Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Live rocket launch

Peco4321

Yeah there appears to be some confusion in the media as to when it appears and also in apps that might of course not be right - not sure where they get their data from.

Anyway I plan to be observing around 21:15 BST and will keep my eyes skinned. The BBC news website has ISS flying over "around the time of the launch" and then Falcon "will fly past around 25 minutes after lift-off (roughly 21:58 BST)". 

I saw the ISS last week and it was very obvious. Bigger than any satellite I've seen.

Edited by TerryMcK

Crew Dragon culminates just above Spica for me (oop north) less than half an hour after local sunset. At this time of year the ecliptic subtends such a shallow angle with the horizon that Sun isn't very far below the horizon by 21:55. 

Gonna be a bright sky.

just finished my Zoom meeting with the local Astro club and suggested everyone go to NASA TV...And within 10 seconds of there...They scrub it!!! OH NO!!!

At least safety comes first.Next time in 3 days :) Saturday

35 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Cap'n Kirk never had these problems 😁

Dave

When we start constructing our ships in space docks, we should be OK.😉

Started watching (with a couple of breaks) during the suit pressurisation test. It was so close once the fuelling was given a go, I started to believe the launch may happen.

Still interesting to watch the preparation.

I had a look at the SpaceX vacancies. There's loads. Let's see... Hmm... Avionics Integration Engineer. Um no. Starship Manufacturing Engineer. No chance. Porter. Too much heavy lifting. Domestic Hygiene Attendant. Yes! Qualified to do that, but probably too old.. 🙄

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet

1 minute ago, Alien 13 said:

Not sure why bad weather should stop a flight, this is the 21st century and as far as I know Faraday cages still work..

Alan

Elf and Safety 😁

Dave

Watched the feed until just after launch scrub then went outside and caught the ISS as it pased over us. It took me a while to spot it but it tracked almost perfectly alongside a vapour trail from an airliner.

1 minute ago, Ouroboros said:

The next chance is Saturday apparently (BBC news at 10pm). Any chance of seeing it and ISS then? 

Still be daylight here for the launch but weather is supposed to  be better here so may see it around ten o'clock.

Dave

29 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Not sure why bad weather should stop a flight, this is the 21st century and as far as I know Faraday cages still work..

Alan

Nasa have previous for risk taking and I guess a lightning strike is a non-zero risk event. Weather is important down rage for tracking of a normal flight and in the event of search and rescue being required. 

• Like 1