Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from the Scottish Highlands

MalcolmSt

I've gotten so much from sgl as a relative newbie (well, re-started as a hobby seriously in the last year), so I thought I'd do the decent thing and join to contribute instead of merely consuming the excellent wisdom herein. 

A big shout out from the bit of a challenge of weather that is the Scottish Highlands. All donations of "clear skies" gratefully accepted, of course. And finally a chance to say a big thanks to those who contribute so much!

Malcolm.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, MalcolmSt said:

I've gotten so much from sgl as a relative newbie (well, re-started as a hobby seriously in the last year), so I thought I'd do the decent thing and join to contribute instead of merely consuming the excellent wisdom herein. 

A big shout out from the bit of a challenge of weather that is the Scottish Highlands. All donations of "clear skies" gratefully accepted, of course. And finally a chance to say a big thanks to those who contribute so much!

Malcolm.

Hi Malcolm and welcome formally.  How about we trade some clear nights for your dark sky :) 

Jim 

Hi Malcolm, welcome to SGL. I used to travel all over the Highlands and Islands salmon and sea trout fishing. I used to sleep under the stars with my trusty binoculars. The views used to take my breath away. 

Welcome from a city dweller, Malcolm. I know ‘The Highlands’ fairly well although now it’s mostly memories I have. 

Those memories include tent or bothy nights under jaw-dropping skies where every inch had a jewel in it. I knew only three or four major constellations at the time but struggled to identify even those in that glistening canopy.

Hope you have lots of fun with the hobby and the forum. 🙂

On 18/05/2023 at 18:34, saac said:

Hi Malcolm and welcome formally.  How about we trade some clear nights for your dark sky :) 

Jim 

Thanks for the welcome, Jim. Yes, when it's clear the sky's can be awesome. No astronomical darkness at this time of year, struggling now to see even the Aurora. Still, having owned my trusty EQ2/Explorer 130 for ten or so years, this summer is my big upgrade year, so plenty to do on these light summer nights. Those nice folks at FLO have delivered my new HEQ5 Pro, now getting it all set up, aligned and playing around with EQMOD/ASCOM. All exciting stuff.

Clear & dark skies,

Malcolm.

• Like 1

On 18/05/2023 at 18:58, apaulo said:

welcome malcolm you might get a bit of clear sky later tonight there.

Hi apaulo, really appreciate the warm welcome. TBH weather has been relatively good recently, but as I mentioned to Jim, little by way of astronomical darkness now. 80 miles north of here, on high cliffs you can see mid summer the sun dip below the horizon for only a few minutes each night, and I'm sure I'm not the northernmost member in the UK.

10 hours ago, MalcolmSt said:

Thanks for the welcome, Jim. Yes, when it's clear the sky's can be awesome. No astronomical darkness at this time of year, struggling now to see even the Aurora. Still, having owned my trusty EQ2/Explorer 130 for ten or so years, this summer is my big upgrade year, so plenty to do on these light summer nights. Those nice folks at FLO have delivered my new HEQ5 Pro, now getting it all set up, aligned and playing around with EQMOD/ASCOM. All exciting stuff.

Clear & dark skies,

Malcolm.

Hi Malcolm - welcome.

We had a great week on the Isle of Lewis last week and drove over the highlands in both directions. You live in a superb area of the country.

I packed the scope to come with me then unpacked it at the last minute due the weather forecast (no clear outlook) and lack of astro darkness. I was shocked actually what a difference "just" 500 miles make.

Cheers

• 5 months later...