Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

VENUS IN THE PLEIADES TONIGHT - DON'T MISS IT !!

What a glorious sight! Lucky here with the clouds parting before Venus dipped below the roof. A lovely almost half phase of bright Venus against a spangle of stars. 30mm eyepiece in the Tak gave the best widefield view.  Stunning.  
Binoculars view not bad either with the familiar Pleiades shape plus their new arrival.

Lovely 

• Like 3

Best views of the Venus - M45 conjunction for me were with the 11x70 binoculars and the Vixen with a 40mm SWA eyeiece in it. Both giving around 4 degrees of true field. Interesting to count the Pleiades stars in both instruments :smiley:

Naked eye was nice too but Venus drowned out all but the brightest Pleiades stars.

Lovely, lovely sight :thumbright:

• Like 3

Finished for the evening here. Mixed up the views, trying the Leica Zoom for a closer view of Venus. Managed to get it framed beautifully with the Alcyone quadruple and the trail of stars starting at HD23609. Venus was really cleanly resolved, lovely clear phase. Then I tried the 40mm to give a wider field of view at 3.7 degrees which framed the whole scene better I think.

Lastly I had a look at it through the 8x42 binos, very nice to get different perspectives on this lovely conjunction.

• Like 2

I've looked out several times this evening, but could only see Venus through the clouds. Decided to process some image data instead of waiting outside for a clear spell, so with Venus now setting it looks like I've missed out on this event 🙁

Still quite clear here - I must have got lucky tonight.

Venus has dropped behind the trees to the W now so I'm on the moon for a while. Seeing is great - 400x is sharp. I'll have a go at comet Y4 Atlas soon.

I noticed this post earlier and so kept half an eye on the weather. It was ok so for the first time in 2 or 3 weeks I got a scope out

The view was good in the 72mm refractor so I quickly upgraded to a 102mm.

A great sight, I've never seen a planet go past a cluster before and it's the first time this time around I've seen Venus less than half phase.

I also had a go at the moon which was looking great.

• Like 3

Hooray, managed some views last night, cloud dodging also.  First view at 8.12 pm, very nice with bluish sky and Venus not yet  overwhelming and  the crescent was so nice amongst the stars - only main stars visible at this time, a beautiful picture.  Lovely in the SW 120ED with Hyperion 24mm.  Views on and off until 9.42 in the observatory until it became 100% cloud so I started to pack up.  I did have some views in darkness with no cloud several times which were absolutely stunning, When packing up at 10.15 some small gaps in the cloud low down and I managed some more views with my 10x50 Nikon binoculars - an excellent end to a nice evening.

Very pleased so many others have had some good views.

• Like 4