SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which eyepiece have you had the longest

djpaul

4 minutes ago, N3ptune said:

My Xcel LX 18mm resists the test of time so far, I think it's a keeper. Probably until I try a Televue someday, against Explore Scientific the 18mm is still standing.

Forget Televue.  I have a 17mm Nagler T4 and the 17mm ES-92 blows it away in every respect.  Of course, it is a massive eyepiece, so make sure to have a sturdy focuser that doesn't slip or tilt.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 25/09/2018 at 22:01, Louis D said:

Forget Televue.  I have a 17mm Nagler T4 and the 17mm ES-92 blows it away in every respect.  Of course, it is a massive eyepiece, so make sure to have a sturdy focuser that doesn't slip or tilt.

Forget Televue, hehehe no problems :p

I had in mind the Panoptic line or the Delites, these are the only lines I would be interested to own eventually honestly. Probably both would beat the Xcel LX. 

10 minutes ago, N3ptune said:

Forget Televue, hehehe no problems :p

I had in mind the Panoptic line or the Delites, these are the only lines I would be interested to own eventually honestly. Probably both would beat the Xcel LX. 

The Panoptic are excellent performers as are the Delites.  At 9mm and below, the differences would be contained to the level of polish difference between the Delites and the Xcel LXs, yielding less scatter and thus greater contrast in the former.  Correction across the field is very similar.

It's a matter of spending top dollars to reach the last % of performance. I  can spend a couple more years with the Xcel LX 18 and 9 has well has the Starguider 12mm for sure. (Delites and Panoptic will wait until there is a golden opportunity only) ?

4 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

We seem to be drifting of target...

The original OP was to just say which eyepiece has been with you the longest, not a comparison study of eyepieces......

I keep thinking about the related question: "Which eyepiece have you had the longest that is most definitely not a keeper, but you keep it anyway for sentimental or other reasons?"  My answer to that would be my 38mm Rini MPL.  It is made from singly or uncoated surplus lenses, is housed in PVC parts, and produces a barely acceptable image outside the middle 50%.  Yet I keep it because it was my first 2" near-widest field eyepiece that I used for years to good effect until I could afford better eyepieces.  I couldn't bear to part with it because of all the good memories I made looking through it as I was starting out.  Just looking at that eyepiece helps bring back some of those formative memories.

On 21/09/2018 at 19:04, John said:

Nagler T5 31mm. I don't use it all that much (Ethos 21 usually gets preference) but I know that I'd miss it if it was gone.

I can't recall how long I've had the N31 - maybe 6-7 years ?

It's definitely a keeper - I didn't pay all that much for it compared to what it would cost today.

Actually I was wrong with the above.

I have realised since I posted it that I still have the original eyepieces that came with my 1960's Tasco 60mm F/13 refractor which comprise of 20mm, 12.5mm and 6mm achromatic hygenians and a non-achromatic 2x barlow lens, all in the .965 inch fitting. Whoopee !!! :smiley:

FWIW I'm sure the Tasco 12.5mm will "blow away" both the 12mm T4 Nagler and the 12 ES 92 degrees as well ........... :grin:

tasco_meade_eps1.jpg.e26413799469de48db95bc865b49500e.jpg

On 22/09/2018 at 13:02, mikeDnight said:

A pair of 16.8mm Super Abbe Orthoscopics. Cheap as chips and I'll never part with them, as when they are in my barlowed binoviewer, they will best some of the finest mono eyepieces going. They never disappoint!

I too have the 16.8 Ortho just like yours, bought in a set of 4 for just over £100, and marketed by Kson who do not currently seem to be active.  I am not a great fan of orthos as I prefer widefields and good eye relief.

Archived