Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did the postman bring?

nightfisher

As eluded to above and in anticipation of some clear skies, when I hope to do a proper shoot-out between them, so I can finally decide what's stays in the main set... this arrived today... Delos 14mm 😃

I did a daytime test between the Pentax XW14 and Morpheus 14mm, and sadly it confirmed that there is a fair degree of field curvature in both these eyepieces (at least in my 80mm f/10 refractor). The XW20 was better and I have noted other differences, but I want to assess them properly at night and have decided to bite the bullet and throw the remaining 70ish degree eyepiece at that focal length into the mix too, in order to make an informed decision... it seems very well reviewed, but I have to decide for myself which suits my scopes and (slightly) ageing eyes 🤔

Now we just need a good few nights of clear skies, so I am imposing a "no more buying" moratorium on myself until after Xmas at least 🤣

TeleVue_Delos_14mm.jpg

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 5

On 11/12/2020 at 17:00, HollyHound said:

However, don't do what I did and look through it from the control side (like the TelRad), and then wonder why there is no reticule visible...

21 hours ago, Dantooine said:

I opened the bottom and popped in the battery, turned it on and couldn’t see a thing. Looked through both sides just in case I was doing the same as you described above. Next I went into a completely dark room and still nothing. Re- checked that I’d properly slipped the battery under the small tabs.. all correct. Maybe the battery was a dud? Took it out to try another battery an see that I’d not taken the plastic film protector off from the positive side of the battery... obviously you are not alone in these daft situations 🤣

It's not just me, then ... been there with both of these scenarios.....🙄

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

As eluded to above and in anticipation of some clear skies, when I hope to do a proper shoot-out between them, so I can finally decide what's stays in the main set... this arrived today... Delos 14mm 😃

I did a daytime test between the Pentax XW14 and Morpheus 14mm, and sadly it confirmed that there is a fair degree of field curvature in both these eyepieces (at least in my 80mm f/10 refractor). The XW20 was better and I have noted other differences, but I want to assess them properly at night and have decided to bite the bullet and throw the remaining 70ish degree eyepiece at that focal length into the mix too, in order to make an informed decision... it seems very well reviewed, but I have to decide for myself which suits my scopes and (slightly) ageing eyes 🤔

Now we just need a good few nights of clear skies, so I am imposing a "no more buying" moratorium on myself until after Xmas at least 🤣

TeleVue_Delos_14mm.jpg

By the way, have you tried the 13 ethos as thats in the close focal length and it’s “not a bad” eyepiece 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Dantooine said:

By the way, have you tried the 13 ethos as thats in the close focal length and it’s “not a bad” eyepiece 🤣

I’ve tried 82deg eyepieces and didn’t get on with the larger FoV, however that was before I got a dob, so may indeed look at those later, but for now I’m just going to enjoy these 👍

49 minutes ago, Dantooine said:

Yes,, and it’s very evident you are as bad as me in this respect  

Ah, and like you, once I have established which eyepiece works for my tastes, I will be ruthless with the rest 🤣

Just come in from 30mins looking at Saturn and Jupiter together and as luck would have it, 14mm is just right on the StellaMira to get both in the frame of view together 😃

It has confirmed that the XW14 suffers badly from field curvature (in this scope), the Morpheus a little (but tolerable) and the Delos was excellent (none at all). More testing will follow, but Delos currently number one on that at least 🤔

Edited by HollyHound

3 hours ago, HollyHound said:

Ah, and like you, once I have established which eyepiece works for my tastes, I will be ruthless with the rest 🤣

Just come in from 30mins looking at Saturn and Jupiter together and as luck would have it, 14mm is just right on the StellaMira to get both in the frame of view together 😃

It has confirmed that the XW14 suffers badly from field curvature (in this scope), the Morpheus a little (but tolerable) and the Delos was excellent (none at all). More testing will follow, but Delos currently number one on that at least 🤔

That’s exactly how I feel about the ethos 13. Just tried it on the 200pds and none of my other eyepieces can better it. Orion Nebula looked fantastic. First light with the Rigel too.. that’s an easy bit of kit to set up and use, very pleased with it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dantooine said:

That’s exactly how I feel about the ethos 13. Just tried it on the 200pds and none of my other eyepieces can better it. Orion Nebula looked fantastic. First light with the Rigel too.. that’s an easy bit of kit to set up and use, very pleased with it. 

Sounds good, glad you’ve been able to get some time with the new scope and the Rigel... it’s a good finder 😊

I’ve been lucky here too, went shopping for an hour, came back and the sky had cleared, so just had 2 hours out with the Bresser, trying all the new eyepieces properly at last... interesting results, but need more testing before I write up a post comparing them 🤔

Just received my first OIII filter, from FLO and a sheet of Badder solar film.

