Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Venus with 14" Dob

MarsG76

Hi all,

Last evening I decided to try and image Venus using the new scope. I rarely used the Astrodon UVenus filter in my C8 since I barely go a 50% histogram through it at 2032mm with max gain!! I guess the reason would be due to the corrector plate blocking a lot of the UV spectrum.

There was a thin cloud cover but I was already setup and imaged Venus regardless through the 3X TV Barlow using the DMK21au618, 2500 frames each through the UVenus, Neodymium and IRPass685 filters, stacked best 20% and combined IR Nd UV as RGB. UV was a lot brighter than in C8, but I still had to up the gain.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to do it again, but this time through a clear sky and get more cloud detail in the UV wavelength.

Clear skies,

Mariusz

image.jpeg

Thank you for all of the kind comments, hopefully the next time I image Venus, I'll get a bit more cloud detail. This was taken using the 3X barlow, perhaps I'll attempt it using the 5X Powermate, depends on how much light I'll get in UV. Worst case scenario, I'll image in the same focal length but end up with the V or > structure to be visible more clearly.

I read online that the IS DMK21au618 sensor might not be very sensitive to UV, if thats the case, than the corrector plate on the SCT was not the only obstacle when imaging on the C8 compared to the Dob, but also the CCD is a limiting factor. Either way, I wouldn't be looking for another imaging camera to get more illumination through 1 filter on 1 planet.. more frames I guess.

Thanks for the feedback... Honestly I thought it was soft and mediocre, hopefully due to the clouds... I attempted to reprocess the data for a smoother/less grainy image, but I don't think I can eeek out any more cloud detail in this data... Next time hoping for sharper cloud/UV data.

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, Dave In Vermont said:

As a resident 'Filter-Nut' - I rate that as 'INCREDIBLE!!'

That's hands-down the best shot of Venus I've ever seen! You used the Astrodon UV-Venus filter, yes? I have the older Schuler one - which was bought out by Astrodon.

Yow!

Dave

Thanks for the kind comments everyone... 

I used the Astrodon UVenus filter for the blue channel, the Baader IRPass 685nm filter for the red channel and the Baader Neodymium filter for green.

I'm thinking that perhaps getting sharp detail in the clouds might be a big ask, BUT there is only one way to find out... Try again, and again... I hope I get some good imaging sessions between not and 12 January 2017 to have a fair bit of atmospheric surface ares, than we'll quite quickly be heading toward a crescent Venus.

Here's an older shot from Astrodon showing Venus' clouds that they used as an example. Frankly - yours blows this one into the weeds IMHO:

Venus122808Parker3.jpg

I think it's the combination of filters in the channels you used. I can't wait to see what you come up with in the best atmospheric-conditions.

Lordy!

Dave

31 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Here's an older shot from Astrodon showing Venus' clouds that they used as an example. Frankly - yours blows this one into the weeds IMHO:

Venus122808Parker3.jpg

I think it's the combination of filters in the channels you used. I can't wait to see what you come up with in the best atmospheric-conditions.

Lordy!

Dave

That has heaps more detail in the clouds... I would be stoked with detail like that. 

You had thin-clouds as your 'seeing.' And Astrodon probably had a 24" Dob and a tall ladder! :D

Why do artists always complain about credit being heaped on them? I know - I'm from a whole family of them.  :p Anywho - I like your image better. That's MY story. And I'm stickin' to it! :tongue2:

Now, if you'll pardon me - I must go feed my 'service dog' and hot-wax my long, white cane...

Dave

Archived