Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Hello everyone. I've been lurking here for a while, thought I'd sign up and say hello. My name's Tom, I am serious but you can call me Shirley if you like.

I've had a telescope (skywatcher 150 dob) for about 7 years, it saw some use before I went to university to study physics, but I left it at home. (Naively thought there wouldn't be a great deal to see from the city.) It hadn't seen much use since, until January this year when I took it out under a nearly full moon to show my then lass the Orion neb and the Andromeda galaxy. Since then I must've been making up lost time because I've been out in the garden almost every clear night, and I've found my collection of astro bits and bobs has been growing at an alarming rate.

So I think it's about time I dropped by to say Hi :)

Hello Tom, welcome to SGL. Come over and see us some Saturday evening at the Astronomy Centre.   :icon_biggrin:

Welcome to SGL Tom (Shirley) ? there’s loads of great info on this forum hope you enjoy

25 minutes ago, shirley_you_cant_be_sirius said:

Hello everyone. I've been lurking here for a while, thought I'd sign up and say hello. My name's Tom, I am serious but you can call me Shirley if you like.

I've had a telescope (skywatcher 150 dob) for about 7 years, it saw some use before I went to university to study physics, but I left it at home. (Naively thought there wouldn't be a great deal to see from the city.) It hadn't seen much use since, until January this year when I took it out under a nearly full moon to show my then lass the Orion neb and the Andromeda galaxy. Since then I must've been making up lost time because I've been out in the garden almost every clear night, and I've found my collection of astro bits and bobs has been growing at an alarming rate.

Yorkshire is a big place, we are WADAS, Wakefield area

Warm welcome indeed and quite an active forum apparently! Thanks everybody, I'm looking forward to spending a fair few cloudy nights here. (Not quite as much as I'm looking forward to some clear nights after this stretch of weather though!)

Peter Drew I shall have to make my way over one Saturday!

2STAR Fair point; I'm in Whitby, North Yorkshire. So I suppose our local astro societies share an acronym ?

warm welcome shirley im making my first visit to the astronomy centre on saturday next week may see you there some time

5 hours ago, shirley_you_cant_be_sirius said:

Hi Tom,

Great name, and welcome to the forum. Like you, I've been lurking here for ages, but I decided to get stuck in a couple of days ago and I've already been helped by some great people and sorted out a problem that's been driving me nuts.

Very best wishes,

Barry

Hi, Tom, and welcome to SGL. Glad you have been getting some clear skies- just trying to remember what one of those looks like :icon_biggrin:

Hello Tom, welcome to SGL.

Hey, the weather in Yorkshire can only get better ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tomato said:

Hello Tom, welcome to SGL.

Hey, the weather in Yorkshire can only get better ?

