

PS Don't tell Smaug about the Mithril.May be an image of indoor and text that says "ULEFONE O SHOT ON ARMOR 8"

IMG_20210819_222303_070.jpg

IMG_20210819_222007_894.jpg

Edited by nephilim
  • Like 5

New Bresser Binoviewer arrived today. Had a WO binoviewer a few years back, but never really got on with it. Seemed a chore to get set up right for decent views, so hoping this one works better (fingers crossed). Also, a new 2” dual speed focuser for my 10” Skywatcher. Old focuser was getting yucky, and not helped that i wacked it on the corner of the house when setting up. Made a nice squeeking noise after that, so time for a new one after repairs failed to cure the squeek.

04A1B258-3216-4287-AD9C-9FF446DCC2F9.thumb.jpeg.f6f1ae841d45a854dabebbb79493db6a.jpeg762B379D-CA03-4518-B68A-1E0ADBDB8CE3.thumb.jpeg.a8687aa3bd4f194460db2e8c37ef74fb.jpeg90A523DD-DB73-484B-BFF1-369345A18E00.thumb.jpeg.ab5c3b31aa7cef538573e762f1a2b95d.jpeg0E72C273-E0D8-4C20-A10A-EB4CABC41347.thumb.jpeg.810b583303182aa436365db06799660a.jpeg

• Like 12

Flip-Flat panel and Rotator from Deep Sky Dad.

1629474827125.jpg

These came a lot sooner than expected, a Flip-Flat panel that I should be able to automate via INDI to take flats at end of a session and it should change the illumination level to suit different filters.

Also a rotator. I have been after a good affordable rotator for sometime now, is this good enough ?  Hopefully soon to find out.
I have physically fit the rotator, that was simplicity in itself now to get it to work and test how stiff and reliable it really is.

All being well I will try to review it in the appropriate section in the coming weeks.

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang
  • Like 2