Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGL 2019 SP - Bookings Open!

Grant

SGL 2019 SP

31st Oct - 7th Nov 2019 

Main Days Friday 1st & Saturday 2nd.

Lucksall Caravan & Camping Park, Herefordshire (http://www.lucksallpark.co.uk/)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Star Party

We are excited to launch this years SGL star party. Last year, despite the weather, was the most successful yet with the marquee providing a central hub that brought everyone together. There was fun, there was laughter, plenty of local beer and cider and lots of wind! Hopefully this year we will see a few more stars but even if the weather lets us down, we are sure it will be another great event.

More details will be announced over the coming weeks but, for now, please see below info booking info and food options. 

Lucksall are making some changes to the park this year. The grassy long meadow has been made into proper pitches with electric hookups. If you are staying in a tent for only 2-3 nights you will probably be in this area, which is also hopefully where the marquee will be. We don't know exactly how things will stand as Lucksall are still working on some changes but they assure us everything possible will be done to minimise any local lights . We will also contact any local residents and provide the usual flyers / posters to other campers on the site, encouraging them to use red torches and reduce lighting where possible.

Booking Information

This year all bookings INCLUDING PODs are being handled via the First Light Optics website. Please do not attempt to book directly with Lucksall as this will likely result in confusion.

The marquee was clearly a success last year so this year we plan to make it larger and have heating. To cover the additional costs we have added only £1 per night to the pitch prices :)

PODs

If you would like to book a Pod, please contact me (Grant) first to reserve one. Pods are limited so need to be assigned prior to you making your booking / payment.

Tents / Caravans

There are no longer non-electric pitches available (last year only one was booked so this year everything is electric).

To book your pitch please do so here: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sgl-sp-booking/sgl-2019-sp-pitch-booking.html

Food

Food can be booked together with your pitch booking or separately closer to the dates. I will send out reminders nearer the time and let you know cut off points. When you book the food, as long as it's under the same name / email address as your pitch booking, it will all be joined together and food tickets will be in your welcome pack at arrival.

Friday night is our traditional curry and quiz night. Please book your curry here: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sgl-sp-booking/sgl-2019-sp-food-friday-curry.html

Saturday night is hog roast night. Please book your hog roast here: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sgl-sp-booking/sgl-2019-sp-food-saturday-hogroast.html

Sunday we will have a Sunday roast at the cafe. Please book your Sunday roast here: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sgl-sp-booking/sgl-2019-sp-food-sunday-roast.html Nearer the time, we will ask people to choose a specific 'sitting' to help the cafe prepare the roast in tables. This worked well last year.

Volunteers

If you would like to help with the organisation of the star party or volunteer to run a workshop/talk please get in touch. Some tasks aren't glamorous but really make a big difference to the smooth running of the weekend. I.e. a quick tidy-up of the tea / coffee area or helping to arrange chairs is a big help and very much appreciated.

Booked an electric pod for the Friday and Saturday nights so my dear lady wife is happy she'll stay warm and comfortable no matter the weather! Thanks for organising my booking Grant!

We've just booked Friday-Wednesday - what dirty stop-outs we are! Woo hoo!!! 😃

My dad is lending us his caravan again. I've paid to pitch the awning too, but if there is anyone tall who can spare 10 minutes to help us put the struts up for it, I'd be grateful. We usually manage this no problem, but my dad dislocated his shoulder and has limited movement, and Ian and I are short-a*ses who can't reach up high enough without a step ladder! 😳

(Ian's just told me not to be such a wuss - we'll take steps!)

Edited by lulu57
the shame of being called a wuss!

13 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

Booked to arrive on Friday and leave on Tuesday. Really looking forward to this lovely event, whatever the weather... but please can we have less water this year!

A little less wind than last year would be preferable too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, lulu57 said:

We've just booked Friday-Wednesday - what dirty stop-outs we are! Woo hoo!!! 😃

My dad is lending us his caravan again. I've paid to pitch the awning too, but if there is anyone tall who can spare 10 minutes to help us put the struts up for it, I'd be grateful. We usually manage this no problem, but my dad dislocated his shoulder and has limited movement, and Ian and I are short-a*ses who can't reach up high enough without a step ladder! 😳

(Ian's just told me not to be such a wuss - we'll take steps!)

I was going to volunteer my height but still need to buy an awning as I tore the last one at last years SP so probably not the best qualified to help 🤣

(In my defence the awning was older than me, and damp!)

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

All booked up too, very much looking forward to it this year. Also, let me throw my name (and Becks') in for any volunteering - especially dogsbody stuff. If you need clearing, tidying, help with the marquee, we're all over it. 

Cheers
Will

• Like 4

On the subject of helping...

I would be happy to give a talk / workshop on anything to do with imaging, including capture and/or processing, in the areas of deep sky, or solar, or a bit of wide field, or maybe time lapse or even a touch of planetary. I could also talk about taking Astronomy GCSE in later life, if that would be interesting. Anyway, my hand is up should their be an interest in something that I can share my experiences in, good and bad!

As for talks I would like to attend - something about spectroscopy for beginners and radio astronomy for beginners would be great, please!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, PhotoGav said:

On the subject of helping...

I would be happy to give a talk / workshop on anything to do with imaging, including capture and/or processing, in the areas of deep sky, or solar, or a bit of wide field, or maybe time lapse or even a touch of planetary. I could also talk about taking Astronomy GCSE in later life, if that would be interesting. Anyway, my hand is up should their be an interest in something that I can share my experiences in, good and bad!

As for talks I would like to attend - something about spectroscopy for beginners and radio astronomy for beginners would be great, please!

I for one would be very interested in hearing more about capture/processing, and the radio astronomy would be interesting I agree.

15 hours ago, PhotoGav said:

11 hours ago, upahill said:

radio astronomy would be interesting I agree.

44 minutes ago, Jonk said:

+1 for radio, maybe not the top end stuff but maybe something on the basic homemade stuff?

I have a member of Herefordshire Astro Society who is very knowledgeable on Radio Astronomy. I will chat with @Grantplus others downstairs and see what I can arrange.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1