SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which eyepiece have you had the longest

djpaul

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nagler T5 31mm. I don't use it all that much (Ethos 21 usually gets preference) but I know that I'd miss it if it was gone.

I can't recall how long I've had the N31 - maybe 6-7 years ?

It's definitely a keeper - I didn't pay all that much for it compared to what it would cost today.

Not an eyepiece, per se, but my Celestron Ultima barlow was the first piece of separate astro equipment I ever bought after getting my first scope in 2000. Still with me and not going anywhere.

Ironically, the two eyepieces in my current stable that I’ve had the longest are the 10mm and 6mm Ethos - both of which I’m considering letting go. Times and preferences change...

9mm Vixen LV bought in 1997.  Great eyepiece that struggles a bit with throughput.  I bought it before my first telescope to try using a 500mm telephoto lens I already had as a telescope.  It wasn't too bad, though it had practically no back focus, so straight through viewing was the only option.  That success when viewing the Trapezium through it convinced me to get my first telescope.

My oldest is the 25mm plossl that came with my ST120 but the one I would keep the longest is a tough question... I like my 22mm Nagler most but it's only used with my vx14, probably the 17.3mm or 12mm or 10mm Delos as they all go with any scope.

22mm Nagler, bought from Telescope House when they were still in Faringdon Road ... those were the days - along with my 12.5 inch Starfinder ‘Sonotube’ Dob. The Dob’s long gone to the big toilet roll factory in the sky but I still have the eyepiece and it performs very well. Actually, apart from the  rudimentary cell and focuser and crude mechanics generally, that scope wasn’t at all bad optically - the mirror was good and it gave me some great viewing once it had settled down. Telescope House loaned me the Nag and a 24mm Panoptic to compare. I chose the Nag. Can’t remember why but, despite the excellence of the Pans, can’t say I regret the decision.

Just to explain the reference in my previous post to where my old Meade tube ended up - for anyone not familiar with the white paper clad  ‘sonotube’ used in the early Starfinders, it was made of wound paper. I think it was also used for concrete formers. Judging by the weight of the 12.5 inch OTA, they might have left some concrete inside mine. Its glossy, white paper livery was described by Meade as ‘inspiring a real pride in ownership’ ?, or similar wording. Actually the tube material performed well and had good thermal characteristics, but its significant girth combined with its weight and slippery finish made it awkward to lug around. 

Archived