NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Shocked by result!

miguel87

So after fitting a RA motor drive to my eq5 to observe planets at high magnification without constantly turning the slow motion controls; we set out to our local spot last nighy ti give it a try.

Gawping at m42 was so much easier without having to worry about tracking the object. It just hung tgere beautifully right in the middle of the eyepiece! Why had i never bought a motor before?!

So the though occurred to me that i could try to take a photo with mu cheap pentax camera attached to my skywatcher 200p. I had previously written off astrophotography because i am very aware that my equipment is not suited to it.

So with my 200p, eq5, cheap pentax camera, rough visual polar alignment, no guide scope, and no idea what i was doing i tried a 12 second exposure.

I was not expecting anything!post-19155-0-64523000-1453281851_thumb.j

Now i know this is relatively poor but i honestly had thought that nothing was possible with my equpment.

Mike

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, well done!

I know almost everyone knocks the EQ5 but while it may not be the most capable with a 200p on it, it can, on occasions do some good things.

Welcome to the dark side! (Stacking software, processing software, intervalometers or laptops and control software, all sorts of fun to be had now.)

OK so you've done a bit of imaging, dabbled a bit, It was fun, you can handle it and walk away without any problem.  You might go back for a bit more but you reckon you'll know when to stop.  

That's just how it starts, you've been warned!

Now put it in the first DSO thread, it's a cracker.

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2016 at 09:26, miguel87 said:

So after fitting a RA motor drive to my eq5 to observe planets at high magnification without constantly turning the slow motion controls; we set out to our local spot last nighy ti give it a try.

Gawping at m42 was so much easier without having to worry about tracking the object. It just hung tgere beautifully right in the middle of the eyepiece! Why had i never bought a motor before?!

So the though occurred to me that i could try to take a photo with mu cheap pentax camera attached to my skywatcher 200p. I had previously written off astrophotography because i am very aware that my equipment is not suited to it.

So with my 200p, eq5, cheap pentax camera, rough visual polar alignment, no guide scope, and no idea what i was doing i tried a 12 second exposure.

I was not expecting anything!post-19155-0-64523000-1453281851_thumb.j

Now i know this is relatively poor but i honestly had thought that nothing was possible with my equpment.

Mike

Yup you have sinned i`am sure you have looked at dslr`s by now then t-ring ,it won`t stop you know ,then the wife will say what have you got now you had a delivery last week ,you have been warned lols

Archived