SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which eyepiece have you had the longest

djpaul

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Celestron 10 and 25(??)mm that came with my very first scope. Have naturally been with me the longest, but know I will never ever EVER bother looking through them ever again. Not that they’re terrible... they did the job, but I have significantly better replacements in my arsenal now.

3 hours ago, Joves said:

Must add, I upgraded from these to the entire Ethos lineup. A fairly significant upgrade. To answer the second part of the question, the Ethos will remain with me forever, I imagine.

Wow - that qualifies for best eyepiece upgrade of all time. Amazing collection of astronomy gear you have Joves.

I have a collection of smooth sided TV Plossls (That safety recess on today's eyepieces is the Devil's work - should be banned!!!!) from the early 1980's.

Those and my Ziess 6mm Monocentric have been in my box ever since.

Why change???

I forgot to add this one earlier...

cropIMG_0386.jpg.c91450af54af870709286c710e543243.jpg

It is a brass RAS e/p in a 1.25" adaptor made for me by Beacon Hill Telescopes. I have had it for twenty years, though the eyepiece itself is older, (i.e. late 19th/early 20th century). 

I only have one rock solid keeper but it isn't one I've had the longest. It's the 13mm Ethos I bought from Moonshane. My oldest is probably a 3.8 Nagler bought second hand 17 years ago. It's great - but not in the 14 inch Meade SCT which is now the default visual scope!

Olly

I'm a relative newby compared some here, but I've had my Revelation 32mm plossl for  6 years, almost since my re-launch into astronomy began. Its not the best, or the worst EP in the world but its serves its purpose as a finder EP and I can't see any good reason to replace it.

I’m a relative newbie but my longest serving eyepiece is my 6mm BGO. I agonised over what eyepiece to buy for planetary use and couldn’t believe my luck when I got a response to my wanted ad. It’s survived the transition to a dob and in many ways inspired the purchase of 5 more orthos since! They’re unbeatable when it comes to sharpness and contrast. 

2 hours ago, andrew63 said:

Clearing out the shed, I came across this today. It's a 18mm Ramsden eyepiece with a lovely brass holder.  Not been used for a while as you can see - probably around 1980.

andrew

IMG_0317.JPG

Hopefully it gets a good cleaning for a chance at a new life. ?

Seeing that Andrew reminded me that the 18mm Circle T ortho is not my longest serving eyepiece, it is this barlow type 1" eyepiece which is almost 4 decades older !

I used it in a homemade 6" reflector in 1974. It remained my only eyepiece for many years. The inner tube with the negative lens had to be slid inside the main tube to increase magnification, and I never new what power I was using. It did not seem to matter then, but it showed me The Moon , Jupiter and Saturn to my complete satisfaction. I suspect it came from Fullerscopes but I do not remember.

2 hours ago, andrew63 said:

Clearing out the shed, I came across this today. It's a 18mm Ramsden eyepiece with a lovely brass holder.  Not been used for a while as you can see - probably around 1980.

andrew

IMG_0317.JPG

STA_0624.JPG

STB_0625.JPG

STC_0626.JPG

STD_0627.JPG

STE_0628.JPG

15mm BST for six months so far.....? !!   Its the first EP I have ever bought and the way things are going right now, it may be the last for a while ?

The good thing is, it goes great with my ST80 and sits in the diagonal almost all the time....

Archived