SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Live rocket launch

Peco4321

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not been too much in the press about the Israeli moon shot.

I was watching the live feed of the landing attempt this evening and saw dreams shattered. The lander suffered a few glitches on the deorbiting and final engine burn. They lost telemetry at one point and the main descent engine failed just a few hundred metres from touch down. They rebooted the spacecraft but it looks like the main engine returned to service about the same time as impact.

They announced it as a total loss almost immediaimmediately :(

The engine was British built. The inquest will be.interesting. Did the engine fail or was it let down by spacecraft systems?

That was great to watch ! :grin:

I thought one of the boosters that landed on land looked a little wobbly at one point but all 3 seem to have made it back down in good shape.

It's surreal watching the pair of them coming down onto the pads side by side :shocked:

2 minutes ago, John said:

That was great to watch ! :grin:

I thought one of the boosters that landed on land looked a little wobbly at one point but all 3 seem to have made it back down in good shape.

It's surreal watching the pair of them coming down onto the pads side by side :shocked:

Yes it seemed to be a little wonky on the pad but safe enough.

I love seeing the amateur footage of them coming into land, complete with sonic booms. Incredible!

• Like 1

Just now, Stu said:

Yes it seemed to be a little wonky on the pad but safe enough.

I love seeing the amateur footage of them coming into land, complete with sonic booms. Incredible!

I saw the first launch where a booster came back down on land when we were in Florida in 2017. It wasn't a heavy lifter - just a single. Quite a quiet launch and a double sonic boom a few minutes later as the booster came back down. Only launch I've managed to actually see despite quite a few trips to Florida over the past couple of decades. I quite fancy a trip to see one of these heavy ones go off though - I'll have to start selling the plan to my other half !

• Like 1

Something that bothered me about the SpaceX launch and also about this latest one is the use of the word "nominal".  In what sense are they using it?  It's not one with which I am familiar.

James

4 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Something that bothered me about the SpaceX launch and also about this latest one is the use of the word "nominal".  In what sense are they using it?  It's not one with which I am familiar.

James

It means 'as planned' or within boundaries I believe.

The full online OED has it as an originally Astronautical usage - earliest citation from 1961

6. orig. and chiefly Astronautics. Functioning acceptably, normal.

1961   M. Savage Launch Vehicle Handbk. (NASA) A-2   For nominal flights, the pitch gyro of the Scout will be torqued at rates which will produce a zero lift.
1966   Aviation Week & Space Technol. 5 Dec. 30/1   The mission is to launch the 800-lb. Prime vehicle to effect a nominal re-entry at 400,000 ft. following injection at 26,000 fps.
1982   M. Leapman Yankee Doodles iii. 177   During the flight, nominal was the word used most frequently. It appeared to mean normal, or within the nominated guide lines (parameters). ‘That's nominal’ meant ‘no problem’.
1994   H. Weinstein Better Man xi. 108   At the time of our departure for the Enterprise, all readings were nominal.

Edited by Gfamily

1 hour ago, Ags said:

I think it is an Americanism or an Engineeringism. I thought it meant "just barely adequate" or "in name only". Like "nominal service" is not good service at all.

That's pretty much the cause of my confusion, Ags.  Particularly where there is commentary such as "X is good; Y is nominal" which makes me think "So Y is not good then?"

James