Logic dictates that to be true, but sometimes I wonder. Still I live in hope 

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Andy Cole
      Hi all
      I'm a newbie here but not totally new to astronomy. I've had a telescope since I was a teenager (over 30 years!) and only ever had 1 telescope - a Tasco 40x40mm reflector. I expect members my age are familiar with it - thin and white with a thin metal tripod and a push and pull focuser.  It's still functional at more than 30 years old although the thread on the eyepiece is worn so the eyepiece falls off regularly! I've only ever used it to look at the moon, Jupiter and Saturn and that's always been good enough for me.  Now I have been thinking of getting a new scope. I have a very limited budget and so I am wondering whether I will get any significant improvements on what I can see.
      My earliest memories of the Tasco from childhood were that I could see the rings of Saturn as a line across the circle of the planet.  Having rekindled my interest in the last few years, I have started to use it again, and nowadays, when Saturn is visible, I can clearly see the rings 'as a ring' and the gap between the planet and the rings, which I don't remember seeing as a kid. 
      Vieing Jupiter I can usually see about 4 moons.
      I've heard that the Skywatcher Heritage 130P Dobsonian is a good 'budget' telescope, and great for casual use, which is what appeals to me most.  I don't want a telescope with complicated setup or one that takes up a lot of space.  TheSkywatcher seems to fit the bill, and it also fits my very limited budget.
      What I am most interested to find out is whill I get an improved view of the things I have already experienced?  I have read some reviews that describe what you can see with this scope and it sounds like it's pretty much what I can already see. And it's maximum 65x magnification doesn't seem like much better than the Tasco's 40x. But will the wider aperture make a bigger difference than the magnification?
      I'm also interested to know if I could use this scope for basic astrophotography - I have numerous cameras - phone cameras, compacts and DSLR's (photohraphy is my main hobby).  I'm not talking about hour long exposures of dark sky objects, just what can be seen easily through this scope.
      I'd love to know what people's opinions are, especially if you own or have used this scope.  I'm also interested to hear recommendations for other scopes, but please remember I have limited budget and space.  I know that an 8" or more is better and I would love one but they are just too expensive and too large for me.
      Cheers
      Andy
    • By Matty_C
      Hello all,
      I have just joined and have been looking around, and putting in various searches to find the answer to my question(s).
      I have already found some valuable information, but i can't find a specific answer to a question i have relating to exposure times.
      I have shot the milky way several times before, from a tripod and a wide angle lens. I am aware of and understand the "500 rule" and that worked fine for me at first when i was shooting with my Canon 6D Mark II. When i moved over to the Sony A7III i noticed significant trailing using the same rule and that led me to the NPF rule (Via the photopills app incase people dot know).
      I am heading back to Tenerife once again in about 6 weeks time and want to buy a star tracker so i can get some really detailed images.
      I have done a fair bit of research and in principle, the whole thing doesn't seem to be too daunting or difficult.
      I have purchased the Polar Scope Align Pro app so i can align Polaris as accurately as possible, i will practise putting the unit together and familiarising myself with the different parts etc, but it is the exposure times that i do not understand.
      My best glass is the Carl Ziess 50mm F/1.4 Planar, the 18mm F/2.8 Batis, the Sigma 35mm F/1.4 Art & the IRIX 15mm F/2.4 Blackstone.
      I currently do not own, nor have i ever used a tracker, and I cannot find any information relating to which aperture, ISO and Shutter length any of these focal lengths should or could be shot at.
      Is there anything similar to the 500 rule or NPF rule that relates to using a tracker with varied focal lengths? or is it just a case of stepping the lens down for sharpness and then trial and error?
      Thanks in advance,

Matt.

• By RiponJas
      Hi all.. 
      New to astronomy,  bought my son a cheap telescope for Xmas and have enjoyed viewing with him so just bought myself a 250mm dob. Pleased to say it arrived today so started off with a bit of moon viewing.  Must admit I've had a lovely evening! 
      Can see me investing quite a bit of time and money into this. Look forward to hearing from some of you members as time goes on. 
      Jas
    • By Ste297
      Hi I am very new to this and looking to buy my first telescope I dint have a very big budget and looking at a secondhand scope at first. I have come across this on eBay and was wondering what people think of it 
      A Saxon 130 reflector telescope  on an EQ2 mount and has motor drive it comes with 1.5x erecting eyepiece and a Super 10mm eyepiece

Thanks in advance 

Ste
    • By Girders
      Hi all, I'm hoping for a diagnosis as to why I'm seeing Jupiter the way I'm seeing it.    I'm still a total newbie having got my first telescope at the start of December and managing half a dozen sessions since then.  My scope is a Skywatcher Heritage 114P Virtuoso (114/500 F4.38).
      When viewing Jupiter this morning (in Glasgow 6:30 - 7:30) and on a previous occasion it's been very bright and I've only had very fleeting hints of bands.  I've attached a still and a link to a short video clip.  I've got no plans for astrophotography but having a smartphone attached at times is helpful for my 4 year old daughter and the video clip is a fair representation of what I was seeing through the eyepiece.  
      This was viewing through a 6mm plossl and 2x Barlow (167x) but the image was similar but smaller using the 6mm alone.  The scope was given about 45mins calling time (outside temp was -2)
      I know there are a number of factors in play here, but the ones that came to mind are:
      Should I be using a filter to lessen the brightness of Jupiter? Is my fine-tuning of the focuser not quite good enough yet? How much of the problem is the fact my table is on a decking that has a bit of shake. Will setting up the Virtuoso's motorised tracking ability improve the image? The "seeing" wasn't good enough? I've reached the limit of the scope? I could try a higher eyepiece and take it up towards the max 228x (although even at 167x the exit pupil is down to 0.7mm) Something else entirely I've not thought of. Any suggestions that will help me improve my viewing much appreciated.
      Thanks

David
      Video - Jupiter 27 Dec

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.