Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What's on your Astro Christmas list?

mikeyj1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The wife doesn't like lists and insists that it should be all about surprises, plus she'd hate to have to look for astro stuff. So I've been treating myself to a 14mm 82degree ES and a Fujiyama 6mm ortho in the run up. Both second hand, but now I'm seriously broke!

I don't really want/expect anything astro this yr although if santa dropped (bad choice of words) a nice focuser and perhaps autofocus gubbings down the non existent chimney, I'd be a bit happy. In other words, I'm getting nowt astro this year :)

I asked for something astro and she said "I don't know what to get, you get it and I'll give you the money".  Ok Mesu200 has now been ordered :thumbright:

Can't wait to see her face when I give her the invoice.  Of course I'm paying for it, but I won't tell her that immediately :laugh:

2 minutes ago, John said:

I've nothing astro related on my Xmas list. Having spent about £6K on gear over the past few months I wouldn't have the nerve to ask for more ...... :rolleyes2:

And I'm told AP is expensive :D

Nothing astro related. I wouldnt trust anyone apart from myself to buy it anyway. I do like surprises. I recently bought myself a new tv and uuber portable/compact BR player for my bedroom. My mother said "I'll pay for it and it can be your christmas present".

Sorry mother but you aint getting off that easily. You will have to use your imagination and stop putting your name to stuff i buy for myself.

Besides......i dont use the astro gear i already have. No point in buying more stuff which will not be used now til maybe Spring (if i'm lucky).

About the only thing i may buy myself next is a bino viewer to use on my 8se. I dont even know if they will work with the scope so lots of research needed.

Just thought of it........i DO need some more "wonder fluid". Not for use on my scopes or bins. It works fantastically well on spectacles.

19 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

I'm also hoping to treat myself to a decent rendition of M78 - but I say that every year!!!

I've already failed that one this year - I got the image but it's not a decent rendition :hmh:

My small list includes a Bahtinov mask for the telescope I recently received as a birthday present for a birthday I haven't had yet! As a complete contradiction, I also have a list of electronic components and a project box that when soldered together will allow me to remotely swap my focus controller between two focus motors so that I can choose which telescope to autofocus.

21 hours ago, xtreemchaos said:

ive had off my kids some very nice celestron sky masters 25x100 binos, my cat smeguls got me a c6-n newt what arrives on Monday, the wife got me some oculus rift VR headset. I'm very happy.  charl.

Charl - your family and Smegul are most generous.  But what are you giving them (the cat in particular)?

Doug.

12 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Charl - your family and Smegul are most generous.  But what are you giving them (the cat in particular)?

hi Doug, smegul gets a years worth of Dreames, kids got money, stuff to wear, car brakedown cover, misses gets new food mixer,money and holiday next year. clear skys allround would be great too. charl.

21 hours ago, chiltonstar said:

Being able to see a star in the East, or any other direction wouldn't be a bad start as an Xmas prezzie.........

Chris

Ditto.

Clear skies will suffice.

No point in buying still more equipment, when it just sits there night after night.

Mick.

1 hour ago, wxsatuser said:

Already got mine thanks to FLO.

Set of Warren's PI DVDs and the book, plus an Astro PS  book.

Plus I got an 85mm Sharpstar 2 from Lonely Speck.

The videos are good. I reviewed the first set for AN and was disappointed not to have been sent the next set as a sequel!

Olly

A right angled polarscope adapter as after my fractiured knee I am not going to be able to kneel down to polar align at least for the foresseable future.  I guess I could always learn to polar align with the handset as well.

Some-one has kindly offered to make an adapter for a camera right angled finder which I already have.  

Carole 

My very lovely wife had been looking through some of my posts on here and had realised I needed a folding camping table to keep my atlases on when out observing, but unfortunately I beat her too it. But it really was the thought that counted.  So instead on my list is:

• Sky & Telescope subscription (I had been downloading it but I can't get on with digital copies)
  • A dew shield for my Telrad
  • A 2" UHC filter (just opting for the SW version at this stage)
  • A more reliable red torch
  • A fully loaded pre-paid Clear-Night Card, which allows on-demand access to pristine skies from any participating back garden.

Paul

15 minutes ago, FenlandPaul said:

My very lovely wife had been looking through some of my posts on here

What a terrifying prospect! I hope my dear lady never finds the time to do that. She might establish what the true 'scope kit to reality' exchange rate is!!!! ;) 

23 minutes ago, FenlandPaul said:

My very lovely wife had been looking through some of my posts on here

What a terrifying prospect! I hope my dear lady never finds the time to do that. She might establish what the true 'scope kit to reality' exchange rate is!!!! ;) 

Lol, well I had to" fess up" this week due to my fractured leg and everything still being set up in the obsy.  I had to tell hubby the financial consequences of not getting the kit in from the obsy and leaving it outside untouched all winter while I recover.  Also the cost of running the dehumidifier constantly as an alternative.  I was a bit economical with the truth, but gave him enough to realise the importance of getting it done.  Ha ha.

He is now going out there once a week and switching the dehumidifier on for 24 - 48 hours each week to try to keep the dampness to a minimum as I stil have the mount on the pier. 

Carole 

Archived