NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What are your astro plans for the new year and beyond

nightfisher

I had started to feel like calling an end to my astro for reasons posted in another thread, but a shuffle with my kit list, has me rather excited about 2017 and beyond.

I have always been something of a moonhead, so to build on this, i have sold all my scopes and will be getting an Evostar 120ED pro, this has a benefit that its just a tad to heavy for my AZ4 so this mount is going to a new home, thus "pushing" me to use the EQ5 with dual drive, i will set this up and maybe mark the flags so each time i set it up it will be a simple and fast alignment.

I will be concentrating on Luna imaging with A-focal, DSLR prime focus and some higher res with my spc900 to start with and plans to get a better Luna camera like an imaging source or similar.

I also hope to have a dabble with planetary imaging at some stage,  and if i get clear skies with no moon i can always try to find some deep sky objects plus i want to try to image double stars

so into 2017 with a much more positive attitude, what plans do you good people have

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am going to concentrate mainly on sketching things I see rather than trying to see as many things in a night as possible.  That said I have organised my lists and now know where I am up to and will keep them up to date now.

Finally I am keen to do more solar and lunar with binoviewers and my new to me Baader wedge and revitalised pst mod.  Also sketching being a key component.

Best wishes to all.

This has been my first year, kit sorted (well, you know), setup procedures and observing workflow figured out. It's all been great fun.

I am still developing my preferences when it comes to target categories. Definitely Luna, Jupiter and Saturn, and widefield surfing, open clusters. I enjoy hunting fuzzies, but once found one looks rather like another so I don't linger.

Perhaps the Messier Marathon?

:happy11:

I gave up imaging because of the local LP getting worse.

But like a fool, because I still hanker after imaging, I have bought an Atik 383L from a member overseas.
So I'm back in the imaging game when it arrives.

So much fun this astro stuff. :icon_biggrin:

Number one priority is to finish the groundwork around my pier so that I can use my observing chair.Since I posted pictures of the pier and scope, nothing has happened due to the weather,and the ground around the base of the pier is somewhat muddy. 

For 2017 I would like to see the Horsehead Nebula again. The other night with the 12" Dob and a Thousand Oaks H.Beta filter I felt I could see IC434 but no HH - so perhaps a good clear transparent night in early 2017????

I have always wanted to see Omega Centauri so maybe a trip South with my Helios Apollo 15x70.

Of course the big event in 2017 is the Total Solar Eclipse across the United States. I am still talking with my Son who lives in Livermore, just outside San Francisco, about a possible visit and a trip to Oregan to view the Eclipse.

The only possible equipment change is to purchase an 80mm Finderscope - really miss my Stellarvue although I do like my 50mm Lumicon.

Keen to continue exploring and learning about the nature and diversity of nebulae complexes. The contributors in the reports and deep sky observing sections are an inspiring source of information, venturing to dark sky sites and using each of my three scopes n' binoculars whenever possible on various quests, is I feel a highly exciting prospect. I would also love to venture just occasionally into sketching, if I could ease into selective objects and feel that I could commit the time and concentration required and keep my gloves off long enough.  I would also like to see the HH with direct vision, I now feel comfortable at being able to observe it with averted vision.  In terms of equipment, I am not hankering after anything, except perhaps a 4mm DeLite eventually and in due course.  My most recent acquisition has been a Berlebach Report 372 Tripod that I use with my porta mount and 76mm frac, functional high quality, very good dampening and I like the wide 37cm tray for big eyepieces and easy to use and supportive spreader feature. Only problem is if used at home I have to ensure that the rabbits are fenced off in the yard, as they would most definitely want to chew it. 

I'm going to try my hand at plaentary imaging. I've done a bit of that in the past but I've got better OTAs and cameras now. I know the planets are poorly placed but they are for everyone in Northern latittudes, we won't compete (quality wise) with those that see them at the Zenith but it's still a new set of skills to learn. The same kit will suit Lunar imaging so that's something else to play with.

ChrisH

Just get more use out of the kit that I already have. I don't (yet) need another 'scope, and the ones that I do have cover the range from 910 down to 352mm. I just want to get my 80 f/4.4 fully aligned with the ZWO, so I'll have to get a set of short allen keys for the tilt adaptor.

I may have a go at higher surface brightness galaxies, even if they're small, my attempts at M33 have taught me the importance of that.

May splurge on a small Riccardi 0.75 reducer for the Photoline, it'll get the whole of the Leo Triplet on the 694 sensor.

Oh, I nearly forgot. Get my "spare" HEQ5 polar aligned and put the Skymax 180 on it so I can do some, shock-horror, visual while the subs are coming in. Argh! Runs from the light!

Hopefully, this coming year, the main project will be establishing a "clean room" in the obsrvatory basement, constructing a grinding and polishing machine and a Bath interferometer to start work on finishing our pre-generated 42" mirror blank. On a personal note, learn how to post pictures on SGL in case anyone would like to see the progress.  :icon_biggrin:

4 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

Hopefully, this coming year, the main project will be establishing a "clean room" in the obsrvatory basement, constructing a grinding and polishing machine and a Bath interferometer to start work on finishing our pre-generated 42" mirror blank. On a personal note, learn how to post pictures on SGL in case anyone would like to see the progress.  :icon_biggrin:

Good luck with all that, but seeing what you have achieved up there im sure you will manage, posting pics is so easy once you have done it the 1st time, upload to your pc/laptop then when you post at bottom there is a link underlined choose files

Great thread. 

