SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Live rocket launch

Peco4321

22 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Heads up spacex in flight abort Dragon crew capsule at 14:00 utc today... think I've got that right..

Space Launch Now app is reporting that launch is scheduled for 15:00UTC, so 3pm. 

Edited by fireballxl5
Added link
  • Like 2

The second stage passed almost overhead here on it's way to orbit. Shame it wasn't dark and clear. Would have been worth a look. No doubt the new batch, once hatched,  will be well placed for UK fans on coming evenings!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like I just missed another Starlink launch this afternoon.

For those that have taken to sticking pins in voodoo dolls of Falcon 9 rockets, it worked a little bit. The first stage landed in the Atlantic not far from the landing barge.

The second stage performance was "nominal", so notwithstanding an act of God/meteor strike/in-orbit collision, it looks like another 60 lickle lights are going to brighten our nights. 

• Like 1

It sort of makes me sad, all this need for so many satellites, but what is the alternative? I cannot see one without a major change in human nature and the desire to have what the neighbour has. :sad:

These launches always impress me though, just see how far humanity has come, in such a short time! :grin:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I'll be watching on my laptop in the garden.

Why?

The ISS goes over at 9:30 followed by the Falcon at 9:45

Yep, telescope will be set up early and binoculars on hand. The coverage on the SpaceX website starts 3 hours from time of posting.

https://www.spacex.com/launches/

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I'll be watching on my laptop in the garden.

Why?

The ISS goes over at 9:30 followed by the Falcon at 9:45

According to CO and HA ISS isn't visible until the next orbit, is that because it's still daylight ?

Dave

8 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

According to CO and HA ISS isn't visible until the next orbit, is that because it's still daylight ?

Dave

I think they cut off near sunset.

I expect so. Stellarium has it overhead at 20:22 UTC (21:22 BST) and visible, just 8 minutes after sunset here.

At mag -3.3 its 0.7 of a magnitude less bright than Venus but MUCH further away from the sun.

May be tricky to spot but will be visible.

Of course they should both be visible on the later pass.

Edited by Stub Mandrel