NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SGL 2019 SP - Bookings Open!

Grant

12 minutes ago, Jonk said:

Do you atill have the 4" f11 Ade?

It'll be odd to see it again but fun nonetheless!

Hi Jon,

I do still have it and will think about bringing it along, it'll be nice to see you again.

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

I'm trying to book for the Saturday but cant see the option for electric hook up? Are they all sold out?

Not sure if there are any pitches without electric hook ups, there was some talk of all pitches having them.

Dave

2 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Not sure if there are any pitches without electric hook ups, there was some talk of all pitches having them.

Dave

Thanks, your correct. I've just re-read the first page:

There are no longer non-electric pitches available (last year only one was booked so this year everything is electric).

• 3 weeks later...

I have just booked for Friday till Monday. I am a real newbie, only had a scope for about 2 years so I cannot engage in any riveting Astro stuff but really want to meet some of you so please be gentle with a SGL Virgin 🙂 

P.S. This is really out of my comfort zone  as I do not  hold conversation easily so hope all will go well on my first outing 🙂 

Steve

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

I have just booked for Friday till Monday. I am a real newbie, only had a scope for about 2 years so I cannot engage in any riveting Astro stuff but really want to meet some of you so please be gentle with a SGL Virgin 🙂 

P.S. This is really out of my comfort zone  as I do not  hold conversation easily so hope all will go well on my first outing 🙂 

Steve

Hi Steve,

Was our first year last year, at any star party, everyone was very gentle with us 😄 Weather wasn't great for stargazing but I highly recommend turning up for the quiz (hopefully the bar will in the tent again too ;) )

There were some great talks too, learnt quite a bit over the few days. You will have a great time and the camp site is great. I am a bit of a social introvert myself and found it all very relaxed and welcoming.

The curry and hog roast were pretty good too, so worth getting tickets for that if you havent already. 👍

Edited by upahill
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Steve

You will be very welcome Steve. SGLSP is a very relaxed atmosphere, people are very helpful and friendly and your level of experience really is irrelevant; everyone is just keen to share their enjoyment of the hobby.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, upahill said:

Hi Steve,

Was our first year last year, at any star party, everyone was very gentle with us 😄 Weather wasn't great for stargazing but I highly recommend turning up for the quiz (hopefully the bar will in the tent again too ;) )

There were some great talks too, learnt quite a bit over the few days. You will have a great time and the camp site is great. I am a bit of a social introvert myself and found it all very relaxed and welcoming.

The curry and hog roast were pretty good too, so worth getting tickets for that if you havent already. 👍

20 minutes ago, Stu said:

You will be very welcome Steve. SGLSP is a very relaxed atmosphere, people are very helpful and friendly and your level of experience really is irrelevant; everyone is just keen to share their enjoyment of the hobby.

Thanks, I am sure it will be great and really looking forward to it. It will be good just from the sociable aspect but also hope to gain some experience from those more knowledgeable as often first hand guidance is worth a thousand words from a book or internet 🙂  

I have booked the curry,  hog roast and Sunday roast too 🙂 

Steve

• Like 2

I have booked to arrive Friday but can only pick the hired campervan up around 2:30 PM so best will in the world would not get down until around 6:00 PM. Is that too late really, what time is the curry?

My only other option is to book the Thursday as well (if pitches still available) but it is quite a bit more expense to do this.

Steve

3 hours ago, fwm891 said:

As a local (Hereford) can I come along without having to book a pitch etc...

Might be worth emailing a mod, I know some camp sites get funny about "non-residents" especially as SGL doesnt have the site exclusively.

Other than that how are your ninja skills? 🤣

We thought about driving home each night as only in Monmouth but its a nice excuse to get the caravan out and not have to take it far. You could always pitch a £10 tent and drive home each night.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fwm891 said:

As a local (Hereford) can I come along without having to book a pitch etc...

I saw Francis tonight and explained the arrangements. All cars must be registered with Lucksall Reception to get through the barrier. In addition it is essential to park away from the main observing field to avoid turning on headlights when leaving.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are thinking of coming, we still have good space for caravans and tents 🙂

I will begin sending out details of pitch allocations in the next couple of weeks.

Pods have all gone now.

We will also be announcing our exciting program for the weekend with some very special guest speakers and attractions! :biggrin:

• Like 4

Really looking forward to this after last years abandonment!!! And the wife should be happy as we have a cosy pod booked 😃

The only potential snag is that with the Friday being 'End of Month' she will likely be stuck in work late that day and I don't want to be turning up after dark =P I will have to speak with her to see if she can get some cover for the afternoon so we can arrive in good time for setting up in daylight, quiz and drinks!

@Grant Similar to @teoria_del_big_bang's situation is there a contingency for anyone turning up after dark on the Friday?!

• Like 1

On 07/09/2019 at 11:39, robbymain said:

The only potential snag is that with the Friday being 'End of Month' she will likely be stuck in work late that day and I don't want to be turning up after dark =P I will have to speak with her to see if she can get some cover for the afternoon so we can arrive in good time for setting up in daylight, quiz and drinks!

Problem solved - she will be at work late on the Thursday but not the Fri so I plan to turn up mid-afternoon nice and early 😃

• Like 1

On 06/09/2019 at 16:28, Grant said:

If you are thinking of coming, we still have good space for caravans and tents 🙂

I will begin sending out details of pitch allocations in the next couple of weeks.

Pods have all gone now.

We will also be announcing our exciting program for the weekend with some very special guest speakers and attractions! :biggrin:

Have the non- EH  beach huts all gone too ??

On 07/09/2019 at 11:39, robbymain said:

Really looking forward to this after last years abandonment!!! And the wife should be happy as we have a cosy pod booked 😃

@Grant Similar to @teoria_del_big_bang's situation is there a contingency for anyone turning up after dark on the Friday?!

If you are arriving late, please let Lucksall know. If you are in a POD they will either make arrangements for you to collect the key later or, let me know and I'm sure an admin or mod can help pick the key up for you.

If you are arriving late and camping, ideally, arrive before dark just in case it is clear.

If you really, really need to arrive after dark then let us know and we can walk you down with your lights switched off if it is clear to avoid ruining everybodies night vision :)

• Thanks 1