SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Live rocket launch

Peco4321

"Nominal" seems to underplays success in the same way that "anomaly" underplays disaster; as in the Crew Dragon suffering an "anomaly" during test firing on the ground on Friday:

Space X won't confirm the severity of the incident but all reports are of catastrophic failure :(

The next flight was going to be manned I think.

1 hour ago, Paul M said:

"Nominal" seems to underplays success in the same way that "anomaly" underplays disaster; as in the Crew Dragon suffering an "anomaly" during test firing on the ground on Friday:

Space X won't confirm the severity of the incident but all reports are of catastrophic failure :(

The next flight was going to be manned I think.

The report on the BBC website says ' Images of smoke coming from the space capsule have been circulating on social media.'

I think that was a tad more severe?

Good job it was a test not a mission.

Edited by Stub Mandrel

11 hours ago, JamesF said:

Apparently NASA has proposed using a "railgun" type technology to launch vehicles:

https://www.universetoday.com/73536/nasa-considering-rail-gun-launch-system-to-the-stars/

James

Its amazing that "Fireball XL5" had the right idea all those years ago :D

I  dont know the exact figures but a very large proportion of a rockets fuel is used up just getting it to Mak 1.....

Alan

Edited by Alien 13
  • Like 1

The ideas are not new Nasa even experimented with a large "Gun" ("Verrnie") and even an "Elevator".

The "AltonTowers " rig still depends on Scram jets working - hence why the USA is pouring more money into Sabre than the UK does and all the engine testing is in the US.

As for the "balloon" - I think Helium has far better uses in medicine(MRI scanner) and it drives me mad that we just let it be used for kids/party toy balloon. Oh and before some one say's it - it costs 10,000 times more to create industrial Helium and cannot be produced by chemical reaction.

If SciFi inventions come from films/Cartoons then you just need anti gravity paint "Cavorite" - look up "First Men in the Moon" LOL

7 minutes ago, stash_old said:

If SciFi inventions come from films/Cartoons then you just need anti gravity paint "Cavorite" - look up "First Men in the Moon" LOL

I think they sell it in B&Q :grin:

Dave

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I was checking on the upcoming launches, hoping to make a mad dash over to the Cape. 

Both SpaceX and Boeing have manned launches scheduled for this November.

There is one set for tomorrow morning around 5:30 to 6:00 am. Dont know if I can work it out with our baby sitting a few more days before school.

• 3 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Astroscot2 said:

Well done Space X with the successful test of the starhopper - loving the progress Space X are making …,

Regards

Mark

Was great to watch! Especially after the scrub at T+.8 the day before.

I don't know why but somehow the Starhopper launch felt even more exciting than a full scale launch - I think its the fact that it was quite raw, I had been watching a live feed from a few km away and seeing cranes moving around, bits getting taken off and put back together really drove home how experimental and unknown alot of this tech still is.

• Like 1

I found I only really got an idea of the scale of the vehicle when it landed.  At the start it just looked like a dustbin with fins.  Once it had landed and there were other objects to compare it to, my error became obvious :)

James