Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

38 minutes ago, Merak said:

I was going to wait a bit longer but a couple of events that's happened recently made me realise that you really don't know what's round the corner.     When I saw it was in stock I decided to go for it.

I'm just hoping that the cradle and dovetail I ordered are in a separate delivery.

20230518_102809.jpg

I heartily agree with this sentiment. Enjoy it now while you can - you can't take it with you! 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, badhex said:

I heartily agree with this sentiment. Enjoy it now while you can - you can't take it with you! 

Thanks.    Cradle and Dovetail(More Blue 220mm) have arrived, just need to find some suitable bolts/screws to put them together.

• Like 2

~

Very recently, Explore Scientific had an eyepiece sale on several of their lines. Of particular interest to me was the pricing on some of their 82° series.

Having already acquired all the 5/4" models in this line, the pricing on the 2" units pushed me to finish the set, otherwise I would not have.

IMGP4492.JPG.8ecbf986382122cd007b07a83d5519e4.JPG

Now, they're all collected in one place, but, I have a problem, as you can plainly see - an empty gap in the case. 

What to do?

IMGP5897.JPG.638077a40be003f439d201596c2087f7.JPG

• Like 10

16 hours ago, Nakedgun said:

~

Very recently, Explore Scientific had an eyepiece sale on several of their lines. Of particular interest to me was the pricing on some of their 82° series.

Having already acquired all the 5/4" models in this line, the pricing on the 2" units pushed me to finish the set, otherwise I would not have.

Now, they're all collected in one place, but, I have a problem, as you can plainly see - an empty gap in the case. 

What to do?

Maybe an ES 2in 2x Barlow would fit in nicely

John

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PeterStudz said:

For some reason, when I was a kid, this past me by even though I had quite a few Ladybird books. But coming across this on eBay for a few quid I just couldn’t resist.

IMG_2023-5-19-123752.thumb.jpeg.e6bc7d1405c85c75f724f2e6e8fe456d.jpeg

I had this one as a boy, along with "Exploring Space" and "How it Works: The Rocket".
They were all given away at some point and bought back, in the last few years, on the Sinus Echonis.
Even after all that time, I was anticipating the picture on the next page as I read through it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PeterStudz said:

For some reason, when I was a kid, this past me by even though I had quite a few Ladybird books. But coming across this on eBay for a few quid I just couldn’t resist.

I always found the cover drawing to be inspiring and exciting in equal measure.

• Like 4

Nine months ago I ordered a replacement focuser for my Mak-Newt (190MN) from astroshop. The stock focuser (low profile dual speed crayford) has a built in extension tube which I wasn’t pleased with, as it introduces play in the imaging train. AfaIk, there are only two replacement focusers for this scope, MoonLite and FeatherTouch. I went for the FeatherTouch focuser with adapter ring. The focuser was not in stock and the lead time a few months. A few months became a few months more. And more. And more. About two weeks ago, astroshop informed me that the earliest possible delivery date had been pushed forward to no earlier than 1 August. In the mean time I had read on CN that the owner of Starlight Instruments (manufacturer of FeatherTouch) had past away in 2021, and the second most experienced person was no longer with the company. I decided to cancel my order and order the Omegon Steeltrail 2” instead. The balance I had with astroshop allowed me to also buy a Pegasus Astro focuscube and a powerbox advance. Such is the cost of a  FeatherTouch. (I had to pay an extra 65 € for the new order.) Last wednesday the postman delivered this

56A5EA9C-205F-4067-83EF-BDF106CDE354.thumb.jpeg.7501ef03d5e79ab9c15e633694aeb9f5.jpeg

I just posted a write up of the installation

Edited by wimvb
  • Like 6

30 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

I always found the cover drawing to be inspiring and exciting in equal measure.

I know what you mean. And while obviously dated it’s full of down to earth information. I think that a lot of modern guides that are aimed at the young (or old for that matter) could learn from it. My daughter has complained about many of the books we’ve bought as being too complicated with far too many flashy astrophotography images.

As an example I love this simplified map of the moon. Learn these areas/features first and you’re well on the way to navigating your way around the moon. 

