NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fancy a really big refractor ?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not exactly a grab and go is it.?

And I dread to think of the cool down time on that. If you had one of those in the uk I would think by the time you set it up and it had cooled down then the clouds would of rolled in . Think a scope like this deserves its own dedicated obs , that way it is set up and cooled, already to enjoy that massive aperture of a lovely big refractor ☺

Deserves its own obsy and a serious mount, an ASA DDM160 would be just about OK.

TBH a TEC or CFF 180 / 185 f/7 or 6.9 would be as big as I'd want to go. A DDM85 would carry it just fine.

That will be my new astronomy definition of madness! One day that exercise will result in tears and possibly blood and bruises.

It is easy to forget how big large refractors get. Happen to have my 3" FC-76 set up next to my APM LZOS 180mm triplet today. Please excuse the mess in the background.

IMG_3400.thumb.JPG.0d0354476f5a33da1cd478f53d8b09c0.JPG

17 hours ago, Tim said:

A lesson in how NOT to do it John I reckon!

Definitely!  He won't be doing that for much longer unless he lifts with a straighter back (see 57 seconds in.)

21 minutes ago, AKB said:

Definitely!  He won't be doing that for much longer unless he lifts with a straighter back (see 57 seconds in.)

I reckon his steps will fall off the planks of wood too........

Archived