Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'uv'.
Found 5 results
I joined the forum to learn more about risks and success of filter removal for UV and IR photography. Back in 2011, one of the group's members, was trying to do just that: Unfortunately Stephen hasn't been active in the group since 2014, but the filter removal appears to have gone well (at least the S3 wasn't killed in the process). I have the same exact camera and I'm looking forward to try the same exact procedure. Does anyone has any tips on how to do this successfully/safely?
I've always wanted to do this modification. But now winter is upon us and the fun stuff is coming out so I finally decided to give it a serious attempt. I picked up a faulty 350D on eBay for £15, tested it and found that the fault was nothing more than a dud battery. I ripped it apart and carefully dismantled the sensor. The coverglass came off very easily with a razor blade. Things were going well until without thinking I went to wipe some of the dust off the surface and hit a gold wire. Ok, so I gritted my teeth, picked up another sensor on eBay for £20...Only this time I cut the razer in half and stuck the two sides down so they covered the amazingly delicate gold wires. Absolutely no problems from then on out. I practised various techniques on the broken sensor and found the wooden tool I made worked best. I used the handle of an old brush and carved it down to a sharp flat blade about 3-4mm across. It took about an hour to completely remove the material. Right now I have the camera in a semi-assembled state for testing. I've taken a few test shots, but without a CF card right now I cannot upload them just yet (That's another eBay order on the way). There is a very thin line of colour on the top and bottom of the images as the razer guides overlapped a bit preventing the removal of a mm or so of the matrix. I don't mind that at all. I can see though I have a bit of cleaning work to do in some places so I'm about to start work on a dustproof glovebox for a second disassembly and cleaning. It's a lot of work but I'm having so much fun.
Hi All, I had another go at imaging Venus through the 14" dob. This time I spotted Venus when the sky was still quite bright and Venus was quite high in the sky. Before imaging I had a look at it through the eye piece and what I saw was amazing, even upto 471X it was crisp and massive in the FOV with a hint of shading near the terminator. I tried it using a 2X powermate and the X-Cel 5mm eyepiece, delivering 660X. The view was only just marginally softer than when using the 7mm LV, so I was quite happy with that, but visibly the disc was only slight larger at 660X vs 471X, so I preferred to view it through the 7mm & 2X PM combo. I imaged Venus through a 3X TV Barlow and the IS DMK618 through the Astrodon UV, Baader IRPass 685nm and a Neodymium/Green filter combo, later combining the stacked videos as RGB (IR NdG UV). I attached the color as well as the UV stacked frame. Thanks for looking. Mariusz
I thought I'd post my image from last month, since we don't see these posted often. So, I shot through a Venus U filter, an Orion Imaging and a 640nm IR-pass, assigning them to B,G,R respectively (and boosting saturation to great levels as the moon is very reflective on all those frequencies). Each of those images was actually a mosaic of 3 subframes made by processing videos shot with an ASI290MM. I used my least sharp OTA, the 130PDS, since I wanted to avoid lenses/correctors for the UV filter. Before I got the mono camera, I had tried one with my color Altair IMX224, but as it is much less sensitive to UV, the UV image was closer to the visible (and noisier), so there was some "extra" curve manipulation (the above is pretty much extreme contrast boost instead) which I would call "cheating", but you can also call "artistic": Same technique otherwise, although the smaller sensor required 4 frames to capture the whole moon. I documented my processing in a blog post if you are curious.
Hi all, Last evening I decided to try and image Venus using the new scope. I rarely used the Astrodon UVenus filter in my C8 since I barely go a 50% histogram through it at 2032mm with max gain!! I guess the reason would be due to the corrector plate blocking a lot of the UV spectrum. There was a thin cloud cover but I was already setup and imaged Venus regardless through the 3X TV Barlow using the DMK21au618, 2500 frames each through the UVenus, Neodymium and IRPass685 filters, stacked best 20% and combined IR Nd UV as RGB. UV was a lot brighter than in C8, but I still had to up the gain. Hopefully I'll get a chance to do it again, but this time through a clear sky and get more cloud detail in the UV wavelength. Clear skies, Mariusz