Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging with the 130pds

Russe

Hi,

I was out last night giving my new 130PDS its first light, using my unmodded Canon 700D. Had a few problems stacking (discussed in another thread) but have come up with some pleasing images. This is nowhere near the limit of what DSLRs can do, but it's not bad for a comparative beginner with his first newt.

You'll get pinpoint stars ok as long as your polar alignment and guiding are good, and you use a coma corrector. I used the SW own make 0.9 one, which takes the scope to F4.5. For guiding I got an adaptor from Modern Astronomy which allows one to use, in my case, an Orion Starshoot autoguider with a standard SW 9x50 finderscope with excellent results.

Anyway, here are my first light results from last night:

Wow! That looks great!! :)

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, you guys are really getting on well with these little newts, im on my second one and cant even get it to focus a 1.25 ep (just like the last one)

I had similar, found that I needed an extension that was half way between the provided  extension piece and just using the 2" to 1.25" adapter. Got the length by extending the focuser as far as it would go (without the extension piece) then undoing the locking screw on the EP and moved it back a bit.

I had similar, found that I needed an extension that was half way between the provided extension piece and just using the 2" to 1.25" adapter. Got the length by extending the focuser as far as it would go (without the extension piece) then undoing the locking screw on the EP and moved it back a bit.

Weird.. not had a problem focusing mine - except in dodgy conditions!

What eyepiece(s) have you tried?

I've got a 1.25" BST Explorer ED (f=12.5mm), and just use the 2" -> 1.25" adaptor.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Wow, you guys are really getting on well with these little newts, im on my second one and cant even get it to focus a 1.25 ep (just like the last one)

Have you tried an extension peice?

Sure I read that else where where a member was using an eye piece they needed a 2 inch extension.

i made a post here when i tried to use the 28mm 2" eyepiece and couldn't focus. Louise told that it was needed to use the supplied 2" extension tube to focus it, and then it  was ok.with the 1.25" eypieces i had no problems focusing at all, just used it with the 1.25" adapter and without the extension tube. there is a picture of it in a post i made in this topic. here is the link:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/210593-imaging-with-the-130pds/?view=findpost&p=2600440

Edited by Atreta

• 2 weeks later...

Rob: I note you can see the Milky Way - at least sometimes! I don't think I've seen it since I was a child! Maybe one day...

Only around the zenith, it presents itself as a misty patch/streak. On nights like those I know my data will be good, in fact it was so good last night I havent used any flats for the Tulip (naughty me!). No such luck tonight, its looking a little soupy as the jetstream is bang over us at the mo. So ive decided not to set up as that would only serve to damage the image.

Only around the zenith, it presents itself as a misty patch/streak. On nights like those I know my data will be good, in fact it was so good last night I havent used any flats for the Tulip (naughty me!). No such luck tonight, its looking a little soupy as the jetstream is bang over us at the mo. So ive decided not to set up as that would only serve to damage the image.

Well a misty patch is better than nothing! My neighbour just came back from a trip to South Africa. He visited the Karoo - many miles from any artificial light. Of course, what he saw in the heavens was amazing. He said he thought of me. Very thoughtful of him! Still, I have to make do with pictures :(

Cheers

Louise

• 2 weeks later...

Pokey pokey! :D

Keepin' the flag flying for the 130:

20229963234_3f26b32630_c.jpg

On a side note, its quite interesting what you get when you type "130pds" into Google and click the images tab :) a lot more astro images than there used to be!

That's a real beauty! Looking forward to testing my recently bought 150PDS, even if I'm disqualified from this thread :)

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

• Like 4