NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

11 hours ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Wheres the sparrow images then ? 🙂 

Still on the camera at the moment! I'll try and post them up soon

11 hours ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

I keep wanting one of these for a widefield setup but would need to sell something I think to justify another major purchase at this stage.

Think of it as an investment 😀  or think of it as buy now and sell something else to make up the money later 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 17/06/2022 at 17:40, JeremyS said:

@Ags latest 👍🏻
looks excellent 

image.thumb.jpg.62765c4af986f31030bc3db9ff2d74c4.jpg

Snap!

20220618_055607.thumb.jpg.1510e1378903c8cf01ceb277982e36a7.jpg

The best designs are those put forward by people who actually use the things they're designing. That is the case with this excellent new book from @Ags.

All the hours I've spent in the past, pouring over my atlases and catalogues trying to put some kind of structure into my observing sessions, could have been saved if I'd had this book and the companion volume "Discovering Double Stars".

Excellent, user friendly format sky guide, that will be equally helpful to both beginners and experts. These books need to be kept in the scope bag rather than on the bookcase.

Cheers @Ags👍.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

13 days from order to delivery, aliexpress. Weather is supposed to be good for observing tonight so I'll get to try it against the 25mm plossl that came with the scope. If I like it, I'll order other sizes. 

25mm.jpg.824e5a841eb731d8bc87f63343a5f8cb.jpg

Edited by McQ
typo
  • Like 9

13 hours ago, McQ said:

13 days from order to delivery, aliexpress. Weather is supposed to be good for observing tonight so I'll get to try it against the 25mm plossl that came with the scope. If I like it, I'll order other sizes. 

25mm.jpg.824e5a841eb731d8bc87f63343a5f8cb.jpg

I had one of these for two years. Much better than bundled eyepieces.

• Like 4

So this time it was a collection as I reckon the postie would  not have got this on his bike …  a 10” flex tube dob … after a bit of tidying up this evening the scope looks in fantastic condition .. had to put two extensions on to achieve focus  with a 1 1/4” EP ( not sure if that’s normal but it seemed to work on close targets maybe on stars ( when I will see one god only knows due to cloud zzz) I can achieve focus easier ? 
Anyway I am really pleased with my catch . 

ACB93FAC-65C5-4CAF-A65A-7AA6DEA05FA5.jpeg

• Like 10

Ordered from Rother Valley on Friday despite Adam saying it was out of stock and would take a few days to come in. Then, on Saturday afternoon Adam rang to say he'd found one on a shelf that wasn't showing in stock so he'd sent it off.  Arrived yesterday afternoon!.  it's perpetual daylight in central Scotland now, so I'll be building up a substantial darks library while I wait for some dark nights.  The camera is huge (and heavy) compared to my ASI533MC pro so I might get a chance to use the second counterweight on the EQ8R-pro :)  (the ASI533 will no doubt be appearing in the for sale section soon).

Graeme2075811619_newzwo.thumb.jpg.d097783da524c9267fe4eb092aaebad4.jpg

• Like 10

13 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

So this time it was a collection as I reckon the postie would  not have got this on his bike …  a 10” flex tube dob … after a bit of tidying up this evening the scope looks in fantastic condition .. had to put two extensions on to achieve focus  with a 1 1/4” EP ( not sure if that’s normal but it seemed to work on close targets maybe on stars ( when I will see one god only knows due to cloud zzz) I can achieve focus easier ? 
Anyway I am really pleased with my catch . 

ACB93FAC-65C5-4CAF-A65A-7AA6DEA05FA5.jpeg

Excellent, will look forward to hearing how you get on with this. 

• Like 1

At last, my “grab and go” set up, although to be honest, I only”go” about 2 metres onto balcony. I’ve always wanted a small refractor, and now I have. 4.25 apo triplet. On a go-to alt-az  mount.  Now, all I need is a 2” diagonal (ordered), a decent night with no clouds, haze, sea mist, etc., and will use it to observe the Moon, doubles and large clusters. To say I’m excited is an understatement. Once I’ve had “first light” , I’ll write a small observing report.😁

ED6AA539-8449-4F57-9B99-C2288EF70043.jpeg

63F6E3A0-79D5-4277-8425-2A4911274795.jpeg

Edited by DrMike
Wrong photo
  • Like 21

130mm solar filter from @BrendanC on the forum.  Little bit too large for the 127slt, but with some velcro tabs, it fit like a finger up an.... like a glove.  As is tradition, it brought the clouds.  Unfortunately (I think the karma will be transferred to someone else), it brought FAR more sunshine so I've spent the day weeding in the garden and looking at sunspots.  Incredible fun.  I think I'm going to leave the SLT up the shed for the summer so I can just whip it out for some nice observations!  I'm going to have to invest in some new eyepieces though.  The 28mm that came with the SLT has some incredible blackouts.

Cheers Brendan!

PXL_20220620_125430827.jpg

PXL_20220620_130725400.jpg

• Like 12

One of my Father's Day pressies from my daughter. She knows I like mythology and the book also gives nice star maps, Messier objects, etc.

IMG_20220621_130017.thumb.jpg.6f222cfcd88b56a8d1a43443286d481e.jpg

Edited by cajen2
  • Like 12

7 hours ago, Sabalias said:

I don’t buy much of my kit new but a recent windfall allowed me to splash out. FLO, as always, went above and beyond. 
8C5BAAB2-BF69-4BC2-B0EC-F9D02A417CCC.thumb.jpeg.55b8eee1910552c28780db4f07defda4.jpeg

Snap! I have the same keyboard!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My most expensive Astro purchase by far…

Shiny new AZ-EQ6. Bought from FLO, customer return so nice little discount. No signs of use whatsoever and even the boxes were in decent nick.

Holds the old 300p nicely, will be for visual this year with the aim to getting back to planetary imaging next year (or m perhaps later this year if the spare money gods smile on me a little more!) 

Gonna try it out in EQ mode tomorrow to see if four CW will be enough. Hoping so with the extension bar. 

Edit: It DOES balance with 4 weights, happy camper here! Takes a full 7kg less to balance than the same scope on my old EQ6, thanks to the longer and thicker CW bar.

38E02C36-F784-4079-8955-4D23C16B1E02.jpeg

Edited by CraigT82
  • Like 23

21 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Shiny new AZ-EQ6. Bought from FLO, customer return so nice little discount. No signs of use whatsoever and even the boxes were in decent nick.

Awesome set up Craig. Looking forward to more of your planetary images this autumn.

How does it (and you!) cope with the focuser on the inside? Is that just for balance and will you pivot round for observing? 

1 hour ago, MarkRadice said:

Awesome set up Craig. Looking forward to more of your planetary images this autumn.

How does it (and you!) cope with the focuser on the inside? Is that just for balance and will you pivot round for observing? 

Thanks Mark.

I haven’t used it in anger yet, I think I might rotate the scope in the rings so that the Focuser is on the outside so I’m not tripping over the tripod legs.