Looks like I have a while to make the solar filter and same to test out the OIII due the rain, cloud, more rain, high winds, localized flooding, low cloud to ground level and thick fog.... let me see, did I miss anything? No that will do it.

Marv

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Just received my first OIII filter, from FLO and a sheet of Badder solar film.

Looks like I have a while to make the solar filter and same to test out the OIII due the rain, cloud, more rain, high winds, localized flooding, low cloud to ground level and thick fog.... let me see, did I miss anything? No that will do it.

Marv

Sun's out today Marvin, lol.

IMG_20201215_130916.jpg

• Like 2

Nagler T2 12mm.

I've only ever had one other premium TV, a 13mm T6, which was a nice, small, lightweight unit. Also a couple of their plossls in the past.

I was attracted by this one by its excellent reviews and it's a bigger unit altogether, slightly bigger than my Morpheus 17.5mm.

Looking forward to trying this one out!

Dave

IMG_20201215_205747661.jpg

IMG_20201215_205622294.jpg

IMG_20201215_205638733.jpg

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Nagler T2 12mm.

I've only ever had one other premium TV, a 13mm T6, which was a nice, small, lightweight unit. Also a couple of their plossls in the past.

I was attracted by this one by its excellent reviews and it's a bigger unit altogether, slightly bigger than my Morpheus 17.5mm.

Looking forward to trying this one out!

Dave

IMG_20201215_205747661.jpg

I suspect your hand’ll be around that for a long time, Dave.
Looks like a handlegrenade.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Well, I am very happy to be moving up to the next rung on the AP ladder 

I've upgraded my mount from a Star Adventurer Mini to a Star Adventurer 2i and today bought a ZWO ASI120MM-S MONO and a QHY mini guide scope as well as a CLS filter.

Can't wait to play with my new toys and learn more !

Cheers

• Like 4

Just arrived today a Lunt 2inch Herschal wedge and polarization filter, thanks to Vin. Also a solar finder for the 80ed frac. I'll now be able to image in white light and hydrogen Alpha. Hopefully get a Ca-K filter in the spring then I can image in three of the main wavelengths in the spring and summer. Assuming we get some sunshine 🌞 lol.

IMG_20201217_104020.jpg

IMG_20201217_104008.jpg

IMG_20201217_104115.jpg

• Like 13

Well after a disastrous evening imaging trying to combat dew ive decided to get some help, also thought it better to also get some help with guiding after struggling with phd and my qhy5 guide cam, enter the fight my new allies,,,,,,,,a ASI 120mm mini guide cam and a h-itech 4 channel dew controller 

20201217_173105.jpg

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Just arrived today a Lunt 2inch Herschal wedge and polarization filter, thanks to Vin. Also a solar finder for the 80ed frac. I'll now be able to image in white light and hydrogen Alpha. Hopefully get a Ca-K filter in the spring then I can image in three of the main wavelengths in the spring and summer. Assuming we get some sunshine 🌞 lol.

IMG_20201217_104020.jpg

IMG_20201217_104008.jpg

IMG_20201217_104115.jpg

I love my Lunt Herschel wedge! Enjoy! Hopefully you'll be able to resist touching the "Caution Hot Surface"...

😬

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Bringeth the Astronomy gear, bringeth the inclement weather. My bad. Sorry.

Shan't let that stop me playing with my new EAF though.

Nice solid piece of kit. Only gripe is that it doesn't come with a power supply, but nevermind. Not sure if it can be powered via the USB but assume not.

IMG_20201219_090012863.jpg

Edited by Mr Thingy
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

I power my hi-tech astro focuser via a usb hub. Not sure if the Eaf would be the same. 

IMG_20200820_202509__01.jpg

IMG_20200820_201848.jpg

Thanks. My camera has a built-in USB hub, so I may be able to do the same through that. I will do some experimenting later.

Nice setup, by the way!

• Thanks 1

By that was fast. Only ordered yesterday from FLO.

A blower.

Thought i'd try a Vixen SLV 12mm - a few favourable reviews on here from some knowledgeable people.  Hopefully a good all rounder for my scopes.

And a focal reducer just to see the difference in my little Mak. Worth a try for £19.

slv.png

• Like 5

Postie dropped a FLO parcel on my doorstep (pretty much literally, he's halfway down the drive when I get to the door). A nice book that I've been waiting to come back into stock - the famous "Turn Left". That's been salted away now since it's a Christmas prezzie. Only took 2 days by 24hr tracked - cheers RM, nothing like missing your targets to inspire confidence eh.

Also a camera adapter, not that I'm even thinking of the rabbit-hole of AP but the intrigue to see if I can get snapshots of bright things like the Moon.

• Like 1