Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Live rocket launch

Peco4321

1 minute ago, RayD said:

I suspect we will have the conspiracy theorists piping up soon about the video going off just when the F9 landed. 

I thoroughly enjoyed every single second of that.

Did it actually land? One moment an empty platform...camera blinks...Oh look, a Falcon9 Rocket appeared!! 😮 

Im not really trying to wind em up...Honest 😜 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Ags said:

It's worth thinking about: the cheapest commercial launch system in the world is also rated for human spaceflight, and it is partially reusable. Falcon 9 is really one of the most remarkable rockets in the history of the space age.

Incredible isn't it, I don't think I'd even heard of SpaceX on the day they shut down the Shuttle Program and now just 9 years later they have their amazing testing regime which has produced one of the most efficient and safest lift systems on the planet - incredible.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

Incredible isn't it, I don't think I'd even heard of SpaceX on the day they shut down the Shuttle Program and now just 9 years later they have their amazing testing regime which has produced one of the most efficient and safest lift systems on the planet - incredible.

A monumental feat.

• Like 1

Fantastic. Just watched it with the boys. I even let the little one stay up as he'd never seen a launch before before. He's 5 and has an engineering mind, builds lots of things with motors and Meccano, now wants to build a space rocket 😀

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Star101 said:

Did it actually land? One moment an empty platform...camera blinks...Oh look, a Falcon9 Rocket appeared!! 😮 

Im not really trying to wind em up...Honest 😜 

photoshop is great isn't it. Kidding of course it landed somewhere if it did on the barge then bullseye if in the sea who cares less debris in space... no doubt they will provide video later. but fantastic

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

those people on the landing barge were able to roll out that 200+ ft rocket pretty quick!

Blue Peter did it: "here's one we landed earlier.." :)

10 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Trip to Lytham St Annes 😁

Dave

To those in the know, that is two towns.  Neither would let me in, I'm too rough for Lytham and too posh for St Annes :)

Edited by Paul M
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Paul M said:

Blue Peter did it: "here's one we landed earlier.." :)

To those in the know, that is two towns.  Neither would let me in, I'm too rough for Lytham and too posh for St Annes :)

It's the retirement village for the wealthy

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Paul M said:

Anyway, Bob and Doug. Not exactly inspiring names!

I once attended a course presented by a "Blaise Hudson", now that is a name for a Hollywood astronaut!

I'm pleased they look about the same age as me 🙂

The cabin is very slick, straight out of sci-fi (no doubt to keep Elon's vanity rating peaking). Lots of extra space, I think it can take several people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

Should be better view for you, bit low here, ISS about just before 10.15 followed a few minutes later by the Crew Dragon.

Dave

Have ISS in my sights coming over from the west just below the moon and visible after that only an object coming from the south not dark enough here.

Edited by fozzybear

I easily spotted ISS but no sign on the Crew Dragon even with the bins. Wasn't sure how far behind it was trailing but looking at the ongoing live launch feed graphics it wasn't too far behind and I missed it.

21 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

Have ISS in my sights coming over from the west just below the moon and visible after that only an object coming from the south not dark enough here.

I saw that object moving S-N. Not naked eye, just a glint in the binoculars that caught my eye and I followed it. ISS and Crew Dragon missed not seen.

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 1

The ISS pass was very bright from here. Went just below Spica in Virgo. The Dragon capsule was supposed to be around 4 minutes behind it and a bit lower but I could not see it. It was predicted as about magnitude 2.5 which might have been a bit faint with that much light still in the sky. My "window" between trees in that direction is not that large either so it would be easy to miss it.

I took the camera and tripod out on my evening walk. The ISS pass was a beauty, passing under Regulus and the Moon but no sign of the Dragon. I reckon it was lost down in the Mirk shown in the 2nd image.

ISS.jpg.7bfde3fcec14b744c061012afe7551ae.jpg

Pano.thumb.jpg.9a32c2c969b1c155d6ba8d9d6c0288e3.jpg

Edited by johnfosteruk
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, John said:

It was predicted as about magnitude 2.5 which might have been a bit faint with that much light still in the sky.

I think I might have seen it. Mag 2.5 sounds about right for the object I saw, which was a satellite like object, following the same path as the ISS, which didn't match up to anything on Orbittrack. The problem (aside from the relative faintness) was that it was something like 12 or 13 minutes behind the ISS. I was expecting it to be a bit closer and was just about to head back inside when I noticed it moving across the sky.

• Like 1