I want to do a good 1st year review to assist other newbies (equipment, expectations, setting up, delving into astrophotography, extra equipment options, basically my 1st year journey pointing out some highlights and errors). 

Then, 2017, I will have my dual motors fitted to eq3-2 and want to improve what I already have imaged; Ring Nebula, dumbell Nebula, Orion Nebula, Flame Nebula, M31, M13, M81 & M82. 

New targets include any planetary Nebula and any fuzzy I stumble across, oh, and keep a journal. 

Clear skies everyone. 

Venus is top of the list for the next few weeks, having not managed to catch it before the conifers intervene.

Uranus with the new Baader 610 filter is also a target for the immediate future.

Jupiter over the first half of the year as well.

Back on the regular Solar imaging train probably around March I guess.

Great thread!

Top of my list is to be more efficient with data processing. Now I have an observatory, gathering data is much easier, but this means my hard drive is stuffed with projects waiting to be turned into complete images. Each project I get round to processing, normally many weeks after sub collection, I learn something from and wish that I had been able to use that learning in subsequent projects that it is now too late to alter!

What I really aspire to achieve in 2017 is to do more with the images that I am making. In 2016 I put together an exhibition of 21 large framed prints with information panels that has been exhibited at four different secondary schools. The reception has far exceeded my expectations and the satisfaction of seeing the students eyes brighten with all the thoughts sparked by the images has been incredibly rewarding. I also self published a book of the images (I think they call that 'vanity publishing'!) and I have already sold over 150 copies - way more than I ever thought possible! So, next year I hope to do even more, ideally becoming involved with science centres around the country to evangelise the Astro message to people far and wide. It's amazing how everyone is fascinated by Astronomy in some way or other, but the pace of modern life means that most people just don't ever turn their attention to such things. I hope to do my little bit to change that!

Happy Christmas to you all and the very best wishes for clear and dark nights throughout 2017.

Working my way through as many Messier objects as I can, ready for an attempt on all 110 of them from 25-29th of March at the Knowledge Observatory, with my little Tak 76.

Also having a look at some of the brighter "easier" objects in Hidden Treasures, Hagrid's Dragon is super, as was NGC 225, some of these objects really are a delight to see, and the satisfaction in finding them manually is rewarding. 

Finally, testing the  patience of a very kind observing friend at Seething, who is doing her very best to help me see Barnard' s 33 in her dob...although I think that's probably "flogging a dead horse" with my eyesight!

Chris

11 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

I also self published a book of the images (I think they call that 'vanity publishing'!) 

Happy Christmas to you all and the very best wishes for clear and dark nights throughout 2017.

I have never heard of "vanity publishing" before, well done to you I would say. Its fantastic that you are spreading the interest to the next generation as well!

Happy Christmas to you as well.

Got enough kit (famous last words!), so......

Keen to put the GPS Module (Xmas gift!) into use, along with the tip of defocusing to get alignment stars more central - all with a view to enjoying really accurate GoTo.

Also - another trip to a dark site to spot more faint objects.  Had one outing to a place nearby, but the frequent traffic and a farmhouse lit up like a lighthouse wrecked it!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Doug.

3 hours ago, iPeace said:

This has been my first year, kit sorted (well, you know), setup procedures and observing workflow figured out. It's all been great fun.

I am still developing my preferences when it comes to target categories. Definitely Luna, Jupiter and Saturn, and widefield surfing, open clusters. I enjoy hunting fuzzies, but once found one looks very like another so I don't linger.

Perhaps the Messier Marathon?

:happy11:

Absolutely well done for getting your kit sorted in your first year of astro!

My plans for next year are to actually do some astro, I had only 5 or 6 noteworthy nights this year - although 1 of them was easily the best night for at least a decade. So, more travel, more bino nights for me.

Best wishes to all.

My main aim next year is to get my pier sorted out and finally nail the imaging techniques I've been struggling with this year.

I'd also like to get the dob out more often, and take it 20 miles up the road to the dark spot we use more than 3 times over the year.

Bring on my 3rd year in this game!

Merry Christmas!

This year I  decided I wouldn't buy any more kit until I'd got better/more use out of what I'd got, weather permitting. Until last week I'd stuck to that.

It makes some sense to do the same for 2017 but its a bit boring being sensible.  Its likely I'll try to sell some kit off that is sitting idle and likely to continue doing so,  and maybe get a 3.5"/4" refractor because thats where my  gut feeling is calling,  Bigger binos are also always just round the corner of my mind and if the right ones come up second hand, who knows. I  had started to do a partial renovation on my Tal1 and I need to get on with it, because apart from being a bit of a lump of scope (which is not necessarily all bad) the optics are really nice and satisfying.

Probably the big change for 2017 is that as of yesterday I have retired! Don't get the pension for a few weeks but thought Xmas was a good time to go. This means that I don't have to think of that 6am start to the following day when the skies are clear so I might get a better chance to do some observing especially when the nights are shorter.  I just need to get out and do more observing, anything, anytime, rather than just wishing, all other factors doing their bit  of course - please.  To all have a good 2017.

Archived