IMG_2187.thumb.jpeg.3cbb9d642f570b0d2c27be17c591f23f.jpeg

And this page on double stars.

IMG_2188.thumb.jpeg.4bb827a5310f8ca3099ed07e40824de8.jpeg

• Like 9

7 hours ago, johnturley said:

Maybe an ES 2in 2x Barlow would fit in nicely

John

~

I failed to explain I found a Meade 2" 2x tele-extender I had never used, lying in a drawer collecting dust, so that is what can be seen in the right corner of my image.

Gotta come up with something else.

8 hours ago, PeterStudz said:

Great book, it was this book that got me hooked on astronomy. I don't have my original copy but bought another copy about 10 years ago. The picture of the spring sky with Leo and a fox running through the fields has always stuck with me 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Alan White said:

@PeterStudz loved that book as a child and have owned one again for a while.
Tickles me to include it as a resource for my Astro Club talks each month.

LB1FrontCover.thumb.jpg.88a120c08c40ab195bef50b21937cc4f.jpg

The Meteor image makes me smile.

LB29.thumb.jpg.acfa30c2402e816f4b081424d69b409c.jpg

There's something magical about that books simplicity that really appeals to me, and I can imagine it being genuinely inspiring to a young mind. I also love that shade of blue, and the starry skies remind me of my childhood, when my friend, also named Michael, and I would play out under such deepening blue skies littered with starlight. We were around 11 years old. Street lights were not as much of a problem as they are today, and either my childhood skies or my childhood eyes were considerably more transparent back then.  I also had my first astro expedition under such a sky when I was six years old. Looking through my bedroom window which faced south, I saw a first quarter Moon, and being aware the Moon was a globe, I had it in mind that if I could stand beneath it, it would look like a Dairylea cheese triangle, so off I went. I've no idea how I sneaked past mum and dad and my older brother, but somehow I found myself walking down back streets for the distance of what must have been half a mile before I realised the Moon was moving with me, and I wasn't getting any closer, so I decided to return home in failure.

I knew even then in 1968 that one day I'd either own a telescope or build a rocket.

download.jpeg.e16d6822a6e9ec9cff943fe49a9ae3c7.jpeg

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 10

Got this yesterday and this morning my flocking material from FLO should be here just waiting for the springs then I will flock it. 

Only bought 2 pieces as they are a metre long it won't be far short I am a little worried about the circumference as with both pieces it will only be 90cm I need to measure the inside of the tube. 

20230520_081611.jpg

• Like 9

14 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

There's something magical about that books simplicity that really appeals to me, and I can imagine it being genuinely inspiring to a young mind. I also love that shade of blue, and the starry skies remind me of my childhood, when my friend, also named Michael, and I would play out under such deepening blue skies littered with starlight. We were around 11 years old. Street lights were not as much of a problem as they are today, and either my childhood skies or my childhood eyes were considerably more transparent back then.  I also had my first astro expedition under such a sky when I was six years old. Looking through my bedroom window which faced south, I saw a first quarter Moon, and being aware the Moon was a globe, I had it in mind that if I could stand beneath it, it would look like a Dairylea cheese triangle, so off I went. I've no idea how I sneaked past mum and dad and my older brother, but somehow I found myself walking down back streets for the distance of what must have been half a mile before I realised the Moon was moving with me, and I wasn't getting any closer, so I decided to return home in failure.

I knew even then in 1968 that one day I'd either own a telescope or build a rocket.

download.jpeg.e16d6822a6e9ec9cff943fe49a9ae3c7.jpeg

That’s a nice read… thanks for posting!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

Got this yesterday and this morning my flocking material from FLO should be here just waiting for the springs then I will flock it. 

Only bought 2 pieces as they are a metre long it won't be far short I am a little worried about the circumference as with both pieces it will only be 90cm I need to measure the inside of the tube. 

20230520_081611.jpg

My wife has discovered how good this is at cleaning glasses, mobile phones etc and now I can never find mine!

• Haha 1

On 18/05/2023 at 18:45, Nakedgun said:

~

What to do?

Very good eyepieces. I’ve just started to get back into these. 

• Like 2