Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

11 hours ago, jock1958 said:

I’m visual only, adjusting the worm gear housing is straightforward  requiring basic tools ie Allen keys and a bit of trial and error, I’m sure there’s a few threads on here which will point you in the right direction. 

Thank you. I'll have a search. There should be a manual for this kit coming my way soon, so that may also help.

• Like 1

So after the departure of my lovely and yet rather weighty Starwave 152 I have invested in a really “traditional “ frac ie Starwave 102ED F11 . I think it sits very well on the skytee mount .  Many thanks to Altair Astro for a speedy delivery . Although a bit stingy not to include the finder shoe . Done a bit of homework regarding this scope as i had the red non ED version a few years ago ( I do like the red colour a bit more than the white .. does that make me shallow? ) . Apparently, and I am only going off a review on CN the colour correction on this scope is superb . We will see . Bought to observe the moon, doubles and planets ( where have they gone :( ) I need another short frac to compliment it on the skyTee mount . Regarding the mount , I was all set to sell it to @Sponcom but he graciously  agreed to let me keep it . A really nice gesture from Paul ( Many Thanks ) 

IMG_0335.jpeg

Edited by Stu1smartcookie
  • Like 14

1 hour ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Apparently, and I am only going off a review on CN the colour correction on this scope is superb .

Very sharp optic which is helped by the long focal length, I had one a while back and was very impressed with it and also bino-friendly.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dave scutt said:

DPD delivered this today from @Saganite.

20230425_171620.thumb.jpg.d2d344aba6cef89f833578f9bc23da9b.jpg20230425_171633.thumb.jpg.7039f3bbf57460545c2823d262384f79.jpg

Now i could fit 1  or 2 more a push , wish i never sold the 6mm.

20230425_171913.thumb.jpg.c564ff1a87bde31a3fd83176eca23c4e.jpg

Thanks steve well packaged,  ive even got extra pluck foam for another case.

That's going to be "my" type of eyepiece set 🙂

The 6mm is superb. I love the 8mm as well, not that you want to hear that !

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Franklin said:

Very sharp optic which is helped by the long focal length, I had one a while back and was very impressed with it and also bino-friendly.

Yes I used the Binos earlier and wanted to see if I could obtain focus without losing the tube near the focuser … I couldn’t until i used the little Barlow lens which bought everything into focus . 

• Like 1

My Baader Hyperion Zoom lens with Barlow, and my Baader Hyperion 5mm 68* eyepiece along with my Baader neodymium moon and skyglow filter and Baader Nd 0.9 filter yesterday, and my repaired SCT mount arrived today I sent my mount to Celestron on march 27 and I am really surprised at the quick turnaround after reading about repair times on the forums, now I just have to wait for a cloudless night to bring my scope out and try out my new eyepieces. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Are you missing parts of “your” set, John?

I have the 21, 13, 8, 6 and 4.7 in the Ethos series. I did have the 17mm and 3.7mm for a while but they didn't get used much so they went to new homes. The one that I have not owned is the 10mm but, again, that's not a focal length that I find I reach for much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

I've just priced one up wow £92 

Get it from their store direct and it's a lot less.  Free worldwide shipping, though I paid £5 extra on the site for clearance at import.  £59 puts it in the realms of the nexyz:

https://www.moveshootmove.com/collections/move-shoot-move-rotator/products/msm-xyz-phone-mount-for-telescope

4 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

Get it from their store direct and it's a lot less.  Free worldwide shipping, though I paid £5 extra on the site for clearance at import.  £59 puts it in the realms of the nexyz:

https://www.moveshootmove.com/collections/move-shoot-move-rotator/products/msm-xyz-phone-mount-for-telescope

Thank you for that much appreciated. 

Paul 

• Thanks 1

A small selection of M6 fixings/hardware...

• 8mm nylon-tip grub screws
  • 25mm socket cap screws with low-profile head
  • ‘Nyloc’ nuts
  • ’Nord-lock’ washers
  • flat washers

...so I can attach my ETX105 to the 124mm guidescope/telescope rings and dovetail bar that arrived a few weeks ago and do away with the Jubilee hose rings that were used as a temporary solution/substitute. Also got to add some mounting brackets for finderscope and/or RDF to the rings.

I have also got to re-drill the mounting holes to 6mm [currently M4 or equivalent] on the cradle of my DS-2102 so that I can attach a short dovetail bar.

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1

Hello. This actually arrived yesterday afternoon and amazingly I got first light within the hour.  Lacerta Brewster-angle Herschel Wedge  2 inch version from 365 Astronomy. 

I took a decision on this as wanting to make full use of my Tak FS 128 on Mr SOL. Was getting good views with a Seymour filter. Remembered seeing a post a while ago from @johninderby who bought one for his Bresser 127 frac. He was happy with it's performance and if it's good enough for John, enough said. 

Rather wallet friendly too compared with other options.  It's a substantial bit of kit. I've used with and without a solar continuum filter and also with a polarizing filter. Great views. 

Only slight downside is that I cannot quite get native focus with my Maxbright binoviewers. In focus just a few mm’s short. Once I add a barlow nosepiece I'm back in business with the BV's. 

Anyway. Very happy with the latest addition to my kitbag.  ( Don't really do baked beans but Rice pudding - bring it on !!!!!! ) 

John 

IMG_3158.jpeg

IMG_3157.jpeg

Edited by Telescope40
Photos
  • Like 18

13 minutes ago, Telescope40 said:

Hello. This actually arrived yesterday afternoon and amazingly I got first light within the hour.  Lacerta Brewster-angle Herschel Wedge from 365 Astronomy. 

I took a decision on this as wanting to make full use of my Tak FS 128 on Mr SOL. Was getting good views with a Seymour filter. Remembered seeing a post a while ago from @johninderby who bought one for his Bresser 127 frac. He was happy with it's performance and if it's good enough for John, enough said. 

Rather wallet friendly too compared with other options.  It's a substantial bit of kit. I've used with and without a solar continuum filter and also with a polarizing filter. Great views. 

Only slight downside is that I cannot quite get native focus with my Maxbright binoviewers. In focus just a few mm’s short. Once I add a barlow nosepiece I'm back in business with the BV's. 

Anyway. Very happy with the latest addition to my kitbag.  ( Don't really do baked beans but Rice pudding - bring it on !!!!!! ) 

John 

IMG_3158.jpeg

IMG_3157.jpeg

Nice! one of these is on my list too

17 minutes ago, Telescope40 said:

Hello. This actually arrived yesterday afternoon and amazingly I got first light within the hour.  Lacerta Brewster-angle Herschel Wedge from 365 Astronomy. 

John 

IMG_3158.jpeg

IMG_3157.jpeg

Nice purchase John, enjoy those Solar views.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ratlet said:

Am I missing something? It says on mine that the extra £5 is for shipping from Spain and that it's the free shipping from the US that has custom clearance.

Screenshot_20230427-1446022.thumb.png.1a03442825c8ef2789df6d0959002842.png

57 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Am I missing something? It says on mine that the extra £5 is for shipping from Spain and that it's the free shipping from the US that has custom clearance.

Screenshot_20230427-1446022.thumb.png.1a03442825c8ef2789df6d0959002842.png

Ack.  No you are quite correct, I got things muddled up.  The extra shipping was for shipping from Spain which arrives quicker.  I in fact ordered from the States and didn't pay extra.  Just finished 2 weeks of 12 hour night shifts and my head is more mince than usual.

• Like 1

Bags from RVO as not at other places.

So a Bag for my most used, yet portable scope, the 80mm f6 not a true ED but does ok and great at WL Solar etc.

B2E8E2D0-9B48-4607-907C-3E9AC9AFC8B5.thumb.jpeg.312106f0c6088ce462026106f7de02c1.jpeg

664886C0-4A0D-4CF4-9066-D9CB84C396C8.thumb.jpeg.4da44388ebb9484860dade74b46a04b3.jpeg

and a bag that truly fits Big Red 152 5.9 Altair, not a repurposed reflector bag, but one made for it.

F58B3451-3C6C-405B-8E77-100D1A005ED5.thumb.jpeg.a7febce0cfe0d65ca0a5c666667a454b.jpeg

DE621083-6981-488D-9A0A-C8745CC26C4A.thumb.jpeg.0b838a50c8a629d02dddd5bae94676c9.jpeg

Geoptik have improved the interiors and now smooth nylon no longer velour

Somehow Big Red needed a bag to suit and be red.

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 15

An AZ-GTiX, but with the SW 1.75" 3/8" tripod, which looks better to me than the bundled option.

Image3500334798860548116.thumb.jpg.214fe68cac4f5dd2a56c7f7064fafadb.jpg

Great service from FLO/DHL - these were in my hands 25 hours from pressing the button.

I'll be using this with my existing OTAs, but I'm hoping that the goto and tracking will be a bit more reliable than with my existing Star Discovery (to be fair, I suspect I've overloaded it by adding various bits and pieces to my scopes).

• Like 9

Sky-Watcher L-bracket, dovetail one side, 3/8" photo thread the other, to allow me to fit my Canon EOS 1100D onto my scope mount.

P1060542.JPG.3a577dc38d3ef6f5a69d73ec10db63dd.JPG

Works a treat with the camera just fitting inside the dovetail bar and the whole assembly fitting snuggly on the mount (the dovetail bar is just 4" long).

I've been hankering after a wider field of view when doing EAA, and this month's Sky at Night magazine mentioned photographing the Milky Way. While looking at shorter OTAs (guide scope sized) it occurred to me that I could just use the DSLR with its own lenses. The 70mm - 300mm telephoto takes over just where the 72mm refractor / astro camera combination leaves off. This bracket is all I need, saving valuable funds for a new eyepiece!

Everything works in daylight so now I just need this rain to clear and for the Milky Way to appear (in August).

Ordered from FLO yesterday morning (11am) and it arrived at lunchtime today (1pm), via Royal Mail, not even using an expedited delivery!

• Like 4